Awesome #24 (again) - Anree

Stephon Tuitt :hsugh:

We've never had a consensus 5 star recruit sign with us. Even Calvin Johnson is rated a 4 by one service and a 5 by another (although i highly suspect they retroactively upgraded his rating from a 4 to a 5).

That was frankly what I thought, but I am not an avid recruiting wonk so wasn't sure.

I think before Calvin it was David Jordan who was a kicker that didn't pan out that was a high 4 star. I only remember him, because he was from my high school.

Good get for Ted Roof and the Jackets!

This year is huge in regards to taking the next step. Need to avoid a 2010 season if we can avoid that we might actually see a top 20 class next season not that I put a ton of stock into rankings.... needless this year is big in terms of long term success

Good get for Ted Roof and the Jackets!

This year is huge in regards to taking the next step. Need to avoid a 2010 season if we can avoid that we might actually see a top 20 class next season not that I put a ton of stock into rankings.... needless this year is big in terms of long term success

We're certainly on the early radar for a lot bigger names than in previous cycles. Marshall, Gantt, Peek, Mack, Howe. It would be great to get the ball rolling soon.

Paranoia often is rampant on message boards. The simplest answer is the best, and that is that 4 and 5-stars look elsewhere.

The simplest answer is the best when you have no information or evidence with which to make a conclusion. Recruiting services have been around for enough time now that there's a pile of evidence. Look no further than the NFL draft/rosters.

Sorry. SidewalkFan says this is not the simplest answer.

Sometimes the truth hurts. In this case, the truth shouldn't hurt. edit:

..actually..
Paranoia often is rampant on message boards. The simplest answer is the best, and that is that 4 and 5-stars look elsewhere.

..I'd say this is totally correct. The five star players are almost universally primadonnas who don't want to work, or to earn their success. That's why they largely end up in jail instead of the NFL. Those kind of SAs obviously look elsewhere.

Derrick Steagal was 5*'s top player in state of Georgia

Steagall's bio on RW

HIGH SCHOOL: Regarded by many as the top high school player in Georgia in 1992 . . . Guided powerhouse Newnan High to AAAA state semifinals . . . Parade magazine all-America . . . Also named Gatorade ?Player of the Year? in Georgia . . . Tabbed by SuperPrep as one of the Top 11 prep quarterbacks in the nation . . . Ranked the second-best option quarterback in the nation by The Tom Lemming Report . . . An all-region pick by Blue Chips . . . One of the Top 50 players in the nation by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution . . . Also a Top 50 pick by the AJC in the Southeast and a Top 50 (one of just four quarterbacks) in the state of Georgia . . . A preseason ?Super 11? selection by the Atlanta Journal Constitution as one of the top 11 players in the state . . . Honorable mention prep all-America by USA Today . . . Completed 42 of 80 passes for 800 yards and 11 touchdowns as a prep senior for coach Max Bass at Newnan High . . . Also rushed for 846 yards and 14 more scores . . . Won the 200 meters (21.07, wind aided) and finished second in the 100 (10.46) at the National Scholastic Track and Field Championships in June of 1993 . . . Lettered four times in football, basketball and track and three times in baseball.

Offer sheet is more indicative than the stars. Look at Anree's

GT
Arkansas
California
Ole Miss
Miss State
Michigan State
Missouri
Ohio State
Iowa
Stanford
Tennessee
Boston College
Louisville
Northwestern
Syracuse
Wake Forest

I'll take 24 more 3*s with that many p5 schools after them.

GT
Arkansas
California
Ole Miss
Miss State
Michigan State
Missouri
Ohio State
Iowa
Stanford
Tennessee
Boston College
Louisville
Northwestern
Syracuse
Wake Forest

Ugh. 5 ACC offers? No thank you!

GT
Arkansas
California
Ole Miss
Miss State
Michigan State
Missouri
Ohio State
Iowa
Stanford
Tennessee
Boston College
Louisville
Northwestern
Syracuse
Wake Forest

Hell yes.

Great to nab arguably our top target late. We have been on the other end of too many of these. I was kinda concerned about the kid's desire to play at GT, but his quotes from Carvell's article sound very reassuring that he's bought in to the culture and is excited about joining the program. It also sounds like mom and dad are big time in our corner, which never hurts. Ted Roof's reaction should tell us all we need to know - our coaches REALLY wanted this guy and are ecstatic that he's in the mix.

Love his frame and motor. Endless possibilities on where we could put him as his body develops more. Awesome commit.

..I'd say this is totally correct. The five star players are almost universally primadonnas who don't want to work, or to earn their success. That's why they largely end up in jail instead of the NFL. Those kind of SAs obviously look elsewhere.

and I'd say you've likely never met a single 5-star football recruit.

you think they got as good as they are because they don't want to work?

all of the natural talent in the world will not help you if you are lazy, out of shape, and unwilling to work at your chosen field.

all of the natural talent in the world will not help you if you are lazy, out of shape, and unwilling to work at your chosen field.

Tulips6.jpg

I met Calvin Johnson once, in a "hey you rock" sort of way. He was not your typical 5 star recruit.

I formulate my opinions of 5 star recruits based on the data, which show they are more likely to end up in jail than in the NFL, and that none of them are playing in this year's superbowl.

I met Calvin Johnson once, in a "hey you rock" sort of way. He was not your typical 5 star recruit.

Cool story bro time:

I stood 3 people back of Calvin Johnson in line at customs at Hartsfield for like an hour one time.

I formulate my opinions of 5 star recruits based on the data, which show they are more likely to end up in jail than in the NFL, and that none of them are playing in this year's superbowl.

It's somewhere in the middle. I have definitely seen the data you reference. I think Athlon's did a "Where are they Now?" deal a couple years back, and like 60% of their Top 40 recruits from 5-10 years ago ran afoul or hadn't been heard from in awhile. But there are plenty of others (Calvin, etc.) to the contrary. If coaches actually take the time to listen to/get to know the 5-star kids, I don't think it takes too long to determine one guy's character from the other (i.e. Washaun Ealey vs. Calvin).

Calvin and I used to get together every Saturday in the fall and hang out for a couple of hours. He mostly played football, I mostly stood there and watched, it was super cool.

Back