Another CPJ Recruiting Thread

I don’t think CPJ ever adjusted to a level of football where recruiting really matters. When he was at Southern, games were won or lost on scheme - there was more parity between rosters at that level. At Navy, recruiting obviously was not the same focus as it is at other D1A schools. He was able to compensate for a talent deficiency with scheme and was particularly adept at overwhelming teams who had not played his offense before. Those experiences did not translate to Tech and it was getting worse each year.

This plus not adjusting his own style of managing was the downfall, things like not having a play call sheet or full live 2 days a week. Bananas

I don’t think CPJ would have recruited a top 10 team regardless of where he was.

He would have won a national championship with a top 25 team though.

In the end, the most effective possible place for CPJ in all of football would be as OC and Assistant HC of Nebraska, with a HC who only cared about recruiting. A Dabo clone. That would be the perfect setup.

As it was, CPJ was a good coach here. Certainly the best since 1990. But he lost the fans, and the way he went out was really tremendously good for everyone involved, especially GT. The only remaining question is not whether CGC can market, or whether he can recruit, it's whether he can coach. I refuse to adopt an opinion on that until I've seen four games. Y'all would be wise to do the same.

That is a fair assessment for Southern, especially with the playoffs. Not so sure about the lack of opponent experience at Navy, but I buy the rest. Im not sure what the root cause(s) of CPJ’s twilight were at Tech, whether they were scheme or coaching. The scheme didn’t attract elite talent, but I recall some coaching decisions in the latter years that were head scratchers compared to the play calling style in the former years. I’m OK accepting that it is some degree of both without knowing the weighting for either.

The scheme wasn’t necessarily the problem insomuch as how it was ran.

He would have won a national championship with a top 25 team though.

In the end, the most effective possible place for CPJ in all of football would be as OC and Assistant HC of Nebraska, with a HC who only cared about recruiting. A Dabo clone. That would be the perfect setup.

As it was, CPJ was a good coach here. Certainly the best since 1990. But he lost the fans, and the way he went out was really tremendously good for everyone involved, especially GT. The only remaining question is not whether CGC can market, or whether he can recruit, it's whether he can coach. I refuse to adopt an opinion on that until I've seen four games. Y'all would be wise to do the same.

I plan to overreact to the first game, no matter what happens. Maybe even on a play by play basis.

Who created this meme? I don’t think it’s true
I think the reports of GOL fighting against the hill and having guys fail out of school. Him complaining about GT wanting to be (whatever school) during the week and (whatever school) on Saturday. Followed by a bunch of guys failing out at the beginning of Gaileys years followed by some really good players here but no quality depth. Braine saying we will always be a 7 and 5 team. The rumors of coaches having a certain limited number of special admits they can use each year. Rumors that CPJ decided to rarely use such. GT having the highest SAT score of all FBS teams while competitors are creating fake classes. Stuff like that. So either GT is more difficult or it’s not. I’ll leave it up to all of you.
GSU has a good roster of players while CPJ was there for their level.
The new coaches seem to be going in a good direction but until many of this years class actually signs then it’s still hype. I hope they all sign and we get lots more. Until games are played and more recruits are gathered and SIGN. Nothing is certain.

Last edited:
Yes, please give us your detailed assessment on how Paul ööööing Johnson failed to run the flexbone correctly.

I don’t particularly care to waste time trying to convince someone who doesn’t care to engage in good faith and hasn’t in the past. Find me at a tailgate this year and we can chat about it over a beer. Maybe you’ll get pissed off and follows Johnson’s advice to “Punch em in the face!”

Yes, please give us your detailed assessment on how Paul ööööing Johnson failed to run the flexbone correctly.
Paul Johnson was a moron who did not know how to coach. We needed tight ends, short passes and tons of play action passing. The whole ööööing point of a football program is to get athletes into the professional league. We failed miserably. Instead, we had 'student-athletes' 'graduating' and 'being successful' in the business world.

What the ööööing hell type of öööö is this?

Football programs are meant to look just like the pro programs where athletes are well paid- Clemson, UGA, Cleveland, Green Bay. Paul Johnson 'succeeded' at 'having a program that represented the institute.'

You show me a a ööööing 'institute' in the SEC and I'll eat your name tag from McDonalds. WE NEED FOOTBALL FACTORY STANDARDS.

LOWER THE BAR AND LET THE ATHLETES DRINK AT THAT BAR WITH FAKE ID'S.

No wonder you're a second rate fan, Tom Sawyer. Go Huck Finn Yourself.

Well, having OL in a 3pt stances with 80% of their weight in their hand led horrific pass protection
you're a ööööing left wing liberal. running the ball is what Ronald Reagan would have done. NOBODY throws the ball but communists.

:)

So either GT is more difficult or it’s not.

Or it is "more difficult" but a lot of people blow it out of proportion or use it as an excuse when it suits their argument. I haven't really seen anyone claim we don't have higher standards than the factories, just that those standards don't preclude us from fielding a more talented team than the ones we've been fielding recently.

Well, having OL in a 3pt stances with 80% of their weight in their hand led horrific pass protection

I for one am impressed we had 300+lb lineman who put 80% of their weight on their hands all game. These guys must have been able to do some pretty impressive hand stands. 300+lb dudes walking on their hands is pretty impressive. Kudos to Paul for recruiting such incredible athletes.

I don't think anyone would dispute CPJ knows how to run his offense better than anyone. But it's interesting to think about what it would have been like had he continued experimenting with it, post Vad Lee. Getting back to basics with JT5 certainly worked in the short term and I think he swore off any further modifications which could have made it more passing and recruiting friendly after that.

Ya, he hated recruiting so much that he won our first OB in 50 years, beat more Top 5 and Top 10 teams since Dodd, beat UGA x2, and wrestled away one of our all time great QBs from Darth Saban.

TL;DR...öööö off.
I dont think anyone denies that PJ can win games, even his haters. I think you are in denial, though, if you think the system doesnt hurt recruiting big time. Yes we did win Justin Thomas over Bama *but* we got him as a QB rather than the 4-star DB that Bama and everyone else recruited him for. Do you think he would've come to GT if we said he must play DB like everyone else? The long-term W-L trend for GT was definitely on the downward slope too.

tl;dr... our program was in decline and it was time for a change, like PJ or not

Back