Artificial Turf Returns?

I’m old and I don’t like change. Really thought I was going to like TS when he was hired but that has changed. Too many changes, too fast and many without thought of the fans. Probably happening all over but I only see it at Tech. Thursday games, Friday games, “home” games off campus.......and the list goes on and on. Like I say, I am old but so much change has brought me to a place where I no longer enjoy the product being offered.

TStan's priority # 1 was improving the financial situation. Money is the only way we are going to remain competitive, and it doesn't just flow into our coffers like the SEC schools around us. Raising money at Tech requires innovation and innovation means change.

I’m old and I don’t like change. Really thought I was going to like TS when he was hired but that has changed. Too many changes, too fast and many without thought of the fans. Probably happening all over but I only see it at Tech. Thursday games, Friday games, “home” games off campus.......and the list goes on and on. Like I say, I am old but so much change has brought me to a place where I no longer enjoy the product being offered.
We have no choice on the Thursday and Friday games.
I have no idea what other changes could be bothering you. I wasn't thrilled about our entrance last season with the Wreck entering the field 45 seconds before the team, but I doubt that was a TS decision.
Security seemed to be friendlier last season. I had several run-ins with security in prior years, even had Mike Castle pay us an in stadium visit at one point to smooth things over.

"Our field only goes up to 130 degrees vs the 160 degrees of our competition."

I mean, it's not exactly Flex Tape type infomercial level persuasion.
I don't know the specs on the turf so I don't know if that temperature delta is accurate or not.

Otoh, we can sell it to players as being faster and since it won't be as affected by rain and wear, safer. New sod tends to be a pretty crappy surface that tears up easily.

"Our field only goes up to 130 degrees vs the 160 degrees of our competition."

I mean, it's not exactly Flex Tape type infomercial level persuasion.
According to a study done by Penn State, a typical crushed rubber infill turf has surface temps ranging from 35-55 degrees hotter than natural grass. If this geofill creates surface temps 30-40 degrees less than crushed rubber, then we're looking at 5-15 degrees difference. Also, humid climates lessen the effect of heat absorption because the geofill holds moisture which evaporates when temperature rises, effectively "sweating" and keeping temp cooler. Dry heat is what heats these turf fields up so much.

According to a study done by Penn State, a typical crushed rubber infill turf has surface temps ranging from 35-55 degrees hotter than natural grass. If this geofill creates surface temps 30-40 degrees less than crushed rubber, then we're looking at 5-15 degrees difference. Also, humid climates lessen the effect of heat absorption because the geofill holds moisture which evaporates when temperature rises, effectively "steaming" and keeping humidity higher. Dry heat is what heats these turf fields up so much.

fify

On the bright side, our uniforms will be wrinkle free.

Decision has been made so I'm going to support it and hope for the best. And I know new live sod is put down more often than folks realize, but I do have a hard time believing us being able to sell "Historic Grant Field" as brand new field turf.

They were going to be in trouble anyway, the GN'R concert in August would have ruined the pitch. I know it's canceled, but looking forward, Bobby Dodd should be holding more large concerts and events. It's an unmatched outdoor stadium in Atlanta. I remember the concrete field we had in 93 and before that.....this is nothing similar. These fields are so advanced. It won't be as beautiful, but we will make money. I have to imagine the nuclear threat to the AD budget posed by COVID-19 has pushed this over the top.

They were going to be in trouble anyway, the GN'R concert in August would have ruined the pitch. I know it's canceled, but looking forward, Bobby Dodd should be holding more large concerts and events. It's an unmatched outdoor stadium in Atlanta. I remember the concrete field we had in 93 and before that.....this is nothing similar. These fields are so advanced. It won't be as beautiful, but we will make money. I have to imagine the nuclear threat to the AD budget posed by COVID-19 has pushed this over the top.

The field the local high school put in last year is far superior to what Grant Field had in the mid 80's. I suspect this field to be better than what the high school put in.

We all know we are going cheap on what turf we are getting. That’s the sad part

Back