Discussion in 'Football' started by atlanta jacket, Dec 8, 2019.
Shhh. Let them believe. We want complete disarray over there.
They hire Paul Johnson. He wins a national championship. Stingtalk Apocalypse Now.
Those are good points.
They went on and on about how Kirby coached up his D to get hands on LSU's receivers. Apparently he forgot to tell them to get hands on the QB
The Fields debacle will hurt recruiting more than people realize.
When Dwag coaches promises "best player plays" the other schools just have to show some footage of Fields @ OSU.
LSU would have had another TD early, but UGAg's "hands on receivers" trick worked by pulling the LSU WR's jersey as he tried to catch the ball. The referees very considerately looked the other way
Timing is good for upheaval at UGA from our program building perspective.
He is not better than trevor Lawrence.
We will see. Either one is a likely franchise NFL QB.
One thing that's particularly striking to me is how little their offensive players seem to improve. Yeah, they get great players to come in but a lot of these guys never get better and some, like Fromm, appear to get worse.
This is particularly true at QB. Eason was a better QB the day he stepped on campus than when he transferred. Same for Fromm from day 1 to now. Fields was so misutilized that all opposing coaches need to do is show recruits an image of him taking a snap on a fake punt to prove that the UGA coaches have no idea what they're doing with their offensive talent.
I think it's also telling that Bobo didn't even wait around to see if a vacancy opened up at his alma mater to coach under his former teammate before accepting what's more than likely going to be a 1-year gig at USCe (and yeah, I know Muschamp is also his former teammate).
When I saw Fields' HS tape, I thought, "Oh öööö, UGA just got their Cam Newton." Nope, Ohio State did!
Gus Malzahn damn sure wouldn't have let him walk off.
1) I think Kirby is a very good defensive coach. I think you can see it a little in Bama's struggles since he left and in how UGA defense played better since he arrived in Athens.
2) So basically what happened is the leftover offensive talent was combined with Kirby's better defense for 2 years and they played lights out. I expect that might be the peak for them. BTW, I don't think Richt would have done as well. UGA needed the defense upgrade to do what they did.
3) Being a defensive coach, Smart wants everything the offense to does to be about helping the defense so that means play it safe, control the pace and run some clock. He wants ball control as much as possible that is why he believes in huge offensive linemen.
4) So one of the problems is he doesn't seem to have a clue how to pick a QB or develop them. He wants them to learn to play it smart and safe instead of developing their skill set to throw better passes. I can promise you that QB play would have been much better under Richt than UGA has had for the last 3 years.
5) IMO, they ask Fromm to make harder passes than most QBs in FB. You don't see as many dump offs to RBs or short passing that OU or OSU use in their systems. A lot of Fromm's success the last 2 years was throwing 50-50 balls where the WR was so good that they won a high percentage of those. I don't understand how you can build an offense that seems to rely on that single type of play for success.
6) I think that what I wrote above is getting ready to stick as reputation for UGA and Smart. If it does then they might be in trouble. To change it, he would need to hire a true "name" OC but I doubt he will ever be comfortable doing that.
I agree with 98% of what you have above. Only disagreement would be they do throw dump off passes - in fact - against lesser opponents it seemed all they would throw is dump offs and back shoulder. But the offense this year has been very very unimaginative. I do agree Kirby is a good defensive coach and could make the next step up by agreeing to turn over the offensive reigns to a proven innovative offensive coordinator that he let do what they want to do. Will he do that? IDK He has not proven to be a good game day coach. He blew it last year with a dumb telegraphed fake punt that cost UGA the game. He has a lot of advantages going for him - UGA was, is and will be an elite football program due to its geography and being the state school of a large state with a rabid fan base. The fact that they have not won an NC since 1980 is Falconish to say the least. The UGA administration appears to currently be 100% behind him but he has lost his halo this year.
Kinda scary to see how much these criticisms of Kirby mirror those ST had for Gailey.
Ha. You guys are as bad as Georgie fans. Kirby has built a championship defense. They ran into one of the best offenses in the country, and actually held their own for a half. Eventually, their O kept them on the field too long, and it got away from them in the second half. Georgie is just fine. Talent is good. Coaching is good (except they don’t run near enough). They’re in the playoffs if their all-American kicker doesn’t miss against USC.
If nothing else, creating chatter that Kirby's seat is hot will be good for negative recruiting against them.
If is a big word, if Ala kicker had not missed against LSU
L IF E