Bilbo to RB? Ball starting QB?

Originally posted by Dr. B:
Gnats:

Stump is a NW Georgia, SE Tennessee ICON! He's actually a longtime sports/news reporter for the Chattanooga TimesFreePress, and he has his own "Stump on Sports" local cable TV show that promotes local HS athletics.

Oh yeah, he has a BAD mullet.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hmmm, I feel like I should know that. Thanks, I'll have to look him up on the net.

Originally posted by JJacket:
Followed Marietta when I lived down that way. There is a huge difference in talent level. The northern programs are smaller schools that may be great for the area, but would get serious whippings playing the big metro schools like Parkview or Marietta or the Valdosta's of the world.

Marietta sucks I was there when my Warriors pounded them by 4 TD's in the driving rain, look for more of the same as we look to dethrone harrison in region 5AAAAA

Originally posted by Dr. B:
SLJ:

Maybe I should have said NORTHWEST Georgia, instead of North Georgia. Next thing you're going to do is claim Parkview's State Championships!

Yeah, Dalton won a State Championship, back in what, 1968? Oh, and you forgot Trion's 1974 state championship

Armuchee has NEVER won a state championship in football. Model won its state championship in 1979. West Rome was an 80s dynasty (p.s., that was nearly 20 years ago). Needless to say, since West and East formed to make "Rome", they've not accomplished much.

There's a reason Dalton has won all of those games over the years. They're called Ringgold, LFO, LaFayette, Ridgeland, NW Whitfield, SE Whitfield, and Murray County.

Then again, as a Dalton guy, you sure know your QBs. David Raymond was something else last year, wasn't he? And we can't forget how Brad Patterson became QB at Dalton, after playing his Frosh and Soph years at LaFayette. Now, that Pete Wilson was a heckuva QB though. I see where Mitchell Boggs gave us hardball at UGA to walk on at UTC.

Oh, and I didn't realize it was my job to find NFL talent. But, thanks for letting me know. I'll try to do better.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It was Darlington in '98 not Armurchee. My only mistake in that post. And I am not "claiming" these others. You are the one that slighted the area not me. It had to be pointed out to you the facts. Hey you did'nt mention the Rossville champs of the 60's by the way. Ha!HA!HA! The Dalton jelousy showed up in your post. Good. Also your idea of Dalton's schecule is misleading because we have spent many a year in regions and subregions with Cedartown,West Rome,and Carrollton until they was dropped down in classification and often met and beat the Marists and Woodwards over the years at playoff time. We are not as large a school as the Parkviews but superior coaching is the reason for 43 straight winning seasons and not who we have been grouped with by region. Finally, 5 state runnerup showings since '75 when Americus won the title to 2001 when we played Statesboro for the championship whether we have been in AA,AAA, or AAAA we have always advanced at playoff time.

Originally posted by TechFan101:
Originally posted by JJacket:
Followed Marietta when I lived down that way. There is a huge difference in talent level. The northern programs are smaller schools that may be great for the area, but would get serious whippings playing the big metro schools like Parkview or Marietta or the Valdosta's of the world.

Marietta sucks I was there when my Warriors pounded them by 4 TD's in the driving rain, look for more of the same as we look to dethrone harrison in region 5AAAAA
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Which Warriors? North Cobb? Even a blind hog finds a nut every so often. Overall, Marietta and McEachern own North Cobb.

Model is one of my alma maters. I went to 7th grade there back in the 50s. Many schoolmates wore clothing homemade from feed sacks. The football may not be so hot up in that area, but the girls sure were...I still pine for my 7th grade sweetheart.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
Model is one of my alma maters. I went to 7th grade there back in the 50s. Many schoolmates wore clothing homemade from feed sacks. The football may not be so hot up in that area, but the girls sure were...I still pine for my 7th grade sweetheart.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">So getting in the sack has a whole different meaning to you?

Sorry, lighthearted joke.

Belly: These critics of football in my area have not seen the reemergence that has started up here. Dalton,Rome,Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe,Calhoun are the cream....combined record last year of 41-7, with Rome playing Thomson's state champs to a 0-0 tie in regulation before losing in OT in last years playoffs. Only other school to beat Rome? Lakeview 28-21. Calhoun has the next great coach in Georgia in Hal Lamb(as long as they can hold onto him since his brother is the head coach of Furman),losing only to Greater Atlanta Christian 45-38 in the state playoffs. And Dalton is still Dalton, 8-2 last year, missing the playoffs when our quarterback was suspended unfortunatly and we lost the immeadiate two games while trying to get back up to speed on offence. Can't forget the Purple Hurricanes of Cartersville either. Huge amounts of money are being poured into the Ringgold program and it's really starting to show. Note that Catoosa County is the 4th fastest growing county in Georgia, home to Lakeview and Ringgold. In fact there is alot of money flying around up here and it is keeping the up and coming coaches like Lamb at Calhoun and Allen at Lakeview from being hired away by the schools in the southern part of the state as have happen over the years. Training facilities are being modeled after Tech's and Georgia's all over the area costing millions from privatly raised funds. I have'nt even mentioned the Class A schools Gordon Lee, Adairsville, and Trion all who went deep into the playoffs last year and are loaded again. I don't have any prognosis on Model this year but I will remind you that Model won the '52 and '53 Class B Championships while you was checking out the honeys. To sum it all up North Georgia football was among the best in the middle classes up to the early eighties and the south took over. But the cycle has swung toward metro Atlanta and the Gwinnett and Cobb County programs and is stretching all the way to the stateline!

BellySeries, I remember when Model High School was a perennial powerhouse. Of course it was years ago, maybe back in your time.

Stateline, Dalton has had a good football team as long as I can remember. The only problem I saw with their teams were the many dissappointments when confronted with State Championships.

I don't remember ever seeing two cities by the same name in the same State except for Ringgold in Georgia. There is another Ringgold between Griffin and Locust Grove, Georgia.

I am not sure whether it has one or two g's in the name.

Father Time

SLJ:

Still waiting for that "NFL talent" that has come through the NW Georgia area.

I guess Tony Burse counts. Stacy Searles played in the WLAF, but he was drafted by the Chargers, so I guess that counts too.

What about Bill Mayo? Did he ever make it to the pros? What was the other guys name, Mayo's teammate that went to Alabama, Jon McIntosh?

Well, since you bring up Rossville, Bobby Scott did make it to the NFL. But then again, your original post talked of "25 years of watching football". The 60's were more like 30+ years ago. I just figured that was before your time.

And yeah, I envy Dalton alright. Se Habla Espanol!

Dr.B: You missed Jim Arnold and Gary Bramlett. Apparently you need a list of every Dalton Catamount who has played in the SEC and got a look at by the NFL. In this area you missed on Robert Lavette(which makes me wonder if you are a Tech fan),Larry Kinnebrew,Ray Brown,and Keith Henderson. I will get that list and post it just for you. P.S. Your last little remark showed your jealousy and lack of class. You can go crawl back into your hole now.

Stateline.. I had forgotten about Larry Kinnebrew.. but loved him in HS.. if I remember correctly he was a huge, powerful, fullback.. any idea where he attended college?

SLJ:

I completely forgot about Jim Arnold. Those punters are easy to overlook sometimes. As for Bramlett, I plead ignorance.

Cartersville is practically an Atlanta suburb, but while Robert was a heckuva player for Tech, his NFL career was rather uneventful. But, hey, you win the point.

I look forward to your list of Dalton Catamounts. I am disappointed that you've dropped the standard from "NFL talent" to "SEC players that got a NFL LOOK".

Oh, and don't forget about the following, non-Dalton NW GA players that played some big-time college ball, but didn't quite make it to the NFL:

Shannon Suttles - LaFayette - Auburn
Jeff Suttles - LaFayette - Clemson
Paul Carreathers - LaFayette - Tennessee

Wallace Clark - Trion - Auburn
Stacy Searles - Trion - Auburn

Jarrod Parrish - Chattooga - Tennessee (still has a chance to make it to the NFL, since he's a FROSH at UT)
Steve McGill - Chattooga - Georgia

Sean Young - NW Whitfield - Tennessee (See Parrish)
Greg Hargis - NW Whitfield - Tennessee
Chad Young - NW Whitfield - Georgia

Can't think of anyone from Ridgeland, Gordon Lee (they did have a kid that played at LSU a few years back, but he MAY have been a walk-on), LFO, Ringgold, Dade County, of SE Whitfield that's played "big-time" ball, but hey the memory ain't what it used to be. Guess it comes from lack of class, huh?

Remember, my original point, YOU haven't seen a LOT of NFL talent in your 25 years of watching HS football. Thanks for continuing to prove it.

Hasta la vista!

Dr. B: More off the top of my head. Joel Statham, the RS freshman QB for Fridge at Maryland. We had Preston Poag,QB 2 year starter at N.C. State. Kit Carpenter LB N.C. State. Bill Mitchell L.B. Georgia. Also Gary Bramlett was All-SEC at Alabama. Just a few. Also Jacket Guy Larry Kinnebrew played at Tennessee State after failing to have the grades to play at Georgia. Can you imagine that? Speaking of grades if any of you saw Benji McConkey at Dalton in the early 90's you saw the real deal if only he went to class. Electrifing, Benji was recruited by all the football factory schools but could only go to junior college at Georgia Military in which he quickly dropped because you still had to go to class.

SLJ, I remember Preston Poag but he never started at NCState. Or if he did not for a full season.

Ahso: I appreciate your head is not buried up your ..... well you know. Yea we have had our problems in the state championship game but it sure takes alot of talent,coaching, and yes luck just to make it to the game that I am very proud of our record of just making to it.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
SLJ, I remember Preston Poag but he never started at NCState. Or if he did not for a full season.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes, He started at State but he had stiff competition from someone else and I guess it was Sheridan who played the rotating quarterback game. Clarify if your memory is better.

Also N.C. Jacket: Poag has been the offensive coordinator and quarterback coach at Dalton High the past two years and a darn good one at that. He must have learned a lot up at state.

Praise the Lord and thanks to all the latest contributors who are talking football and not personalities: hate or love.
Stateline, a special thanks to you for your contributions.
For what it is worth, take it or leave it, bronze it or bury it: that is how I feel as I read this thread.
Thank y ou very much.

Criticizing Gailey for having highly touted quarterbacks not pan out is not fair. It is common place. Take a look at O'Leary. I recall hearing lots of talk about Hall, Crenshaw and Logan. For another thing, this is only his second season.

I do, however, recall someone blaming Billy O'Brian for Bilbo and last year. I'm thinking that might not have been fair either.

Isn't Bilbo a little tall for a rb? I'm not sure of his height, I just remember him towering over most everyone on the field last year. He looks more like a WR to me. But, if he can bust through a hole into the open field it will be magical.

I must say I'm disappointed. I was hoping Bilbo would come through. I actually liked what I saw from him last year (with the exception of the Fresno State game). My biggest beef with Chan last year was for not using him more. Maybe Chan was right...

Back