another question for the Gailey haters.....?

Re: it is FAR WORSE....

Quite true, and he averaged something like 70% winning doing that. What does that have to do with anything? I was just giving stats to counter the 4-6 arguement, that doesnt hold water.

RP you can't just leave out the part of a record that dosen't support you point.
The only thing that is consistant with Dodds era and today is the tough recruiting and it's even more difficult today.
Our program has always been up and down and IMO it's because of our inability to recruit depth.
Recruiting at GT became more difficult for Dodd in the mid 50's and his record reflects that.
Dodd was IMO one of the great football coaches in history.

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is here RR.

I'm not leaving any of the record out with the 70% figure. Thats lifetime coaching at Tech.

My point was that Dodd had a so-so/bad first year, but then quickly improved. I'm not taking anything away from the man at all.

If you're talking about GOL's record, then I think that its only fair to take out the first 3 games since he took over at the end of a terrible season, but thats fine, if you want to see stats including those then GOL and CCG are sitting at about the same % by number of games coached.

So quit asking which coach has done as well in the amount of time. I think GOL comparativley well, and Ross won an NC in his 4th year. The difference is that these coaches were improving, not just staying the same.

RP, GOL's first 3 years were not as good as Gailey nor were Ross's and they did not face the adversity or recruiting restrictions that gailey has had no control over.
GOL record is on par with Dodd % wise but for a third of the time. when a coach stays here 15/20 years then compare him to Dodd.

I'm not talking about records, as I've said earlier in this thread, the W/L doesn't matter to me, within reason.

Its if we see the players improving, and the team getting better as a whole, and I don't believe that its happening. Thats all I'm sayinbg, I know that that is mostly a subjective arguement, but thats my opinion, and I think I have the facts to rely on to form that opinion.

What are the facts?

Seriously?

With one qualification. VT is better this year than last year. Way better. They may fall apart, but their fans LAST YEAR were saying this year would be their year. They have taken a big step and have improved more than us in the last 12 months.

But I have been to the last six NC State games. There is no question that GT was very, very close talent wise to them 5-6 years ago and that we have opened a gap. We seem to have opened a gap with Maryland. UGA took a step up when Richt came on board and Gailey was a year behind. He has obviously closed that gap based on the scores. The jury is out on Clemson and UVA.

IMHO the very, very hard loss to NC State Saturday had a silver lining. It showed me that we are, no question in my mind, better than them now. I think we would win 80% of the games if we played them repeatedly. Despite their 'stellar' recruiting classes I don't think they have the talent to beat us regularly. Of course we were beating them regularly, but I couldn't really say that we had more talent IMHO.

I want to start another thread.

Re: What are the facts?

He has obviously closed that gap based on the scores
its hard not to close the 51-7 score

Re: What are the facts?

[ QUOTE ]
VT is better this year than last year. Way better. They may fall apart, but their fans LAST YEAR were saying this year would be their year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't this supposed to be our year?

[ QUOTE ]
But I have been to the last six NC State games. There is no question that GT was very, very close talent wise to them 5-6 years ago and that we have opened a gap.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think we would win 80% of the games if we played them repeatedly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going into this past game, we had only lost to NC State once since Bill Lewis (9-1) and that was in OT.

[ QUOTE ]
We seem to have opened a gap with Maryland.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have almost always been better than Maryland. Gailey has a worse winning percentage against every old ACC team except UNC (.750 vs. .714) when compared to the previous staff.

Boy I couldn't disagree more. If Chan deserves bashing it's because of humiliating big losses or losing some close games. BUT, I have spoken to few Tech fans that don't believe that the players are improving. I believe we are a much better team this year over last year, but for a very young OL.

Re: LOL...

herbee, you have a good point, if chan is such a hot commodity why hasnt anyone tried to hire him, college or nfl

Chan has been approached about jobs....

Chan was approached about UF job after Spurrier left but he had no interest.

O'leary was approached about NUMEROUS JOBS that never made it to the public arena. Unless you interview it rarely makes the public waves.

I assure you if CG leave GT and WANTS to coach he will be coaching.

That question is illogical. I always support "the team", and all of GT's sports teams, in fact; however,I don't think Gailey is the right coach to build a top-flight program. Those are not mutually exclusive.

Re: Chan has been approached about jobs....

Chan was approached about UF job after Spurrier left but he had no interest
He had no interest because he knows UF would not accept losing 5 games a year and never winning in Jax

He double hockey sticks no

Who thought this year was supposed to be our year? Give me a break. If anybody said we would do well this year they predicated it on Reggie making a step to elite status.

We have a QB that throws more inteceptions than TDs, an OL with one starter over R So status, a DL devastated by injuries and our best DB was impersonating a Cheech & Chong movie plot.

I smell a championship... not.

I'm sure all of that is Gaileys fault, so you'll have a snappy answer. I don't care if it is. The idea that this was our year is pure horsehockey.

Like I said,

You probably have a life size picture of GOL maked and lathered up on your ceiling.

The fact is, Fridge carried that staff. Look at the records it is OBVIOUS. Chan's staff is better than GOL's staff before and after Fridge.

And Chan appears to be beating Fridge head to head. We all moaned about not getting the Fridge, but I'm not sure who is the best coach right this minute. That is saying something.

You have your opinion, but your facts are weak as all get out.

Adios.

there was some passing mention about the fla job, i dont think the interest was very high, if they wished to continue in mediocrity they could have kept ron zook.

Yep, its MsTA.
Mid, I just started posting here but MsTA must be a wonderful person :-)
And knowledgeable :-))

Ms TA is anything BUT wonderful or knowledgeable. She's a basher or anything Chan. And I thought stingtalk was through with her.

Back