Another fun BuzzOff story for you

Re: I don\'t know if Hawkins would come to Tech.

Techie, if you're going to use history, at least use ALL of it. Yes we were 26-9-1 from 89-91, but we were 5-17 in Ross' first two years. (we were 20-11-1 in the 3 years before he arrived so you can make a pretty good argument that Ross may have had the worst two first years of any coach in Tech history.)

We were 27-7 from 98-01 under O'Leary but we were also 18-16 in the three years prior to that. Going back a little further, prior to '85 the last time we won 9 games in a year was '70. Before that it was '66 and before that it was '56.

None of that is to excuse any losses or poor records. It's simply to say that you can't pluck two 3 year periods over the last 16 years and use it to prove anything, except that our football success has been pretty fleeting.

Re: Hawkins is 44-7 at Boise State.

[ QUOTE ]
However, with all the returning starters, I don't see why 7-4 is so great. When do we stop getting excuses and revisionist history and start getting results?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you are using revisionist history if you keep taking words and putting them into people's mouths. I don't think anyone believes 7-4 is "great". What 7-4 is next year with our shedule is "acceptable".

Call me settling for mediocrity, but like most, I realize that Dan Hawkins wouldn't be so great if he played in the ACC. In fact, I think Dan Hawkins would be a spitting image of Tommy Bowden, which is something I definately don't want at Tech.

Re: I don\'t know if Hawkins would come to Tech.

We dont need Hawkins or Johnson. A good head coach will hire good assistants and let them do thier job while he is a PR man.
This once proud program is now very little known outside I-285 and there is no personality there now to help it get any better
Every great coach today was once an unknown assistant and every AD should have a list of names. It isnt our place to choose a coach so why even discuss it. Let him earn his big bucks

Here are the facts JOJATK

McHargue had a 1140 SAT. Pullen had a 3.4 GPA and 950 SAT. Both would have qualified under the CURRENT standards. McHargue could have been a preferred walk-on with his SAT score. You act like Gailey is doing a great job. However, Gailey is in charge of the offense and Tenuta is in charge of the defense. Tenuta has produced a top 15 defense. Gailey has produced a top 90 offense. I think it's easy to say coaches like Johnson and Hawkins would fail at Tech. Both Hawkins and Johnson have won consistently where they've been. Do you think it's easy to recruit at Boise State or the Naval Academy? Johnson keeps his Navy teams competive with only a handful of recruits that are D-1 caliber. Boise State is nowhere near any of the recruiting hotbeds. Yet, Hawkins is producing WAC Championships and teams that can compete against a Louisville team that barely lost at Miami. Gailey has excellent facilties and plays in the ACC. With all that, he's having to lure UAB commits to get offensive lineman.
NCJacket, since the facilities improvement and Ross got the players to buy into the more discplined approach, it's been a different era. Since 1989, Tech has had 11 seven or better seasons out of 16. Tech has had 6 eight win seasons in that time frame. It remains to be seen if Gailey can put up 7 win or better seasons when he's not gravy-training O'Leary recruits.

Re: Here are the facts JOJATK

[ QUOTE ]
You act like Gailey is doing a great job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go again misrepresenting things. Where did I say that Gailey was doing a great job? You apparently see things as black and white when the world doesn't always work that way. If I think that replacing a coach at this point prior to the season is counterproductive or that he was dealt a rough hand then that of course means I think he's doing a great job, right?

Quite honestly I don't know what kind of job he's done because I don't know what other coaches could have done in his place, and neither do you, no matter what might think. And as for Hawkins and Johnson I don't think it's easy to recruit at those places. I think it is a lot easier to win when you play teams like they do rather than Miami, VT, UVa, Auburn, etc...

But there you go again, thinking that it is all black and white. If I don't think things will be as easy (this is relative, remember, not absolute) for those guys at GT as they are where they coach now then I must think they'd be failures. But the REAL fact is that I don't know if they would succeed here or not, and again, neither do you. But I do believe that bringing anyone in at this point would likely be counterproductive. And as for recruiting I don't know anything about how to recruit to a service academy so I can't speak to that but I think it IS easier to recruit the kinds of kids you need in order to win at BSU against the competition they play than it is to recruit the kinds of kids you need in order to win at GT against the competition we play. I happen to believe that we'd destroy most of the teams, if not all of them, that are usually on BSU's schedule. I could be wrong but that's my opinion.

As a matter of course I'll tell you what I think of the job Coach Gailey has done. I think he's done a decent job. Not great, not awesome, not bad, not pathetic. Decent. That's my personal assesment and it is based on my own observations and the observations of people I feel are a lot smarter about football than I am.

As for Pullen and McHargue getting in now that is relatively meaningless. They were brought in and they flunked out. They were kids O'Leary evaluated with his staff and thought could hack it but couldn't. I know plenty of people who had WAY better grades than those kids who flunked out of GT as you might as well :)

you are naive to not give the HC credit when the defense performs at a high level.

Also I believe CG is recruiting "better" students than O'leary did. It will take time for these facts to show a difference but I expect to see the graduation rates steadily increase.

With the new policies of the NCAA everyone will have to be more student oriented but it will affect GT much more b/c of the limited course study.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pat.gif and about the Tenuta defense when it breaks down (VT game or UNC game) I never see the posts that say this is Tenuta's D and not CG's fought.

techie, you're right, it remains to be seen. Finally something we all agree on.

One other thing 3518, I have nothing against you..

...or most people who don't feel Gailey is the right man for the job. I think that there is a big difference between the folks who want Gailey to fail more than they want GT to succeed and the people who either are unhappy with the job being done currently and are rationally saying that or that they are unsatisfied with the results we've had.

Let me say also that I'm not anywhere near satisfied with the win totals we've had. But by the same token that doesn't mean I don't recognize that we've done some very good things in the face of adversity (and likewise layed some pretty big eggs in the face of prosperity - aha, you didn't think I'd say that, did you :)). I do believe, however, that our best chance at a good season (good being better than what we've had thus far) this coming season is to stay with our current coaches and then at the end of the season see where we are and if we're on a road that leads to more consistently higher win totals (no, I won't give a definitive number ;)).

Re: One other thing 3518, I have nothing against you..

[ QUOTE ]
Gailey is in charge of the offense and Tenuta is in charge of the defense

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, being head coach, Gailey in in charge of the entire team.

Re: One other thing 3518, I have nothing against you..

[ QUOTE ]
he's having to lure UAB commits

[/ QUOTE ]

Which players committed to UAB? Will Miller. Who Else? Miller is a fine young O-Lineman, but I don't see any others. I had no idea that we has lured "commits" away from UAB. I can only find him. Tell me the others. You must be awfully disappointed to get Mr. Miller, who happens to be a 4.0 student. Or is this you just playing "loose" with the facts about our signees to make your point? Here's his scout.com description

[ QUOTE ]
A 4.0 student, Miller has brains and brawn. An active offensive lineman, Miller could end up playing any one of the three positions on the offense line: center, guard or tackle.

[/ QUOTE ]

There seems to be a lot of inconsistency

We hear Gailey's getting these sleeper recruits and they will surprise everybody. Now, we can't recruit well enough to compete. If we are getting recruits as good as people like JJacket say we are, we should hold our own. Miami and UGA lost players early to the NFL. If we are keeping these good players 4 years, shouldn't we have an advantage in certain years to these teams suffering NFL defections? Gailey didn't hire Tenuta. Gailey hired Rick Smith. Dave Braine brought in Tenuta and Gailey signed off on it. JJacket, I'll support any player who comes to Tech. However, if you look back in 2000 and 2001, we were going head to head against FSU and UGA. Now, we go head to head with Duke, Wake Forest and Ole Miss.
BTW, if you think it's easy to win at Boise State. Houston Nutt, who was courted by Nebraska and LSU, went 4-7 at Boise State.

Re: There seems to be a lot of inconsistency

The only consitant thing is YOU and the buzzoffer's ingnoring the GOOD that CCG brings to the program.

Teckie, none of those schools are GT and beleive me there is a difference. Teckie you are also talking about 3 years in 7. We have even more difficult recruiting restrictions since flunk gate. SA's coming to TECH know that it is hard here that has a profound effect on recruiting. Academeics have had a most pronounced effect on GT atheitics since Dodds frist 12 years. He had one of the best runs ever in college football but even he could not duplicate it his last 10 and we have never had ANYONE that was a better coach or recruiter than he was.

Jonnson and Hawkins are not coming to GT. Teckie, WHY would they come?

Houston Nutt at Boise State

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, if you think it's easy to win at Boise State. Houston Nutt, who was courted by Nebraska and LSU, went 4-7 at Boise State.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some more information about this. Actually Houston Nutt went 5-6 in his first year at Boise State including a win over archrival Idaho. Consider that the previous year Boise State had gone 2-9 and was ranked dead last among the 112 DIA programs and that ain't bad.

law_bee, I'm at the point that I'm not sure that 12 & 0 will satisfy some of the ones that hate CCG so much that they would rather see us fail than Him succeed.

[ QUOTE ]
We hear Gailey's getting these sleeper recruits and they will surprise everybody. Now, we can't recruit well enough to compete

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said he's getting "sleeper" recruits. I have said he's getting fine recruits. I see nothing in any of our players HS stats that point to them being "sleepers". I also know of no one that said we can't recruit well enough to compete. You seem to be having reading comprehension problems with my posts. Get your head out of your ass and READ my posts.

[ QUOTE ]
Gailey didn't hire Tenuta. Gailey hired Rick Smith. Dave Braine brought in Tenuta and Gailey signed off on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said he didn't. I said Gailey is the head coach and is in charge of the team. This includes Tenuta - whether you want to admit it or not.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll support any player who comes to Tech.

[/ QUOTE ]

By looking down the end of your nose at him because he had once verballed to UAB? Some support. Or should I call it support "buzzoff" style?

[ QUOTE ]
Now, we go head to head with Duke, Wake Forest and Ole Miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gasp! UGAg got a QB from Duke, so I guess they are off track in recruiting too. UGAg also had players that had considered East Carolina, Duke, Vandy, Central Florida, Central Michigan, Troy State etc..... And by the way, we have gotten players away from UGAg, FSU, Miami, Alabama and LSU since 2000. Pay attention - see this year.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, Nutt didn't spend a full year at Boise State. So your point is worthless.

It's a lot easier to win at BS than it will ever be at GT.

JJacket, your posts are usually one or two lines

so they aren't that hard to comprehend. We've got some good recruits in the Gailey years but not nearly enough of them. Yes, we do beat out Florida State's and UGA's for a few recruits but not the way we did 5 years ago. Maybe you can answer this question with more than a one liner. We have 10 starters returning on defense, a QB with 25 starts, Calvin and PJ. Miami, VPI, UNC, UGA, UConn and Auburn all lose multi-year starters at QB. With the Gailey recruits that people on this board are saying are better and more athletic than the O'Leary recruits to fill holes in the o-line, #2 and #3 WR, and depth in general, why can't we do better than 7-4 in 2005?

well, as ronald reagan once said , here we go again, no one would want to coach at this crappy place.

Re: JJacket, your posts are usually one or two lines

Who says we can't do better than 7-4? Your posts still amaze me. I don't know what you're reading or how you are interpreting this thread, but most feel we have a chance to be pretty good next year. Pretty good to me is more than 7 wins (see above). I haven't seen anyone say we can't win more than 7 except for some who don't like Chan. So which is it? Are you saying we don't have the talent or we do? I think I'm getting confused.

Back