another question for the Gailey haters.....?

law_bee

Dodd-Like
If CG goes into Miami and wins will you support CG and the team?

I believe that the Auburn game will be repeated when we travel to Coral Gables.

[ QUOTE ]
not a gailey hater, just not a gailey supporter.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing more that I would like than to see us go 9-2, or 8-3 this year, but I just don't see it happening. I honestly hope that these guys can pull it out, and I'll be at all the home games, and more than one of the aways left to support them.

It is not that we lose, the records have been soso, but alright for where we are as a program right now. Its HOW we lose (and often beat ourselves) that I see as showing a significant problem in the coaching. I believe that that is how many of CGs critics also feel.

You posted the same thing going into

the VT game last year. That game, and the past one, has done more to turn fans than any other, except perhaps the 51-7 game at uga. Look, its clear that you will be clutching on to him for dear life as he cleans out his office. He has 6 games left to win over those of us who do not think the sun rises and sets at his command. Attempted comparisons to Coach Dodd will win you no converts. He has had his last blow out, his last half of a no-show offense, and his last opportunity to explain his inability to manage his team and coaches on the sidelines. His teams must come out motivated and play hard and smart the entire game. STs must improve. RB must show progress in his execution, and must keep his head in the game rather than jawing with the defense and other team's sidelines. A win at um would be nice, but a silly loss (as per his pattern) afterward would doom him. His team must make a bowl game, and play hard and competitively with duke, um, clemson, uva, wake, and most importantly uga, That's what it will take for me to be willing to put up with him for another year, at the most.

ps. I don't hate the man, but I am becoming increasing uncomfortable with you insinuations that everyone who does not support him hates him. You are not playing to a jury here. You are not persuading anybody to change over to your side. Best try a different tactic.

Lawb, you should stop posting about GT FB and cg we all know you think he is the second coming of Dodd.

I think you should concentrat on practcing law and not making excuses for cg. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/FIREdevil.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If CG goes into Miami and wins will you support CG and the team?

I believe that the Auburn game will be repeated when we travel to Coral Gables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't support what has turned out to be a model of inconsistency.

how bout answering the question....

after the Auburn game you all disappeared.

Hopefully, after the Miami game you all will disappear again.

The point I am making with this post is there is NOTHING CG can do for you people to support GT while he is the coach.

You people live in an 11-0 dream world. Dodd went 12-10 against ugag. He went to 2 bowls his first 7 years (one of them the oil). He also had 2 sub .500 teams and he took over the SEC champs.

Dodd had the blowout too. 33-0 to ugag etc.

I am a season tix holder so when you run CG off and bring in some sub .500 guy I will be the one to suffer.

Re: how bout answering the question....

The recruiting classes and the mis management of the clock have settled my feelings with him and there is no way I could ever support him
I did not like this hire from day one so I am prejudiced.
Does anyone else think he will retire at the end of this season ?

33-0 in the Dodd era was just as bad as 51-7, I'd think.

i beg your pardon, after the auburn i made the quote on this board that 1 game does not a season make. also, we are season ticket holders also and we are not happy with the direction of this team.

it is FAR WORSE....

Dodd takes over the reigning SEC Champs and then proceeds to 4-6. He loses his last 3 home games. Dodd loses AT HOME TO UGAG 33-0.

There is NO WAY that CG has ever dropped the ball like that. If we would have had these internet fans back then we could have ran Dodd off right away.

Could you imagine the posts when you are the SEC champs and then go 4-6.

Re: it is FAR WORSE....

I did not support the cg hire. cg stated before he took the job that he wanted to win the ACC and beat ugay. Well GT has a losing record the last 3.5 years in the ACC and we still have not beat ugay.

The biggest thing that pisses me off about cg is that he stated he would never be the HC and OC again and that he learned from his mistakes at Dallas. As we all know cg is the offensive mastermind behind this GT team.

You focers/docers are whatever really piss me off when you say that nobody wants to come to Tech and coach a D-I program in the ACC.

Thats the problem you focers/docers don't thnk GT can do better. THATS BS! We can do better and deserve better.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Reigning SEC champs went 8-3 the year before. So its not as bad of a fall as it seems, though still pretty bad. But theres a lot of other issues there I'm sure, what kind of players did they lose, etc. We cannot judge then, as we were not there and do not have that information.

Also, almost everyone is willing to give an incoming coach 1 year, unless they're completely irrational. You fail to mention that Dodd went 9-2, then 10-1 the next year, followed by two 7-3 seasons. Those are big changes. Thats averaging somewhere around 70%, which the vast majority of us would be pretty happy with, as that would be between 7 and 8 wins on average these days with 11 game schedule.

I too am a football season ticker holder. I also have basketball season tickets and I contribute several thousand dollars a year to the athletic program.

You may or may not suffer should we hire a new football coach but I am suffering now.

Not a flame against you RPeck.. But.... This sounds like excuses.

[ QUOTE ]
But theres a lot of other issues there I'm sure, what kind of players did they lose, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres a difference between excuses and reasons. If all the starters were gone from the year before, plus a coaching change, you can't really expect a lot more, we don't know... or at least I don't cause I don't have access to many records from that era. Putting our thoughts and values on another time don't work, even when we have all the facts, we're often very biased one way or another.

But I will concede that that could be taken as making excuses. My point this stands about the increase in performance in Dodds next 3 years.

I'm beginning to wonder if you support CG because you want to remain second fiddle to that "other" school you attended. Only because of the reaches you use to support Coach Gailey are sometimes completely and totally ridiculous.

Who is \"you people\"

I think the point you miss lawbee is that more people who have been fairly supportive of Gailey over his tenure are concerned about where we're headed. It's not the same old group that has been after him since he was announced as the new coach. I'm personally afraid that he's left himself very little room for error the rest of the year. It's not simply losing to NCState, I'm not all that surprised they won the game. It's what it means overall. If we beat Miami he creates some breathing room and can end the season on a high note. But if you assume we lose to Miami and ugag (not saying we will, but we won't be favored), then he has to beat Duke, Wake, Clemson and UVA to finish 7-4. Anything worse and there is no way to make the case that the team is improving. In particular if we have any more blowouts or bad losses, he will really be in trouble.

The issue Braine/Clough will have to face is whether you extend a coach with a record of 6-5. I don't think you realistically can, the fan base will erupt, especially the big donors. If you don't extend you almost have to buy him out and hire someone else for next year. If nothing else we would kill recruiting if we didn't. Who would sign with a coach in the last year of his contract?

If he does win 8, then they would be justified in an extension IMO. 7 would be a tough call...I don't have any idea what they would do. I know the litany of reasons why he's had to overcome more issues out of his control than most coaches have. I also know all about the first coach to have 3 winning seasons, bowl games, etc. But are you satisfied where we are as a program right now? If you can honestly say yes, then you should be in his corner. It's just that many people aren't and his contract has almost run it's course. If he doesn't finish strong I think we'll be making a change.

BTW, I don't buy the "no one will come here" argument either. We won't get a high profile coach in all likelihood, but I don't necessarily think we should go after one anyway. A lower level winner, like Tressel or Grobe, who can bring his whole staff with him, and who sees Tech and the ACC as the big jump is who we should be looking for when/if the time comes. Yeah, maybe he'll have success and bolt, but that's only a problem if we make a mistake with the next hire after him IMO.

Calling you out Lawbee

I want to make this crystal clear, forgive me if you've already stated it:

Do you honestly believe that Gailey is a legendary coach, worthy of having the coach of the year award named after him? Is he in the same category as Bobby Dodd in terms of coaching ability as compared to his college coaching peers of his day?

Just state it outright.

if you ONLY knew how much I support GT....

that being said I am probably guilty of being a defense lawyer and I find myself defending EVERYBODY including the indefensible.

That being said do you think it is odd that Fridge, Groh, Bowden (probably both), Gailey, Amato, Bunting, and Coker all have a significant portion of their fan base that want a coaching change?

The reality is it is tough to coach in the ACC nowadays. If we replace CG statistically we will do the same or worse. The only candidate that ON PAPER would be better than CG is the Pittsburgh OC and I don't think we could get him.

It is easy to say bring in somebody new. Does anyone think we are going to get a better coach then the MIGHTY FRIDGE? The way he is struggling w/ MD recruiting I am convinced we would be sub .500 if he was our coach.

I think the classy thing to do would be to wait til the end of the season then post your criticisms. For people to rip the coach and players when there is MUCH football to play reeks of the Dawg Vent mentality.

If we end the season 9-2 there should be NO GT FANS that are not 100% behind the coaches and players.

I remember after the Auburn game you were supporting CG so now you have changed your mind again.

I imagine the Tennessee fans are ripping their coach right now as well.

Back