Are you a 39%er?

I would go to a GT game but might sit in area all by myself. Would probably skip the indoor venues.

I will NOT be on the bleeding edge of fully-attended sporting events. Once I see that it’s working, I’ll go. Thing is, I think I’ll need a couple of months of data before feeling comfortable that it is, in fact, working. At that point, the season will be over.

I am in multiple high risk groups but this is not sustainable anywhere near that long. I am on warfarin sometimes known as rat poison and have not had my INR checked since this started. We will never know how many people are dying because they are skipping check-ups, ignoring symptoms of other illnesses or deferring necessary elective surgery.

One of my mother's friends at her independent living facility died last week of a brain hemorrhage. She was on warfarin but didn't want to get her INR checked because the facility requires the residents to quarantine in their room for 14 days if they leave for medical appointments. Visiting with residents in the lobby is the only social interaction they get now.

Well, if driving and flying much less results in no significant impact because of other sources; then what is the point of more fuel efficient vehicles?
Who says there's a point to electric cars? There are all sorts of political and financial and other self-interested motivations that prompt people to support such things. They may or may not have a 'scientific' impact on carbon levels, I don't know. I welcome further information or guidance on the issue.

we have become a nation of giant pussies, listening only to the person who can verbalize the greatest threat. i expect the chinese to land and take over america during the next virus, Covid 44, while we are all squirreled away listening to CNN warnings of millions dying.

we're 2-0 in world wars...we will never go 3-0.

it's an f'n virus. curve is flattening and we should be in spring practice in three weeks. but something tells me that won't happen.

I'm definitely in the 39%. Actually, I've been sitting in my seat since February. At the time, I figured nobody is gonna bother me over here for at least 6 months, except this one security guy who comes around at 4pm everyday yelling "hey man what are you doing here, you can't be here!"

The weather has been better than expected I'm surprised nobody else had this idea...

Sports Illustrated is owned by CNN.

Fake news.
If there are no butts Sanford Stadium and Bobby Dodd this fall I think you could see lots of athletic departments folding or being significantly restructured to stay aflot. Most, ours included operate on very narrow budgets.

Last edited:
If there are no butts Sanford Stadium and Bobby Dodd this fall I think you could see athletic departments folding or being significantly restructured to stay aflot. Most, ours included operate on very narrow budgets.
Yes, we will see how well the program #1 in recruiting expenses can actually recruit with only its recruiting "genius"

We can only hope that the used car lots and mobile home dealerships around Athens take a financial hit.

265512c67ca73aaf869e6ca3756a48ba.jpg

Irony much crew !?
You have no idea what you are talking about. I benefit from this shutdown personally. In a bunch of ways this happens to positive to me. The only negative realized consequence to me personally was that the GT Spring Game was cancelled.

Thats irrelevant to what I preach.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I benefit from this shutdown personally. In a bunch of ways this happens to positive to me. The only negative realized consequence to me personally was that the GT Spring Game was cancelled.

Thats irrelevant to what I preach.
Irony = someone who advocates throwing people under the bus who represent 80% of those dying from this, calling someone who favors reducing said deaths....selfish.

I think the economy will be 98% reopened, but with a sprinkler system installed to manage flareups until herd immunity from a vaccine in 2021. One facet of it would be no large gatherings (even the nations who managed the virus with extensive testing have banned large gatherings). That would mean the season happens, but with empty stadiums. I'd love to be wrong but that's what I think most likely, with a wide error bar on the prediction. Renewed my tix either way.

Irony = someone who advocates throwing people under the bus who represent 80% of those dying from this, calling someone who favors reducing said deaths....selfish.
No. Its a trolley problem. You joyfully want to amputate half the country to "save grandma".

I soberly want to consider all costs and scenarios and pick the least ööööty one. I have nothing to gain from either scenario.

You on the other hand do AND you admit your choice is emotional, and once again refuse to even acknowledge the other side of the argument. Thats selfish.

No. Its a trolley problem. You joyfully want to amputate half the country to "save grandma".

I soberly want to consider all costs and scenarios and pick the least ööööty one. I have nothing to gain from either scenario.

You on the other hand do AND you admit your choice is emotional, and once again refuse to even acknowledge the other side of the argument. Thats selfish.
Make up your mind. You say on one hand you are benefitting from the lockdown and then offer the opposite position of nothing to gain from either approach.

I have made no such emotional admission and have pointed out how I believe a long term shutdown is very unrealistic. You are assuming you can read people's minds Crew. There is NOTHING selfish about preferring to not overwhelm the hospitals in order to prevent a large number of unnecessary deaths. What IS selfish in the extreme, are completely asinine references to "grandma" and missing the Spring game.

A lifetime career of making complex decisions on multiple scenarios and trade-offs, would suggest I not only consider other sides of arguments, but that I do so based on evidence, not on emotion. Tech and grandma taught me to do so.

Maybe we are just misunderstanding each other, and as a result are saying things that we normally wouldn't. I've said all I care to on this, except for an apology for my earlier angry responses. Stay safe Crew and THWG. Z

I think there is a misunderstanding in this thread because while the thread is about whether to attend sporting events this fall/winter (not the spring game); some people are talking about overwhelming hospitals in the previous weeks. Then again if you find yourself arguing we should shelter in place until a vaccine is available (which is likely to take more than 8 months) so that hospitals aren't overwhelmed, maybe you aren't confused. Another possible point of confusion is whether you think a short term shutdown includes July/August 2020. To others of us a long term shutdown is anything that includes June 2020.

I think there is a misunderstanding in this thread because while the thread is about whether to attend sporting events this fall/winter (not the spring game); some people are talking about overwhelming hospitals in the previous weeks. Then again if you find yourself arguing we should shelter in place until a vaccine is available (which is likely to take more than 8 months) so that hospitals aren't overwhelmed, maybe you aren't confused. Another possible point of confusion is whether you think a short term shutdown includes July/August 2020. To others of us a long term shutdown is anything that includes June 2020.
Someone is projecting. I shudder to think he actually was in a decision making position if he thinks going against my own interests is proof of selfishness. The level of non-thought being displayed is mindbottling.

My debate with yourself and Crew had nothing to do with sporting events. It had everything to do with short term sacrifices to save lives. Several posts ago I stated that a long term shutdown is retarded. Such a thing would be foolhardy for the overall good. As for mid-Summer and early Fall, it looks like a trial and error deal depending on testing availability, testing results, and tracking exposures. I fully expect a limited amount of letting up on the shutdown in mid-May or so, and if it goes well, we will likely have things almost normal by Fall. The shutdown mitigation was NEVER about the long term. Crew is right though about the lack of thought being displayed, but he might be projecting others' thoughts when he knows next to nothing about them.
aeromech, I'll give you the same apology I offered Crew for the anger flash earlier. I wish you both well and hope to pull for the YJs along with y'all this Fall, for even a reduced venue.

I think the economy will be 98% reopened, but with a sprinkler system installed to manage flareups until herd immunity from a vaccine in 2021. One facet of it would be no large gatherings (even the nations who managed the virus with extensive testing have banned large gatherings). That would mean the season happens, but with empty stadiums. I'd love to be wrong but that's what I think most likely, with a wide error bar on the prediction. Renewed my tix either way.
Good post Flywheel. I think we have a ways to go to have an effective "sprinkler system", but it's doable. Even Fauci thinks we can play in empty stadiums.

Back