ATL: Above the Line Watch: 2020

Is it just me, or has the D line improved massively this year? Even without AC, that’s a solid young group listed there. Have the chance to be really dominant in a couple years if they continue to develop at this pace.

Lots of TFr getting trust on the DL, although it is one part necessity one part better recruiting. I like the future.

Reading between the ATL, Gibbs may not be a go, or may be a go but not 100

Is it just me, or has the D line improved massively this year? Even without AC, that’s a solid young group listed there. Have the chance to be really dominant in a couple years if they continue to develop at this pace.
Teams are scoring 30+ on us a game. They might be getting pressure more often but seems like they've struggle to contain the QB and prevent scrambles. If they're better it seems incremental to me. Domineck's performance against Duke was impressive, he might be a Tech great in the making.

Jerry Howard back with the RBs after his stint in the LB corps. Seems to me we won’t see much of Gibbs.

Not sure why people keep thinking this about Jamious. Mason MIGHT have one more year, and Jamious has been hurt. You've got to have a more physical back to compliment Gibbs, and Griffin fits that mold perfectly. Dontae Smith is the one I would be worried about losing because he is electric in space as well and would be the premiere back for many schools.

Why leave a school that's giving you touches that turn into touchdowns?

Just you. We gave up 30+ to Duke and Louisville and won and everybody loves our DL. We gave up 30+ to ND and BC and everyone hated the DL and the world was ending.

We aren’t very good up front with any consistency and stink vs the run especially, but we have created a little pressure this year and capitalized when it counted (strip sacks) in our wins

Just you. We gave up 30+ to Duke and Louisville and won and everybody loves our DL. We gave up 30+ to ND and BC and everyone hated the DL and the world was ending.

We aren’t very good up front with any consistency and stink vs the run especially, but we have created a little pressure this year and capitalized when it counted (strip sacks) in our wins
I don’t think my statement contradicts with your assessment. I think they’re a solid group with a chance to be really good in a couple years, but consistency comes with experience. They just seem much improved to me vs a year ago, and are much more consistently getting push/pressure against teams not going to the playoffs. Also, I think the LB corps has a lot to do with our struggle against the run at times. Overall, very excited about the future of the line, especially with some of the guys we have coming in next year.

I hated when our DL fumbled into the endzone for a TD and caught a kick at the 1 and gave up a safety

we give up 35 a game against poor offenses...i want what you're having....cheers!!

we give up 35 a game against poor offenses...i want what you're having....cheers!!
Not sure what to tell you if you don’t see improved D line play vs last year. I’ll continue to believe my eyes on the play of a particular position group, rather than judging it based over the overall result of the defense as a whole.

I don’t think my statement contradicts with your assessment. I think they’re a solid group with a chance to be really good in a couple years, but consistency comes with experience. They just seem much improved to me vs a year ago, and are much more consistently getting push/pressure against teams not going to the playoffs. Also, I think the LB corps has a lot to do with our struggle against the run at times. Overall, very excited about the future of the line, especially with some of the guys we have coming in next year.

I think they are missing some size to be really successful; but I also agree they look better than last year. I think we have decent coaching on the D side of the ball and we just need to get the right personnel to make it shine.

I think they are missing some size to be really successful; but I also agree they look better than last year. I think we have decent coaching on the D side of the ball and we just need to get the right personnel to make it shine.
Our problem is we are playing guys before we should. Linemen should ALL be redshirted unless they are 5* AA caliber and then given limited time their second year. The only thing that will solve that it time. And yes they are playing better and anyone who can’t recognize that is an idiot.

They look better more of the time than they did last year. Consistency is our problem which makes it doubly frustrating for fans. We know we have guys to can get in there and make the plays, but for whatever reason they don’t do it with enough consistency. That could be a size thing.

Our problem is we are playing guys before we should. Linemen should ALL be redshirted unless they are 5* AA caliber and then given limited time their second year. The only thing that will solve that it time. And yes they are playing better and anyone who can’t recognize that is an idiot.

I agree with that to an extent. I think we have a defensive line made up of DEs and converted LBs though; we need to get some true DTs in there particularly in short yardage situations.

No Gibbs, no Gleason, no Domineck, no Ryans. Oliver back to S. Charlie Thomas at DE??? I don't know which way is downfield anymore.

ATL-Pitt-v2.jpg

No Gibbs, no Gleason, no Domineck, no Ryans. Oliver back to S. Charlie Thomas at DE??? I don't know which way is downfield anymore.

ATL-Pitt-v2.jpg
We got them just where we want them. Speed of Charlie Thomas off the edge. Who cares how big the OT is, he gonna have to wave as Thomas flies by on the way to the QB

Back