anyone covering spring game?

Waller dropped the ball because it was clearly thrown too low. The picture proves it. Look it's below his hands!

QB's looked awful other than Byerly who didn't do much. Waller looked massive which is about the only thing going for him

This is an absolutely ridiculous post, even for this place. What game were you watching? Vad's INT, btw, was an incorrect route by the WR. JTs fumbles on the snap were from a ööööty center. Oh yeah, and then they both ran like ballers. How exactly was the QB play awful? I see two young potential Joe Ham's out there.

This is an absolutely ridiculous post, even for this place. What game were you watching? Vad's INT, btw, was an incorrect route by the WR. JTs fumbles on the snap were from a ööööty center. Oh yeah, and then they both ran like ballers. How exactly was the QB play awful? I see two young potential Joe Ham's out there.

Agree. They actually looked pretty good running the triple and they're throws we're on the money despite no separation from the receivers. There were no WTF moments on any throws last night except from Byerly.

Agree. They actually looked pretty good running the triple and they're throws we're on the money despite no separation from the receivers. There were no WTF moments on any throws last night except from Byerly.

This is pretty much what I saw. It's hard to judge the QB's since they didn't get much protection from the line on option plays. There were a few sloppy and ill-advised pitches, but passing looked sharp. The receivers should have held on to more; they looked rusty. JT is quick and showed some evasiveness, but he was usually being pursued by defenders on all sides.

For all this talk about how good the QB's looked, Vad was 4-13 with a pick and one well publicized drop? Not an amazing stat line. Glad they look good running the ball though. Hopefully we will again have a gamebreaker under center.

:frown:

042013_tech_football_JC7.jpg

:lol:

Our receivers actually did pretty well in 2012 though. A lot more catches than drops.

Thomas runs the option much faster and is more elusive than Joe H. ever was, and Joe was pretty damned good at it. Vad looked like the real deal--power, deceptive speed, and a very strong arm. The Hill kid is a player and I thought Connors had a good showing too. Both punters were excellent.

Priority---get some first class medical attention for OL and WR corps!

The D was aggressive---whether it matters will be determined when we play our first legit O.

Guys, calm down. It is just a scrimmage, we will get better .

Impossible. Don't you remember how bad our team was that time we fumbled like twenty times in the spring game?

Thomas runs the option much faster and is more elusive than Joe H. ever was, and Joe was pretty damned good at it.

Speaking of Joe Hamilton, he was at the game with his son, who he said will be playing on the flats in 14 years.

Speaking of Joe Hamilton, he was at the game with his son, who he said will be playing on the flats in 14 years.

Are you sure he said playing, or was it smoking on the flats in 14 years. :wink: I kid

Honestly, it looked like just about every other GT spring game under PJ. The story of the game was that the defensive line dominated offensive line. There were a few fumbles due to miscommunications, but actually less than there usually are.'

The difference this year is that the QBs MADE PLAYS when stuff broke down. They got swarmed almost instantly every play (especially Vad) so the majority of their completions and yards came when they improvised. We haven't seen that since Nesbitt, and it made all the difference.

I am not encouraged by your reports. Most telling was that we had to throw in passing situations because we couldn't execute the triple option effectively. If we don't run that well, why would we stay with this offense? I really like Vad Lee the QB, I just think he is made for running a spread offense from a shotgun with a one back that uses a read option. That was what he did at Hillside and he was terrific. That's a very different skill set required than what is needed for an under center guy running a triple option down the line. If Justin is better at the TO, and we are going to keep our base offense, he should play. If CPJ ever gets a truly great triple option QB at Tech, and I maintain we have yet to have one, our offense will be unstoppable. So far I would rate our QB's effectiveness in game situations at running the TO as:
1. Shaw
1a. Nesbitt
3. Washington
4. Lee

5. Booker - painful memory.
I certainly think both Joshua, Tevin, and Vad are better overall QB's than Jaybo, but Jaybo could run the triple option play very well. His problems were fumbled snaps and injury from big hits.

Back