Arizona president says fall football increasingly unlikely, more answers needed

I'm most interested in how this will change the halftime music selection.

The biggest problem with all this mindless speculation is that coronavirus is not going to just disappear if we wait longer. Even a vaccine or antiviral is probably not going to be 100% effective, and lots of people will choose not to get it anyway. COVID-19, or the next virus that comes along, will forever be creating the various degrees of danger that have threatened mankind since the beginning of time. Older people with chronic medical conditions or living in assisted living facilities shouldn't be going to stadiums regardless of this current epidemic or the next one. The folks who are physically able to navigate the steps and isles of BDS are going to be very low risk, and the ones who aren't should be watching it on TV.
Auburn University to test Vaccine on Covid19 patients

Link
https://www.bizjournals.com/birming...burn-university-to-test-covid-19-vaccine.html

Added another Group of Five AD: “I could definitely see scenarios where all but one or two schools [from a conference] are ready to proceed and a season is played without them. I think the Group of Five would follow the Power Five’s lead and the Power Five conferences would defer to the TV networks to determine which [schedule] is preferable.”

If a conference decides to play football this season, but certain league members aren’t able to play, how would the television revenue be divided?

“Those that don’t play probably won’t get their full share of media rights revenue,” a Power Five AD said.

Yet another athletic director thought those programs would receive their share of revenue.

“I believe so,” the AD said. “When those schools who do not go to bowl games, NCAA tournaments or field competitive teams, they still share in the revenue.”

“Would the decision to play in the fall change if the schools that couldn’t play were Alabama, Auburn and LSU, compared with Vanderbilt, Tennessee or Missouri?” asked one AD who does not represent an SEC school. “I hope not, but these are unprecedented times.”

I think we'll play a shortened schedule, but to be blunt, I don't know if it's the right decision. Currently, most campuses are closed thru end of summer semester. We're talking about 6+ months since the athletes have participated in any organized team activities of any kind. You're asking for these kids to get injured. Maybe if you remove all non conference games, reschedule to 8 games and push it back to an October start. Then, if there's any type of resurgence of the virus the season will be canceled again.

Currently, most campuses are closed thru end of summer semester.
I received notice from a colleague at Harvard that they’re strongly considering and likely to move Fall semester online. If they do that, many will follow.

Mississippi shouldn't be playing football anyway. Dodd was prescient

Screenshot_20200427-132005.png

I received notice from a colleague at Harvard that they’re strongly considering and likely to move Fall semester online. If they do that, many will follow.

More likely to go the other way. Texas and Oregon have already announced that that they are moving forward with plans to be open in the fall. As all of these states slowly reopen it's going to get harder and harder to justify being closed if hospitals aren't overwhelmed. Higher ed economy isn't small.

NASCAR starting back this month. PGA revised tour schedule in June. MLB making plans for late June.

n an interview with KVOI-AM in Tucson, Arizona, Robbins said he is worried about intercollegiate sports getting back to normal after the cornovirus. "I'm really concerned about whether we're going to be playing football in the fall," Robbins told the radio station. "My sense, right now, I just don't see that happening." "We're waiting to see what the NCAA does, what the Pac-12 does," Robbins said. "As much as I want it, you know, it just seems as though if we do play any football in the fall, it's going to be delayed because I've heard nothing and we're headed to May 1. My hope is we're going to get some clarity on this very soon, but it seems unlikely to me. I'd love to see it happen, but we're waiting every day to get some guidance."

Robbins said the scenario he is hearing the most is that fall and winter sports, including men's and women's basketball, would all be played in 2021.

"What I've been hearing more of is that maybe doing something combining both basketball and football for the spring, so January-February 2021, and try to play both of them," Robbins said. "There will be all kind of implications for television viewing and confusion. I don't know. We just don't have any answers right now."

"I did, however, say that the current thinking is that it's likely that fall sports will be canceled," Katsouleas said. "This was not based on any inside knowledge or discussions on the subject and was nothing more than speculation. No decisions have been made about fall sports and when they are made, we will look to the NCAA and our conference to take the lead on those choices."

Robbins conceded that his opinions about delaying fall sports or pushing them back to the spring were his "personal reading of the tea leaves."

"It's going to be very difficult to start the [football] schedule as it currently exists," Robbins said.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...all-increasingly-unlikely-more-answers-needed
When MLB isn’t played you can be pretty sure high school and college won’t either. Sad but true.

n an interview with KVOI-AM in Tucson, Arizona, Robbins said he is worried about intercollegiate sports getting back to normal after the cornovirus. "I'm really concerned about whether we're going to be playing football in the fall," Robbins told the radio station. "My sense, right now, I just don't see that happening." "We're waiting to see what the NCAA does, what the Pac-12 does," Robbins said. "As much as I want it, you know, it just seems as though if we do play any football in the fall, it's going to be delayed because I've heard nothing and we're headed to May 1. My hope is we're going to get some clarity on this very soon, but it seems unlikely to me. I'd love to see it happen, but we're waiting every day to get some guidance."

Robbins said the scenario he is hearing the most is that fall and winter sports, including men's and women's basketball, would all be played in 2021.

"What I've been hearing more of is that maybe doing something combining both basketball and football for the spring, so January-February 2021, and try to play both of them," Robbins said. "There will be all kind of implications for television viewing and confusion. I don't know. We just don't have any answers right now."

"I did, however, say that the current thinking is that it's likely that fall sports will be canceled," Katsouleas said. "This was not based on any inside knowledge or discussions on the subject and was nothing more than speculation. No decisions have been made about fall sports and when they are made, we will look to the NCAA and our conference to take the lead on those choices."

Robbins conceded that his opinions about delaying fall sports or pushing them back to the spring were his "personal reading of the tea leaves."

"It's going to be very difficult to start the [football] schedule as it currently exists," Robbins said.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...all-increasingly-unlikely-more-answers-needed

doesn't surprise me a bit about harvard and online. now that curves are flat and decreasing in areas of hospitilizations and new cases, liberal institutions will take early political stances to ensure this lasts into the fall. there is an agenda to keep the economy depressed for election purposes. they must do this prior to decreasing curves or they will miss their opportunity. the naive may think that being an american is more important than a political party, but for many in this country, on both sides, it is not. as a relative middle of the road dude (i've voted right and left before), i find gain for political purposes both ignorant and treasonous, but alas it is what it is. we need a good war to straighten this country out, as my grandpa used to say.

with that in mind, i expect you'll see states on the left try to keep things shuttered longer and more-liberally led businesses and universities try and push recovery as far right as possible. harvard might be the first, but it won't be the last.

should be an interesting next three months. mark my words, this is more about politics than a virus.

mooch, out.

When MLB isn’t played you can be pretty sure high school and college won’t either. Sad but true.
I believe MLB is planning to play a shortened season. Current plan calls for realigned divisions with games played in home parks. Braves projected for central division.

More likely to go the other way. Texas and Oregon have already announced that that they are moving forward with plans to be open in the fall. As all of these states slowly reopen it's going to get harder and harder to justify being closed if hospitals aren't overwhelmed. Higher ed economy isn't small.

NASCAR starting back this month. PGA revised tour schedule in June. MLB making plans for late June.

I don't doubt it. It's a grad school vs undergrad school issue. When you "close campus", the grad students and faculty are still there working the labs and performing research. It's really the undergrads that are impacted. At Harvard, 25% of the students are undergraduates. At Texas, 80% of the students are undergraduates. Even if the big state schools open, you could lose 4-5 ACC schools.

Coming from a family of medical professionals, y'all need to get a grip. Some of y'all act like sports, in general, will never be played again and in front of a live audience when that is not reality. Yes, this virus has screwed up our normal routines but it's not going to be here forever. Like the flu, there will be a vaccine and this will be something that can be dealt with. Use c0mmon sense, if you have pre issues, stay home! Let the rest of us have fun. SMH at some of these comments. The sky is not falling contrary to popular opinion.

I would not give one bit of credibility to anything that came from the faculty at University of Arizona, that bunch in Tucson is far, far, far left.

And the far Left runs the mainstream media who is causing all this unnecessary chaos. Go figure!

Back