Bilbo to RB? Ball starting QB?

BeeBad, you said it not me, "highly rated HS QBs." A lot of highly rated HS players can't make the jump. To be honest I haven't seen what made AJ so highly rated to begin with. First at TN and now at GT he looks very average. Bilbo has physical skills which can carry you far in HS. But maybe he's been out of position all along.

BTW, remember Lee Williamson? Ross told our group in Raleigh he had the best tools of any QB he's ever seen. How about Crenshaw, player of the year in AL. Those are highly rated HS QBs that the Fridge couldn't make anything out of. That's why recruiting rankings are so iffy, nobody really knows what kids can do at the next level.

stateline, didn't realize you were a pro scout man. That must be cool. I assume that's the case since you know that Bilbo has NFL talent. I'd say he has an NFL arm. It takes a lot more to play QB in the NFL than an arm. If he can't figure out the reads in our offense after 2+ years, just how do you figure he's NFL caliber? Yes coaching has something to do with it. But there's also study and understanding required of the player. Don't know anything about DeBo's work habits, but something clearly wasn't clicking.

MSTA,

If you want to be treated like a lady, you should
act like one.

Honestly, I think everyone gave you a good bit of
extra leeway because you are female. (At least
you proclaim to be...)

You appear to have used that leeway up.

You're just another poster now, without special
"protection" or consideration IMHO.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by bellyseries:
LOL!

Stateline, you picked four guys whose development basically depended on coaches staying away from them.

I have officially decided to stay out of football discussions with PeePad, The Gnucklehead of Zurich, MsYANK, and one or two others. Responding just encourages them, and I am tired of hearing about their navels.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">And another thing ...
I'm proud of my heritage just as I'm sure you are of yours. And I choose as I was taught by my wonderful family - never to throw anything about who you are and where your from IN ANYONE'S FACE!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

NC Jacket: Where does NFL talent start with? If you said arm then you are correct. Size, smarts, footwork, and leadership ability are in the mix also. The area people want to question Bilbo with is smarts and I don't understand why. For goodness sakes the man attends Georgia Tech! His leadership abilities have not been questioned by anyone. Size and strength, no problem there. And footwork is coached. No one needs to be a certified NFL scout to recognize Bilbo's abilities. In fact when his career is up I will bet you he will be signed to an NFL contract as a quarterback if that is his desire. Want to bet? By all accounts he has worked extremely hard in the weight room and in the filmroom since the season ended. But I guess you would also pull the rug out from under him also after two practices in full gear. Maybe, just maybe this is a problem with having a passing game coordinator and a running game coordinator who is the quarterback coach. That sounds contradicting just repeating it. And maybe, just maybe Gailey, Nix and Geis need to attend a coaching clinic at Stephenson High School!

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
Well heck, I know that Reggie Ball is an excellent talent and was well coached in highschool at Stephenson, I remember watching him on TV in the state playoffs last year. That said, I also saw enough of Damarius Bilbo last year to be very excited about his play this year. Now if the coaches have judged that Reggie is the quarterback to lead Tech than Reggie should be the quaterback. OK, my problem with this is who is doing the judging. In no way shape or form should AJ Suggs have been the starter past game four last year. But Gailey has the responsibility for last years decisions so it is hard for me to see how D.Bilbo, based on his judgement could have fallen off the depth chart after two practices in full pads, especially with Reggie only playing in one and then being protected from contact. Also lets be straight about one thing, D.Bilbo has NFL talent as a quarterback. If he has not been able to assume command of the position through practice so far then I commend the coaches of Stephenson High School and their ability to develop Reggie's talent and at the same time the coaches at Georgia Tech and I mean Gailey, O'Brein, Nix and Geis have obviously failed at developing a superior talent. Seriously doubt they could have developed Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Steve Young, or Mike Vick.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Stateline, since when does QB TALENT mean a good QB. Bilbo is physically a perfect specimen at QB. However, playing QB takes ALOT more than physical skills. I've said this 1000 times, I'll say it again. Godsey had little QB TALENT, but he had what it takes to read defenses, know where to go with the ball, and how to make those quick decisions that QB's must do. Other side of the coin? Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith physical specimens, but neither of them are playing any more.

I really think you're just taking any shot you can think of. Why didn't Jermaine Crenshaw take the starting job away from Godsey after that great 2000 FSU game he had? Fridge was his coach, and he was physically better than Godsey, but I guess Ralph isn't suited t coach QB's.

Gimme a break.

And, if you want, read this:
http://www.stingtalk.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004229#000016

stateline, ability to make reads and understand an offense isn't necessarily about smarts, it's about recognition and reaction. And as everybody knows, book smarts is different from athletic smarts. How else do you explain somebody like T Bradshaw. He has great football instincts and smarts but wasn't exactly a Rhodes scholar. Nobody has ever said Bilbo isn't smart except those who don't want to accept that he can't get the offense down. I'd be willing to bet he can diagram it. And he's had 2+ years to get it, not 2 practices. But he can't do it when it's live. I can describe how to play the guitar, but I can't do it for real. Instead of blaming people what the coaches and Debo are trying to do is find the right position for him.

Beernuts: Oh I get it. A "I told you so post" Tons of guys out there with NFL talent. Well excuse me but I have watched high school football for 25 years without spotting an NFL talent at quarterback on every roster of every school I have seen. If there are tons in your neighborhood I should be seeing them show up on Tech recruiting lists very soon. As for Crenshaw and Godsey how can you assume that Fridge did a great job with one and not the other? Godsey had good ability, not as much as Crenshaw but good ability and excellent coaching. Same with Andy Hall. Godsey recieved the same coaching as Crenshaw and Hall and simply beat them out. All three had spent significant time in Fridge's system so they all started on even ground after Joe Hamilton's senior year was up. Reggie Ball's high school coaches deserves a lot of credit for his climb up to first string quarterback. And remember that in the only year that Bilbo spent under Fridge he was running the scout team and imitating other teams quarterbacks. To sum it all up if Gailey had went out and hired a very good offensive coordinator/Quarterback coach instead of the hodge-podge setup that he has, Damarius Bilbo would be standing out in practice instead of lining up with the runningbacks.

SLJ:

There's a reason you have watched HS football for 25 years, and have never spotted a "NFL talent at QB".

You live in Fort Oglethorpe, right? If so, you've seen little Division II talent run through North Georgia over the past 25 years, much less any NFL talent.

BTW, are you really Stump Martin? If so, you need to trim the mullet!

Originally posted by Dr. B:
SLJ:

There's a reason you have watched HS football for 25 years, and have never spotted a "NFL talent at QB".

You live in Fort Oglethorpe, right? If so, you've seen little Division II talent run through North Georgia over the past 25 years, much less any NFL talent.
BTW, are you really Stump Martin? If so, you need to trim the mullet!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Excuse me! I played at Dalton High School. Ownership of 43 consecutive winning seasons! And I have been all over this state and have seen all kinds of quarterbacks just from following the Catamounts all across the state and the Georgia Dome. You just ask ThomsonJacket in Thomson,Georgia or Tech fans in Carrollton, Cedartown, Stephens County and Thomasville about Dalton Football. Go look at Coach Bill Chappells lifetime record in the GHSA record book. Over 300 wins and a winning percentage of all most 80. Or go ask the people in Rome! West Rome won 4 straight titles in the 80's. East Rome won 2. Armurchee, Pepprell, and Model all in the Rome area have state championships in the 80's or 90's. Cartersville has 2 also. Why I am even responding to your stupidity is absurd in itself.

Dr.B: One more thing why don't you get some of that NFL talent crawling all over your neighborhood and get them to be Yellow Jackets. I guess they must be going to the Georgia Bulldogs. Fine help you are.

NC Jacket: Bad comparision on your part. Terry Bradshaw briefly lost his job at one point to Joe Gilliam. And Chuck Noll almost lost all patience with Terry before he finally started "getting it" as the popular phrase around here to describe Bilbo goes.

Stateline, you have made a correct statement, but made a grave mistake in the blame you placed on Gailey and Nix.

It was O'Brien that worked with Bilbo, Suggs, and Camp. If they were not coached up, it was a deficiency with O'Brien instead of Gailey and Nix.

Nix has worked with Bilbo extensively in the Spring and the first week of the Fall practices. In the first week of Fall practice, Nix, Gailey, Geiss, and the staff have determined that Ball has shown the most consistency and talent in leading the offense.

If it is obvious at this point, Ball seems the QB most likely to lead the team, then he needs the repetitions necessary to prepare himself and the offense for the opening game of the season. It would be foolish to dally around any longer if all the coaches agree on the change.

So, it is improper to blame Nix for the lack of development of Bilbo, Suggs, or Camp. The failures fall more on BOB than Nix. O'Brien had two seasons to work with Bilbo and Nix had only the Spring practice sessions.

Besides all of this, it may strengthen the team to have Bilbo play as an offensive back, WR, TE, or LB.

Father Time

Ahso: I did include Billy O'Brien. And though O'Brien probably deserves the most Gailey,Geis, and Nix have been his coaches since the first week of Feburary. They are his coaches and his teachers when it comes to reading defenses and throwing to the correct receiver. Everything about being a Division 1A quarterback comes from them. If O'Brien had messed up the job then it should have been recognized and corrected by the current staff.

SLJ:

Maybe I should have said NORTHWEST Georgia, instead of North Georgia. Next thing you're going to do is claim Parkview's State Championships!

Yeah, Dalton won a State Championship, back in what, 1968? Oh, and you forgot Trion's 1974 state championship

Armuchee has NEVER won a state championship in football. Model won its state championship in 1979. West Rome was an 80s dynasty (p.s., that was nearly 20 years ago). Needless to say, since West and East formed to make "Rome", they've not accomplished much.

There's a reason Dalton has won all of those games over the years. They're called Ringgold, LFO, LaFayette, Ridgeland, NW Whitfield, SE Whitfield, and Murray County.

Then again, as a Dalton guy, you sure know your QBs. David Raymond was something else last year, wasn't he? And we can't forget how Brad Patterson became QB at Dalton, after playing his Frosh and Soph years at LaFayette. Now, that Pete Wilson was a heckuva QB though. I see where Mitchell Boggs gave us hardball at UGA to walk on at UTC.

Oh, and I didn't realize it was my job to find NFL talent. But, thanks for letting me know. I'll try to do better.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
Gnome...You gotta be kidding.. You mean your going to start that: Blaming Chan....You dont have a team meeting to discuss a position change...Come On....

I believe anything now.....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BlackWatch - your rosy glasses are getting rosier everyday you post - it's time for you to grow up and understand the ENTIRE SITUATION in Mudville!
DBo wanted to transfer last year because he was so upset -his parents kept him at GT! AND YES, I DO KNOW THAT FOR A FACT, MORE THE A FACT!!!

The situation at GT is BIGGER THEN YOU, ME AND EVERYONE THAT POSTS HERE! If Reggie is the QB so be it and I hope he's REALLY GOOD and succeeds but this junk about believing Chan can run a program is getting OLD FAST!!!! Whatever the hand that's dealt - you grabbed it and are responsible for it -

Be an adult and STOP sending a message - through posters like you that it's everyone else's fault but the HC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you default in any job you had - when you made a mistake it was someone else's fault - I doubt it. This is getting SO OLD - everything happening at GT IS THE FAULT OF EVERYONE ELSE except Chan Gailey! Sorry, not so folks!

Chan has to earn respect, I have been saying that from day one. Anyone in any job does - he hasn't earned it from me and it looks like the kids on this team - who mean more to me then any coach here, are finding themselves in the same position, how sad is this! You should be more worried about the 18, 19 and 20 year olds then an adult who makes 900k a year!

And no - I'm not going away and you can start another thread to bash me all you want - it means nothing other then posters like you wanted stifle a differing opinion of what's going on - YOU LOSE BIG TIME ON THAT FRONT!
mad.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Wow...all this white on gold violence needs to stop

Gnats:

Stump is a NW Georgia, SE Tennessee ICON! He's actually a longtime sports/news reporter for the Chattanooga TimesFreePress, and he has his own "Stump on Sports" local cable TV show that promotes local HS athletics.

Oh yeah, he has a BAD mullet.

Stateline, the current staff did do something about the problem. First they got rid of BOB, they recruited some new quarterbacks for the mix, they selected the quarterback they deem best to lead the offense, and they are seeking a postition to best utilize the skills of Bilbo.

That appears to be progress to a solution of a problem.

Father Time

I live up towards Dalton, Calhoun, Cartersville and all of those programs. Been to plenty of games, especially Cartersville. Followed Marietta when I lived down that way. There is a huge difference in talent level. The northern programs are smaller schools that may be great for the area, but would get serious whippings playing the big metro schools like Parkview or Marietta or the Valdosta's of the world. Teams in metro Atlanta are just too deep, too big, and too fast and typically have first rate facilities. There may be a few come out of the northwest (Ronnie Brown from Cartersville), but that's it, a few.

Back