Another fun BuzzOff story for you

Re: GTCrew, you and other FOC\'ers on this board

Barrel, thanks for this post. I have run across these people as well and while they expect more they are happy with the direction and the ones specifically say that they should give him 5 years for his plan and then re evalute. To some again this sounds like mediocrity and I can assure you these people didn't get rich by mediocrity.

Re: NCJacket, GT_Crew trashed Col Stevens the

Well I was accused of being gay on Buzzoff so what's the difference? Like I said, I didn't see anybody slam Col. Stevens. If they did and I missed it you could point it out. As for your common sense recruiting approach you didn't say anything about the math issue I brought up. What would your answer to that be?

BOR, I don\'t care if you have a red phone

to Braine's office. I'll admit I don't know the pipe smokers who give big money. The fans in the West stands are smaller money donors who are passionate about Tech football. They are concerned about the direction of the program. Most fans don't post on internet message boards. Even the Hive only represents a small percentage of fans. It was Braine not Beebad who said he expected significant improvement in 2005. Maybe you should talk to those fans masquerading as empty seats. That's seems to be our fastest growing fan segment.

Wait a minute techie

didn't BOR just say he was expecting big things next year? The only difference is that he's saying he, and many people, have been disappointed in our results the last few years but overall happy with the direction they saw to the program.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't our attendance been pretty consistent? We haven't picked up enough to fill the new seats, but I didn't think we were down.

Re: BOR, I don\'t care if you have a red phone

[ QUOTE ]
to Braine's office. I'll admit I don't know the pipe smokers who give big money. The fans in the West stands are smaller money donors who are passionate about Tech football. They are concerned about the direction of the program. Most fans don't post on internet message boards. Even the Hive only represents a small percentage of fans. It was Braine not Beebad who said he expected significant improvement in 2005. Maybe you should talk to those fans masquerading as empty seats. That's seems to be our fastest growing fan segment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a lot of fans that sit in both West and East. I used to sit in the West stands. After the reseating, I now sit in the East stands. Everyone I know is expecting big things from the program and think Gailey can get us there. The people I know are supportive of Gailey and right now, like him as our coach. The only concern, if you want to call it that, that I see is that many people, like myself, expect a markedly improved season over years past. Again, most of us think that will happen.

I also think attendance has stayed pretty much the same. I seem to recall that during a couple of games this year it was slightly down, but by no means to a point that would hint at a fan revolution, like you guys advertise.

NC, it\'s the same math requirement when

Daryl Smith and James Butler were admitted. Despite what you hear on this board, they would not be admitted under the current standards. BOR, the AA won't release season ticket sales but gives vague statments like "about the same". Translated: they were down a couple of thousand. The UVA crowd was disappointing and Brian Murphy of the Telegraph mentioned it as well. We were offering group discounts and free hot dogs and drinks for Duke and Connecticut. A lot of fans don't believe Gailey is the answer. There are serious concerns about the direction of the football program. It's more than just a handful of fans.

Look at the actual attendance figures.

Are they down or up.

Did I mention GT stinks. Worst. Team. Ever.

Re: Look at the actual attendance figures.

attendance was down in 2004 compared with 2003.

that being said we had an attractive home slate in 2003 with Auburn, Clemson, NC State, Maryland, UNC and UGA.

last year's home slate was pretty weak...Samford, Duke and UConn are never going to be big draws.

And one more thing....

I go to all the away games. Always scalp tickets, 90% of the time i'm deep in the equivalent of the West stands. There isn't a single time where someone isn't whining about the coach. Normally it's plenty of people. I learn a lot from observing others. Many people are just overwhelmingly negative. Many of those people are very loud.

Every village has a group who think they know more than the coaches. That think that if it weren't for bonehead moves by the HC the team would be undefeated. Don't think for a second that means Bobby or Fridge are on the hot seat. Some people just need/like/want to vent.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a very sarcastic person myself, and far from a touchy-feely type. But I try hard to keep my negativity confined to the refs and try to stay supportive even when something doesn't go our way. I'm surprised my lip isn't disfigured from biting it back when Fridge would throw for five on third and eight for the tenth time in a row. I really believe that athletes perform better with positive reinforcement. If the players felt the way you do about coach, how hard would they work in the off-season?

Tearing down the program is what you and toe and a few others are doing. I still doubt you have re-read your post titled "I'm being negative?". In it you defend yourself as being not negative with two strongly negative comments, a neutral one (at best) and the only positive thing you can say is Col Stevens is doing a great job. Is that really the only thing that is going right? Shouldn't the players just give up now and enjoy a spring/summer of drunken college revelry? Why in tarnation should they work out and run themselves ragged?

How about vs 2002 and 2001?

Barring 100% plus attendance, the UGA years will always exceed the non UGA years. Lets look at attendance for 2005 and if it goes up we'll draw what conclusion?

Re: NC, it\'s the same math requirement when

UA 55000
clem 53189
ncstate 50113
mary 51524
unc 52346
ga 55000

that's why attendance was great, every other year it's going to be this way. last years schedule wasn't a big draw therefore people aren't attracted to that schedule. That's why i say drop the patsies and bring back UT and ALA and FLA. Spin it anyway you wan't but i remember going to games in athens in HS that had choir day (yes i said choir) band day and so forth and they were doing the same thing we are doing today. I give two hotdogs a ticket to get new jackets in the stadium understanding that some of those will go to visiting teams.

I have had lots of friends introduced to Tech this way and all complimented on how they were trying to reach out. and in the end some bought season tickets and became GT fans.

Marketing might not be perfect and i don't agree with everything but making an attempt to pull families or schools in is a great idea.

Re: How about vs 2002 and 2001?

Vandy 43719
BYU 43719
Wake 43719
UVA 42727
FSU 43719
Duke 41335

Citadel 41804
Clemson 41924
maryland 40574
NC State 41942
UNC 41893
UGA 41974

Those years look pretty similar when you consider we added those 1800 seats I believe in the end zone before the 2002 season. Essentially it looks like we virtually had sell out crowds in every 2001 game except for Maryland (I think that was a thursday night game...Joe Burns running out of bounds game). 2002 looks like only the UVA and Duke games weren't sell outs.

I thought the folks in the lower West were always sleeping. Its been that way for years. I sit in the upper east and wonder where we get all of those cardboard cutouts. I've sat there a very few times. If you yell "Give 'em HELL Tech!" they flinch like you have just offended them or something. Just kidding West folks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Upper East Baby! (of course it is a buncha drunks) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I thought the folks in the lower West were always sleeping. Its been that way for years. I sit in the upper east and wonder where we get all of those cardboard cutouts. I've sat there a very few times. If you yell "Give 'em HELL Tech!" they flinch like you have just offended them or something. Just kidding West folks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Upper East Baby! (of course it is a buncha drunks) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ABSOLUTLEY! The upper east is where I've had the best times at BDS@HGF! And yes, you all are a bunch of drunks!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drink1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif
(Not that there aren't a bunch of us in the lower east. ;) )

Re: NC, it\'s the same math requirement when

I'm not so sure about that techie. I know when I was in school there was a series of math classes that most athletes took that was prep for the Mgt Math series. I'm not sure they can continue to take those and still meet the new progress towards their degree requirement. Anybody out there know for sure? My point is, I do think things have changed, but I'm not sure we had much choice.

Back