Arizona president says fall football increasingly unlikely, more answers needed

BigGTMike

2020 Stingtalk Poker Player of the Year
Let's just see Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, and Oklahoma play the CFP bracket 3 or 4 times from September to December. Save some time and see which coaches can make adjustments.

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
There is a fact of life in Division I athletics that cannot be ignored. Football is responsible for 85% of an athletic department's revenue—if not more. At many schools the only other sport that pays its way is men's basketball, although at a few and a I mean a very few others..... the wrestling or hockey programs provide financial support, and women's basketball comes close to avoiding red ink. Again that is a few!!!

Translation: If football can't be played, schools most likely will have to cancel all sports.

And don't get caught up on the idea that they could play football in the spring. It would be ill-advised to think schools could play in March, April and May, and expect players to be back in camp the following August for the start of another season.

Translation: There will be sports in the fall! Thank God for Football! Go Jackets!

Don Ellington

Varsity Lurker
I think we'll play a shortened schedule, but to be blunt, I don't know if it's the right decision. Currently, most campuses are closed thru end of summer semester. We're talking about 6+ months since the athletes have participated in any organized team activities of any kind. You're asking for these kids to get injured. Maybe if you remove all non conference games, reschedule to 8 games and push it back to an October start. Then, if there's any type of resurgence of the virus the season will be canceled again.
Look at the facts: over 80% of the deaths occur in patients over 60 years of age. You are drinking the kool-aid of the mass media that wants to scare the hell out of us to make us stay home and destroy our nation. College football players are some of the best conditioned Athletes in existence- the risk to them is insignificant.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
Look at the facts: over 80% of the deaths occur in patients over 60 years of age. You are drinking the kool-aid of the mass media that wants to scare the hell out of us to make us stay home and destroy our nation. College football players are some of the best conditioned Athletes in existence- the risk to them is insignificant.
Stfu Don, you're quoting a post a month old and taking it out of context. What I think will happen and should happen athletically vs what should happen politically. I'm not going to comment on the politics of whether the schools should be shut down, but they are. The risk of permanent injury from playing a full season of college football without appropriate reintroduction to organized S&C and only a fall camp worth of practice is what my post is discussing. I think you're going to see a lot of injuries and sloppy play early if they start the season on schedule. Then you want to talk about politics, well let's run a hypothetical: what happens when players and coaches start testing positive mid season? Do you think the attitude towards this virus will change significantly enough that when positive tests on teams happen (just like they were in the NBA) we're just going to shrug it off and keep games as scheduled?

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
The B1G programs will die on the vine if they are idle while ACC, SEC and Big12 have seasons. That will be the end of midwestern sports.
It could be a big mess. You'd have to expect mass transfers, and what will the high paid coaches do? Maybe this is the catalyst that breaks this thing up. We'll see.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
It could be a big mess. You'd have to expect mass transfers, and what will the high paid coaches do? Maybe this is the catalyst that breaks this thing up. We'll see.
I’m sure the NCAA will step in to make sure no one plays so all pain is spread evenly. This may be what breaks up the NCAA

MACHETE

Dodd-Like
If there is a 2nd wave, you can kiss the '20 football season goodbye. Just read a report about a bunch of rednecks partying without masks in a lake in the Ozarks. Good luck with that...