another question for the Gailey haters.....?

the problem is Dodd would not have been....

the point is Dodd was not legendary until after 7 seasons (1st SEC championship) and he endured 2 sub .500 seasons prior to that SEC championship.

The reality is it takes time to build a winner especailly in a conference w/ VT, Miami, and F$U.

Dodd took over SEC champs and then posted a losing record. The fanbase and admins gave him an opportunity to build a winner.

For some reason I feel like many of the Gailey Hater are also Lotto tix purchasers.

Is there anyone on this board that hates Gailey that HAS NOT purchased a lotto ticket?

Re: if you ONLY knew how much I support GT....

Thank you lawbee for an optimistic post. Amen and kudos to you, whatever a kudo really is. Sounds good anyway.

"that being said I am probably guilty of being a defense lawyer and I find myself defending EVERYBODY including the indefensible."...Law_bee

Well...that pretty much sums it up for me. Law_bee is guilty of "defending" Gailey, no matter how bad it gets.

I wonder what kind of lawyer he could be if he didn't spend as much time on StinGTalk as he does. We will never know his true potential due to his urge to defend the indefensible here on StinGTalk.

BOO

Re: the problem is Dodd would not have been....

Lawbee..at the beginning of the season, Gailey wasn't liked by probably half of the GT fans to start...and that comes with us winning one big a year..then we always lose the bottom dwellers (which we now are in the ACC).

Now, I think alot more than half are wanting Gailey to be on the hotseat. Yet, you defend him by throwing Dodd stats from a thousand years ago.

Re: if you ONLY knew how much I support GT....

At the risk of being attcked by most, I am with you Law_Bee.
It is very difficult to win 9 to 11 a year in the expanded ACC, with a rival game with UGA thrown in for good measure.

I am a season ticket holder of 16 seasons who drives 840 miles round trip. I live right here in the midst of Wolfpack, Tarheel, and Blue Devil nations. I was livid at the end of the game. I would not have called a timeout. I would not have called a pass over the middle. And, I hated losing to NCSU.

That said, the game is over; it's time to get ready for Duke, then Miami. I'll be with the team and coaches 100% by the next kickoff.

At the end of the year coaches should be evaluated. They are paid enough to understand that they are expected to win. But, my predicion is that if we fire every coach who does not win 10 games a year we will be on a coaching merry-go-round that leads us from good to mediocre to the bottom of the barrel.

It is ludicrous that eight of twelve fan bases in the ACC are calling for their coach's head right now. Somehow it will be the patient programs where coaches continue to improve over time that will be the most successful, not the programs with the quickest trigger.

I was born in 1969. The first coach I really remember is Bill Curry and b/c I lived in Savannah my father yelling in front of the TV was my initial impressions of GT.

So certainly I have no recollection of Dodd. Just my father's praise of Dodd (which carries enormous weight).

Then you BDG post that STUPID QUOTE so I figured I would investigate Dodd's record.

When you look at the numbers Gailey does not need defending. Dodd took over the SEC champs and put up a couple of sub .500 teams b/f GT saw another championship SEVEN YEARS LATER.

Dodd's 12-10 record against Ugag is not the woodshed trip that you allege.

I think you are delusional and that you personally HATE Chan Gailey. I think it is sad that a few GT fans have chosen to hate that Christian man. Were you ranting on Pepper Rogers the same way?

Anyone who attempts to throw Dodd up w/o giving CG 7 years to compete is a hypocrite.

If Gailey were on trial I would win this case 10 out of 10x's.

Any FAIR AND HONEST person would state CG has done a solid job as compared to ALL THE GT COACHES since Dodd. I am curious which coaches have done better at GT in the last 40 years?

CG does not need defending but I do call it like I see it. I remember people on this same board ripping PH. I defended him as well.

lol at trying to defend Gailey, not on what has happened during his tenure, but on a dead coach from a long time ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pat.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roflmao.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pat.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]
When you look at the numbers Gailey does not need defending. Dodd took over the SEC champs and put up a couple of sub .500 teams b/f GT saw another championship SEVEN YEARS LATER.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be your problem LAWBEE.

In your world of defending the indefensible, as you stated, you, I am sure have gotten criminals off on technicalities, and lack of hard evidence. In your profession your colleagues give you a slap on the back, and with a wink say justice is served. Ha Ha, lets go get a drink.

In this trial, subjectivity is very valid, and this is where you are possibly out of your element.
Fans see what they see, and in the end they are a very fair jury.
Just maybe, the Tech fans in Dodd's early years just saw something or felt something about what would be one of the legendary coaches in the game, and certainly the greatest coach Tech has ever had. So, in this real world of all frauds get caught, understand that you can't hand pick a jury on Chan Gailey. He has had enough time to eliminate the problems we have all witnessed for the past 4 years.

[ QUOTE ]
Just maybe, the Tech fans in Dodd's early years just saw something or felt something about what would be one of the legendary coaches in the game, and certainly the greatest coach Tech has ever had.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right about "hunches" and "gut feelings." When they wrote the United States Constitution they were pretty specific about wanting evidence.

Maybe you rely on your "gut feelings" when you convict or acquit but that is not the law.

Maybe you have a lower standard when you hire and fire people but I am glad I don't work for anyone who has that standard. In the real word people look at the numbers. I have already asked this once.

Which GT coaches in the past 40 years have performed better than CG?

It is a valid question.

[ QUOTE ]

Dodd's 12-10 record against Ugag is not the woodshed trip that you allege.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dodd was 12-7 against UGA until Dooley. That is an incredible record against one's bigger arch-rival. Dodd owned the Dogs as any old UGA Alum will attest to when asked. Not until Dooley came on the scene did UGA dig out from under Dodd's boot. You are either uneducated in the history of southern football and Ga. Tech's place in it, or you are simply trying to confuse people of limited football history in hopes of propping up Gailey.

I suggest you read "Dodd's Luck" and "Southern Fried Football" before you again try to compare the All-America Dodd to the second-string Gailey.

BOO

are you saying Dooley was a better coach than Dodd

are you saying Dooley was a better coach than Dodd?

Isn't that like saying if you take away the 7-0 streak Dodd was 5 out of 15 or .333 against Ugag?

The innocent dont need to be defended every day
........................I think it is sad that a few GT fans have chosen to hate that Christian man. Were you ranting on Pepper Rogers the same way?
This reads like a lot of emails I get trying to make me feel guilty if I dont forward a letter to 10 people in 5 minutes
Dodd had character .. Gaily has the character of a telephone pole

Jefferson was afraid of Democracy because it

really just means mob rule.

We select an AD to make decisions on a coach because he is not subject to the whims of a single loss or even a pair.

The idea that it matters what % is unhappy TODAY is silly. In late November, after the dust has settled is when decisions like this are made.

I will no longer attempt to counter the idiocy here. Lawbee and 77 and the rest will give up too. Last week I pointed out VERIFIABLE counters to every single Chan-bashing point and embarrassed the list of candidates. This week we had outstanding examples of OBVIOUSLY excellent coaches getting blown out (OU) and upset (OSU, UT). UT even appeared to give up.

Since all coaches suffer blowouts and upsets, and I can drag them out for the masses, the arguement becomes that we suffer too many blowouts and upsets. This only holds water by comparing GT to football factory schools (and it ignores factoring in the upset wins and blowout wins).

Now all the top candidates are coordinators. IMHO because the have no track record and are more easily defended.

Apparently Gailey is the guy following a legend for too many fans. IMHO, GOL was like the Wizard of OZ hiding behind the Fridge(curtain). So perhaps we will have to sacrifice Chan as is customary for the post-legend coach.

I don't like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/puke.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Which GT coaches in the past 40 years have performed better than CG?

It is a valid question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you don't count the first 3 games for OL, which its not really fair to. He went 60% in his first years, showing improvement. Its not the W/L though, its having the team ready to compete week in and week out, and representing the school well.

Re: are you saying Dooley was a better coach than Dodd

[ QUOTE ]
are you saying Dooley was a better coach than Dodd?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dooley was his equal...but with a larger fanbase, recruiting base and financial base. There was/is noone better than Dodd.

BOO

LOL...

isn't that more true today than Dodd's last year? What was the stadium sizes back then?

So it is clearly worse now WRT your items and Gailey's winning percentage vs Richt matches Dodd's vs Dooley. Hmmmmm.

Besides, no decision ever made involving GT athletics could be more second guessed than pulling out of the SEC. Who did that.

Re: LOL...

[ QUOTE ]
no decision ever made involving GT athletics could be more second guessed than pulling out of the SEC. Who did that.

[/ QUOTE ]

As great a coach as Dodd was, he was equally as bad as an AD. His bluff was called when he threatened to leave the SEC. That single move has cursed Tech to this day. This fact does not lessen his greatness as a coach.

BOO

Re: LOL...

Does anyone remember when Atlanta was on her knees begging Dodd to stay at GT and not go to Texas
What other college has approached CCG ?

It seems to me CCG's challenge this season, beyond winning a number of games, is to provide consistency and ensure that the team plays 60 minutes of hard football.

To now, Chan's teams and key individual players have not displayed adequate discipline to take enough advantage of the quality athletes we've had over the past 3 seasons.

He doesn't seem able to go out and secure enough top level talent and close the deal on the players who are eligible.

Chan's public image to our fans and recruits is not one of an aggressive, energetic disciplinarian or of an engaging personality. Overall, Chan doesn't inspire either confidence or excitement. His intransigence in refusing to hire a fully qualified OC despite the poor offensive stats over the past 2 years exacerbates the doubts among Tech fans.

Some of his players seem to be less than fully disciplined and seem not to progress effectively. In general, the team seems undisciplined and as a result, inconsistent.

I seriously doubt Chan's detractors hate him. I don't hate him, but I've had little or no confidence that the 2005 Jackets would show much improvement over last year. I've wanted him to succeed big time because he is Tech's coach and I root hard every week for the Jackets.

But there comes a time when individuals lose confidence and say so publicly, and now we're seeing much evidence of erosion among the Tech faithful. Most fans understand that turnover is difficult, but we've become an ACC Also-Ran and that's just not good enough for Tech people who are traditionalists and demand excellence both on and off the field.

IMO, most Tech fans have such pride that we believe there are numbers of potential HC's with excellent credentials who'd love to coach in the ACC at a big name football-first school, in Atlanta, GA, with a storied tradition.

But hey, there are still 6 games remaining and Chan has some time left to save his job. Let's beat up on Duke by 3-4 TD's, and not allow them to make it a game into the 4th quarter. Let's show Miami we can play with them for 4 quarters, and let's whup at least 2 of our last 4 including knocking UGAG from whatever perch they're sitting on after 10 games.

It ain't over til its over, but we need some more evidence of progress. Defense lawyers demand to see evidence. Evidence in this case is winning and consistency. Defensive lawyers make excuses and throw up sophist smoke screens to make their points.

I will support the team even if we don't win another game this year.

Won't say that about clough, braine, CG or the other coaches.

No one person is more important than the Institute.

And why do you continue to bring up Dodd? Why can't we do better than Dodd, CG, Ross or whoever?

Are you happy or sad that 2 coaches have done better than Whack Hyder?

Back