Bilbo shined in limited play today.

GTPilot,

The problem based on what Bilbo has shown in practice is that for every big play he makes he makes an equally bad one. I am certainly don't think Suggs is the answer but we are between a rock and hard place until Bilbo can demonstrate more consistency in practice. The good news with the off week and bowl practice coming up he will get a lot of practice

Bilbo's formations - has anyone else noticed that Bilbo has only run the offense out of only *2* different formations this entire year. That is stunning, yet people want him in there the whole game.

And the call about "the passes were dropped" so he should get more reps - the same darn thing can be said about AJ - passes dropped all over the place.

Now I certainly see that our QB production is not where it needs to be for us to be successful as an offense. But from what I hear from the players, the right guy to help us win today is getting the reps. It may be the unfortunate truth that the best we have today is on the field.

I'm sorry but what matters is on the field of play and I haven't seen that play out on the field of play yet. Even if it does, it still means that we have some showing of a big play which you will never see with AJ.

My point is this, If I see Bilbo perform worse than AJ on a consistent basis, then I will support AJ. Unfortunately, I have not seen that yet this season. Until I see it I ask then question,
"Why is Bilbo not getting more reps?"

Let him prove himself unworthy on the field. He hasn't. Thus I question the coaches.

Because he is inconsistent in practice ....its is simple as that.....if Bilbo is going to get more reps in games he has to be more consistent in practice

I'm sorry TIAR,B,

I feel that is more of horrible coaching than it is horrible QB play. The fact the matter is that when you overthrow your receivers by three or four yards, they will not make the catch.

Again, I implore you to watch the games. I promise you that you will see more overthrows or underthrows than you will see dropped passes with AJ. How can you support a QB that has more INTs than TDs? The fact of the matter is that the WRs have played down to their QB. They tend to work harder (as do most WRs) for QBs that can at least give them a chance for the ball. Right or wrong, it is a fact.

Bilbo needs more reps. No one can give me a good reason why he hasn't gotten such a chance.

To be completely truthful, AJ started the year horribly, got much better for a few games, then has deteriorated the past 2 games. UGAg will eat his lunch.

I can think of no other earthly reason for Chan not to play Bilbo more today than 1) hardheadedness and 2) a lucrative contract termination clause. Bottom line is he doesn't care what anyone else thinks and he's not yielding and giving Bilbo a chance because he would have to admit he was wrong. Its very common among obstinate warlords and preschool children.

If AJ continues to play like he is playing right now I think we will get to see a lot of Bilbo by the second half cause Pollack and Sullivan are going to knock his arse into Barrow County.

83jacket,

I'm sorry but again I don't give crap about practice. You put the players into the game that give you the best chance for success. Whether or not Bilbo is good in practice, which is debatable since none of us have been to practice lately (nor have we seen who has been given the attention, my guess is Suggs) what matters is on the field. I stick by my original statement (watch the early games) in that Blbo was looking off receivers and doing his progressions long before AJ in the game situations. In then end what matters is what you can do on the field. That is what wins or loses ball games. I will be at UGA, as I have been at all the other games this year, but it is hard to cheer for a player who you feel hurts your chances at winning.

I hope he proves me wrong against UGA and I'll be happy to let you know where I'll be before and after the game to hopefully eat my crow, but I feel that Gailey is being overly optimistic with this kid and that he needs to make a change. Unfortunately, I feel as though the time to make a change is too late.

GTPilot
Techrod
RamblinWise
ETC

How many practices have you been to since the season started?
How many hours per week do you spend breaking down game film?

I like to throw out my opinions and best guesses as much as the next guy...but I am not about to question personnel moves...particularly since all involved chose to play for us...and all of us went bonkers with the "welcome to Tech" posts when they signed on.

Additionally, I am a big-time fan that watches a ridiculous amount of football...but that does not make me qualifed to be the head coach of a college football program.

Hiverdtech,

Again I must ask that you watch the game film. I played a few games in my lifetime and the fact is that AJ hasn't shown the ability to play in game situations. I'm not questioning his ability to practice well. What I am questioning is his ability to get the job done once the whistle blows. Again, I ask anyone to show me where AJ has proved himself better in gametime situations.

There is a long list of players who could get the job done better in real game situations than practice. And that is all that matters.

Some players do fine at practice but can't handle the pressure in the games. And vice versa.

I'd like to study some game film of DBo but he's gotta get in the game!!! Seen enough of AJ on film and in person...

Billy Lothridge; by Bobby Dodd's own admission was not a good practice player, but he came in second in the heisman race to Roger Staubach. AJ can't make the reads and with a very weak arm that just doesn't cut it. On top of that he is very slow. He makes many mistakes. I firmly believe with Bilbo we would have won one or two more games. I think he is the worst qb. at Tech in my 46year memory!!!!!!!!!

There is a difference in guys who don't practice well and guys who can't make the plays in practice. The first statement, about guys like Lotheridge, normally means they don't want to practice and don't put a lot of effort in. The second is for guys who haven't got it figured out yet. According to our coaches, and other players, Bilbo falls in the second group.

And for those who want to study the film I say go ahead. If you take a real look you will see exactly what the coaches are saying you will: a kid who will make a great play and turn around and make a terrible one. Look at the Wake game.

Personally I would like to see him get more playing time. But I haven't seen any evidence he's ready to take over. BTW GTPilot you are right, you play the guys who give you the best chance of winning. According to our coaches and players that's AJ right now. I'm sure BOB and CG would love for Bilbo to have made them play him. If he wants to play all he has to do is show them a reason.

After 46 years watching Tech, you must of forgot about Lee Willaimson, Tommy Luginbill, Ted Peoples, etc

Suggs problems run deeper than just being slow and
having a weak arm and being unable to make proper adjustments at the LOS, Suggs mind just seems to freeze when the pressure is on, interceptions, short and high passes etc. are the result. Brian Murphy wrote in Sunday's Macon Telegraph that CG
overruled BOB on at least six different occasions
and changed Bill's passing plays to runs on third and long. What rejuvenated our attendance under O'Leary was the exciting brand of football we played by scoring a lot of points and contrast that with our own coach DULL and it is easy to understand why attendance is on the decline. How many games this season have we been shut out in the second half? DULL will have a modest lead and will sit on it as if we are playing in the 1940's or 1950's. That won't work in this high scoring era when all the rules have been altered to encourage high scoring games.Well, most of us know it but coach DULL hasn't got the message yet.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
a kid who will make a great play and turn around and make a terrible one.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">This DOES describe one of our QB's, and it ain't Bilbo.

Hey, don't be pickin' on Jim Bob!
wink.gif
The clouds are starting to part on Chan's partiality. Coach, we luvs ya but you're just plain wrong on this one. Feet of lead/needs glasses needs a new job.

Big Buck, what really rejuvenated our fans were victories over UGA, and that takes the potent offense you talk about. Tech will always play second fiddle as long as UGA beats them with regularity. O'Leary realized the importance of competing with UGA. While I was not one to cry at O'Leary's departure, I am very worried about Gailey's commitment or ability to challenging UGA.
BOO

GTPILOT,

You earn your playing time on the practice field . That is true at every college program in America

One more thing when Bilbo is in so are the third team wide outs. Practice makes good, but it has not helped aj. If aj starts next year we win no more than this year. I'm sure aj is a fine young man and his mama is proud, but i'm sick of him as a qb

Back