Bilbo shined in limited play today.

I guess we are supposed to believe that an ailing Suggs who did not get most of the reps in practice this week is better than Bilbo who after 1.5 years still can't remember more than 4 plays.

Goodness. There sure is a lot of speculation on why someone is playing and why they aren't.

Agree that Bilbo came in and looked very good. Two runs for about 10 yards. He had two super passes dropped. First pass for a first down was a beauty, but dropped. He hit Thomas on the money on a deep ball. Totally agree that he looked great.

AJ didn't have a good game. The wide outs didn't have a good game. There is no excuse for the play of our offense yesterday. Should have been up 28-0 or even 35-0 by half time. Duke should have been totally pasted yesterday. Solid win regardless because our D was awesome. Got us our 7th win even in the ACC. Who's making plans for Dec 23rd in Orlando. Know it's two days before Christmas, but it's just a hop skip and a jump to Orlando. Air is cheap from Atlanta and back. I plan to be there. We should hear something on this soon.
wink.gif

We're simply not getting it done on the O side of the ball. Our D is going to give us a chance against anyone I feel, but we've got to get it together on O side of ball. We've got two weeks to do it.

Some of you are giving your reasons or lack of reason for AJ playing and not Bilbo. Major speculation if you ask me. I want to see Bilbo play more like most of us. Feel he's a super talent. Coach Gailey has never said he wasn't smart enough to learn the offense. He's never said he doesn't know the offense. All he's saying is he has a certain amount of the offense he works with. Coach Gailey could have a reason that is the case. He's stated that Bilbo hasn't progressed like they had hoped. We've speculated into that as well. I don't take it for granted that Coach Gailey knows all and makes all the right calls, but I don't for one minute feel that he doesn't have the team and Bilbo in his best best interest. There is a reason I feel. All the speculation could be far from the reason. IMO.

Anyone like Tangerines??
grin.gif
WOO HOO GO Jackets!

pretty good post Terri, but don't tease us, whats the REAL reason Chan won't play Dbo? Don't forget that Dbo's last play prior to yesterday's 4 plays was a 60something yard touchdown. Mystifying.

I could tell from Kim King's commentary yesterday that he was very disappointed that Dbo wasn't getting more playing time. His comment on the 2 dropped passes is that the receivers probably weren't used to such a hard ball. In other words, AJ's tossing cupcakes...

Originally posted by techrod:
ha ha ha you are right cup cakes
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by this comment
confused.gif

83Jacket, I am not really picking on you, I just happen to disagree with you on players in a game.

Some players don't get juiced playing against their own teammates, and sometimes there are restrictions on the hits and things you can do in practice. Also, some players just naturally turn it up a notch when they get into a game. It could be nothing more than adrenalin or a mental thing, but it happens often.

All of this leads to my point, A coach must be alert to these kinds of athletes. I would definitely play a player that excelled in the games over one that excelled in practice, but not in the games.

wink.gif

Don'6 disagree Ahsoisee, but a players has to be able to show in practice that he at least knows what is going on. For a QB especially he has to gain the coaching staff's confidence. Why would they put him in if he can't do that?

GT terrific read the post above mine. the cupcake is refering to the soft pass thrown by suggs. Ahoisee, you have been right on through this whole debate about the qb.

In response to 83jacket:
"Granted AJ did not light it up today but on the interception today the WR ran the wrong route. That is what I was told by members of the GT radio crew"

CG's statement on the post-game show bothered me for a couple of reasons. #1, wrong route by the WR not, the defender looked like he was in front of the WR before the ball was even thrown. What did AJ expect if he throws the ball short and the defender is in front? #2, I though it was terribly unprofessional for GOL to come down on JFB the way that he did last year, so I understand CG covering for AJ. Problem is, he does it by calling out WRs and publicly announcing their mistakes. It bothers me to see CG stick up for AJ at the expense of other players.

And I bet NC State is as good as AJ gets. I thought he was getting better, but F$U and Dook proved to me that NC State was an anomaly, not real improvement. Too inconsistent... Especially with 10 TD passes on the season (very low) and 11 INTs. Take away Vandy (3 TDs, 0 INTs) and UCONN (0 TDs, a problem all by itself, and 0 INTs) and you are looking at 7 TDs and 11 INTs in 11 games!!!! How can that be described as good play? The coaches say that we don't have a better option and they would know better than me, but if you think those are good numbers, I would have to disagree.

I can't imagine that DBo not learning the playbook is not partially the result of QB coaching. Yesterday, DBo throwing to Thomas, who had a blurb in the AUC re: dropped passes and Logan, a WR without much PT. With first string receivers, those passes are caught. Period.

I'm not sure who is calling the plays, but if the two of them (CG & BOB) can't get along, it doesn't matter is BOB is a friekin genius, he will be ineffective as OC. And I don't buy that GOL was holding BOB back, as he was going to follow GOL to ND. Would you go with someone hampering your career? No way. I think last year was a lot of BOB, and so was a lot of early this year, IMHO. Second half of this season, I have no idea.

It's clear that nothing AJ does will lose him the starting job this year. I am just afraid that if we do find a coach that can get through to DBo and it is clear in spring practice that he (or another young QB) earned the starting job over AJ, that AJ will get the job anyway. It seems ridiculous, but anything's possible at this point. I hope DBo doesn't transfer either, with the coaching staff basically calling him inept all the time. True or not, it's pretty demoralizing.

Sorry so long, it's my fist post, so there was a lot to say, even if some of it has been said before.

Good grief...lets not make something out of nothing.

The coaching staff has never said DBo was inept...not even close.

DBo himself said that if they fans could see him in practice that they would understand why he was not playing yet. I bet that the job will open back up in the spring anyway...just like most positions.

Also...just because CG overrides BOB on a couple of play...that does not mean that they do not get along. I liken this to the COO of a company balancing contract issues between their Sales and Operations Departments to win new clients. Sometimes the COO will give Sales what they want...sometimes Ops...whatever it takes to win the deal. BOB's job is to score points...Tenuta's job is to not give up points...CG's job is to mesh each of their styles together to put a W on the board.

Come on, guys. The fact of the matter is that Bilbo just CAN'T grasp the offense. He's been particularly slow learning the following plays:

The Interception at the opponent's 8 yard line
The Quick Out that loses two yards
The 8 yard completion on 3rd and 10
The Overthrow/Underthrow of the wide open receiver
The Slow-footed sack

Until DBo picks up these crucial plays, then I agree he should be kept out of the game.

Beezoner - hahaha

OK, maybe inept is the wrong word, but they have been criticizing his ability to learn the plays all season to the press and the fans. What do you expect Bilbo to say to that? The coaches may be right about Bilbo, but even if they are wrong, Bilbo will still say that he agrees with the coaches re: AJ. Why? It keeps him out of the doghouse and preserves an image of team unity. If he says anything other than "CG is right" I don't think he will start, ever.

Hey Beezoner, Bilbo at least has the draw down pat. Every defense can count on O'Brien calling this play for Bilbo 1 out of every 4 plays.
confused.gif

BOO

wgjacket thi my reply to who is the sorriest qb in my 46 year memory of Tech football. Lee Williamson- was benched after one game by c. Ross. Luginbill- Had a passing efficiency rating of over 116 - seventh in the acc. Suggs passing efficiency rating before Sat. game was 113. Peoples was a back up to Mike Kelly his entire career, played only when Kelly was hurt. Since Peoples was a back up, comparing him to Suggs{ a starter} is invalid.

Originally posted by techrod:
GT terrific read the post above mine. the cupcake is refering to the soft pass thrown by suggs. Ahoisee, you have been right on through this whole debate about the qb.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks techrod. Should have caught that!! Completely understand what you meant now.

Carry on!

Go Jackets!

All you guy who defend Suggs I can understand your arguments usually but Saturday come on. AJ was sick all week and it was a very weak opponent. There is no excuse for AJ even hitting the field unless it was to save the day. The game was a great opportunity to get reps for our young guys, Bilbo and Camp and we missed it. Tell me the coach up the road would not have started Shockley against a team like Vanderbilt if Greene was sick. IMHO he is way to sensitive about this issue. My guess he is getting pressure from other sources besides the geniuses on this board.

Originally posted by gtmg:
Tell me the coach up the road would not have started Shockley against a team like Vanderbilt if Greene was sick. IMHO he is way to sensitive about this issue. My guess he is getting pressure from other sources besides the geniuses on this board.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">totally agree... there is something more here than meets the eye... but it doesn't smell very good.

Back