anybody worried about UVA?

I'm intensely worried about UVA.

No true Tech fan can't be worried about UVA.

The last time I wasn't worried about UVA was 1999, and they beat a Joe Hamilton Heisman Trophy Candidate led offense 40-something to 30-something starting their LONG SNAP HOLDER as their QB because the other 3 guys on the depth chart were injured.

On a hook and ladder play.

That they ran TWICE IN A ROW.

I look for CPJ to make absolutely sure the team has their heads in this game. If we don't show up, we WILL lose. If we do show up, we win by 3 TDs.

As someone said above, a loss this weekend would be devastating.

Calling it Chanesque is just dumb. Why don't we call it Carrollesque - Poodle Pete has more mindnumbing losses than Chan could ever dream of? The point is - everyone loses games they're not supposed to, it's why we keep watching.

I agree. In fact, it's more "Carrollesque" than anything else.

Despite UVA's winning streak, deep down I really feel like they're crap. The only thing that has stopped our offense in the last four games has been our own mistakes. If the defense continues to play well, I think we'll win comfortably.

aren't we on a longer winning streak? NC, FSU, MSU, VT. They are... NC, Indiana, Maryland. I have a more impressive streak in my boxers. I'm not worried.

OH.... does anyone know what the weather will be like in VA this weekend? Hope it's not TOO cold.

How can you not be worried about them? We haven't won there in 19 years.

We have to get used to the big bullseye on the team jerseys, now. Every time we play a game, it will be that teams opportunity for a signature win or huge upset. If we play any games like we played Miami, we can be beat.

I am worried like hell and everyone else here saying no they are not worried is still high on our win against VT. A big win like that typically takes a lot out of a team emotionally to get up for the next game. This is common in all of college football even with the best teams. UVA is on a three game win streak. Groh defended us better than anyone last year did and as much as I think he's a crappy overall coach, he has always shown the ability to wax us no matter how good we might be and how bad they might be.

Furthermore, and this doesn't even need to be said, but we haven't won in Charlottesville since 1990. If you you think that's just coincidence or bad luck, then you belong in the circle of dumb. Some stadium and locker room atmosphere's for certain teams have this ability to lul our players to sleep. This is ours. Charlottesville is our achilles heel. That's not mere coincidence.

Not to mention that we've beaten UVA 5 times since 1990. 5 times. They have owned us as much as we've owned Clemson. The difference is we've gotten lucky a few games versus Clemson, and UVA flat out smashes our teeth in consistently.

If we can manage to beat UVA this week, I think that says a ton about Paul Johnson most of which we already know, because if O'Leary or Gailey were coaching this team, this would be a sure fire in the bank loss. Can PJ overcome it? Who knows.

NOT ONLY does our record suck at UVA, but historically we have NEVER been able to produce after a big win like VT. We almost ALWAYS don't capitalize on the next game and end up losing a game we should win. Last year we were 6-1 and played a sub par UVA team AT HOME, with a PJ coached team and LOST. Well, here we are again, so why does everyone think we shouldn't be worried?

OH.... does anyone know what the weather will be like in VA this weekend? Hope it's not TOO cold.

Weather for Virginia Cavaliers: Its gonna be cold and grey and its going to last you the rest of your life.
bill_murray.jpg

I am worried like hell and everyone else here saying no they are not worried is still high on our win against VT. A big win like that typically takes a lot out of a team emotionally to get up for the next game. This is common in all of college football even with the best teams.
shortened for brevity

FSU wasn't a big game? I would say it was. It took 5 hours + to complete and our offense/defense was running all over the darn field. That was a very emotional game that we barely won. The week after, we beat VT.

GT fans are always going to be saying this junk. What will one of us say prior to Vandy if we beat UVA this weekend? I am sure someone will find some reason that we should be worried about it being a trap game. I am not worried. The players and coaches should be worried ... not worried, but vigilant. I am only a fan. It's my duty to support my team and not worry about them. This team has already proven enough to me so that I don't have to worry about them.

This team is 0-0 against UVA. They didn't play in all the games since 1990.

I am worried like hell and everyone else here saying no they are not worried is still high on our win against VT. A big win like that typically takes a lot out of a team emotionally to get up for the next game. This is common in all of college football even with the best teams. UVA is on a three game win streak. Groh defended us better than anyone last year did and as much as I think he's a crappy overall coach, he has always shown the ability to wax us no matter how good we might be and how bad they might be.

Furthermore, and this doesn't even need to be said, but we haven't won in Charlottesville since 1990. If you you think that's just coincidence or bad luck, then you belong in the circle of dumb. Some stadium and locker room atmosphere's for certain teams have this ability to lul our players to sleep. This is ours. Charlottesville is our achilles heel. That's not mere coincidence.

Not to mention that we've beaten UVA 5 times since 1990. 5 times. They have owned us as much as we've owned Clemson. The difference is we've gotten lucky a few games versus Clemson, and UVA flat out smashes our teeth in consistently.

If we can manage to beat UVA this week, I think that says a ton about Paul Johnson most of which we already know, because if O'Leary or Gailey were coaching this team, this would be a sure fire in the bank loss. Can PJ overcome it? Who knows.

NOT ONLY does our record suck at UVA, but historically we have NEVER been able to produce after a big win like VT. We almost ALWAYS don't capitalize on the next game and end up losing a game we should win. Last year we were 6-1 and played a sub par UVA team AT HOME, with a PJ coached team and LOST. Well, here we are again, so why does everyone think we shouldn't be worried?

Thanks for sealing the deal! We win by 28.

This team is 0-0 against UVA. They didn't play in all the games since 1990.

You must not have been present last year when we were 6-1 at home and playing another WEAK UVA team who lost some stupid games in the early part of the season. We chalked it up to a win, and we got smacked in the teeth. Everyone in our two deep minus 3 players played in that game.

You must not have been present last year when we were 6-1 at home and playing another WEAK UVA team who lost some stupid games in the early part of the season. We chalked it up to a win, and we got smacked in the teeth. Everyone in our two deep minus 3 players played in that game.

Actually, I was present in Section 204.

Which team won the 1990 National Championship?

Were they the same as the team in 1989 that went 7-4?

Were they the same team in 1991 that went 8-5?

Is this team the same team as last year that lost to UNC and VT?

EACH YEAR THE TEAM IS DIFFERENT!!!

worried, no.
concerned, yes.

2008:

GT ---14--0---0---3-- 17
UVA --3---7---7---7-- 24

The game started with a Scott Blair kickoff going out of bounds and UVA did take a 3-0 lead. In the 1st quarter GT had an 11 play 73 yard (all rush) TD drive and a 2 play 45 yard (42 pass) TD drive. GT was in total control, but about half of the yards GT gained in this game would come in the 1st quarter.

In the 3rd quarter GT turned the ball over at midfield and inside the UVA 10, and after the second turnover GT seemed to lose control of the game, with a UVA turnover at midfield being converted into a FG the only points scored by GT after the first.

This was a strange game because it really looked like GT would blow UVA out of BDS after the 1st, but untimely turnovers by GT (although both teams did turn it over 3 times) and the fact that after the 1st quarter UVA had twice as many yards as GT (288 to 141) made for an unexpected loss.

So yes, I am concerned.

I wouldn't say they've consistently smashed our teeth in over the years. Too many times we've led going into the 4th and let it slip away. They've pulled off some improbable last minute wins against us during this streak. We've underachieved against Virginia since 90. I'm nervous about a letdown game for the same reasons as you. But all streaks come to an end and this streak's end is way overdue. We had a long winless streak in Chapel Hill until the late 90s. O'Leary broke that curse. Time for Johnson to break this one.

We've underachieved against Virginia since 90. I'm nervous about a letdown game for the same reasons as you.

This sums up my feelings well. We've just flat out underachieved versus UVA historically like they don't matter. It showed as recently as last year with a PJ coached team at home when we were 6-1. That is what makes me nervous.

All the talk about this is a 0-0 team at UVA and its different is great and all, but you are ignoring a pattern that has plagued us for years, inlcuding last year.

I expect a much closer game than all the people who think we should walk in there and blow their doors off.

Back