Bill O'Brien..

Patriot

Varsity Lurker
Bill O\'Brien..

I think that BO sensed a ship that was sinking. Not that his opinion is taken as a fact, but.. looking back at that situation, BO wanted out and out quick! What do ya'll think?

Re: Bill O\'Brien..

Did you watch the peach bowl? O'brien took the best offense in the acc and dismantled it costing us a 10 game season.

If anything Bill O'brien was the one that put holes in the ship.

Now I am not sure if CG can plug them but did O'brien was no help.

lawb, I agree with you, plus even further, I've suspected that O'Brian was part of the reason for the players quitting in the UGA game and the bowl game.

Let's see how Gailey does with his own coaches and players.

He obviously was in over his head and ran back to the umbrella of the Fridge. Which could be taken literally and figuratively.
O'Brien's play calling and decision making was obviously not as sharp as advertised. I felt that him leaving was probably a case of Chan giving him a choice of leaving or getting the boot.

Someone explain this to me...

With Coach George O'Leary, Mr. Bill O'Brien coached our Offense to an average of 31.5 points/game...

With gailey looking over his shoulder, Mr. Bill O'Brien coached our Offensive to an average of 21.8 points/game...

O'Brien was the common denominator... Yet a 10 point difference is production...

Wow would you please get off BOB. I hate it when you blame all these problems on him. BOB was a very good coordinator when given freedom. The fact that BOB wasnt allowed to carry out his job the way he was told drove him crazy. Yes he probably did sense things werent exactly going up.

My future prediction - After Gailey departs, Tenuta will be hired as head coach and BOB will return to the flats. Just my guess.

I don't think that we can totally blame the Peach Bowl on BO. We were in total control of that game at the half and just fell apart. Besides, if Fridge's offense ever struggle it was in a bowl game were people had 3 weeks to prepare!

You know that if RF ever came back, OB would be back as well so don't bash too hard.

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Someone explain this to me...

With Coach George O'Leary, Mr. Bill O'Brien coached our Offense to an average of 31.5 points/game...

With gailey looking over his shoulder, Mr. Bill O'Brien coached our Offensive to an average of 21.8 points/game...

O'Brien was the common denominator... Yet a 10 point difference is production...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">So I guess this means you are putting Godsey and Burns on par with Suggs and (?)?

Do you think so little of Godsey to compare his team to the next QB and so the HC was the difference?

Godsey propped O'brien up. Our decline started with the Peach Bowl. GG was able to slow it.

BOB's problem was that he was too inexperienced to deal with a new QB who didn't know what he was thinking and that couldn't execute like Goose. His first year under O'Leary was fairly effective but still not as fluid as Fridge. But that's to be expected, no one was going to run things like the Fridge, with all his experience. In hindsight the best thing BOB had going for him was Goose.

Last year I believe Chan gave BOB freedom to run things the way he wanted until it was obvious we weren't going to be effective. BOB was hampered by the QB play and just doesn't have the experience yet to know how to handle the situation he was faced with. I think he will be a very good coach one day, but that it just takes time.

I think he left because it became clear that Chan couldn't afford to let him have the freedom he wants, and if he was going to be relegated to a new role he'd rather do it with the Fridge. I think it works out best for both him and Tech.

Originally posted by law_bee:
Did you watch the peach bowl? O'brien took the best offense in the acc and dismantled it costing us a 10 game season.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yeah, I can see where we can blame our OC for seven turnovers. I am not an O'Brien supporter or dissenter, but I don't think him leaving was a sign of our program's status. It appears he and Gailey were not comfortable together so he had to go. I wouldn't read too much more into it.

Patriot, personally, I think BOB had no choice but to find another home.

BeeBad, that one is easy to answer. O'Brien had a quarterback trained under Friegden. Friegden often stated that Godsey already knew the play to call before he ever told him. He also stated Godsey always called the correct optional play when he lined up and had to change the call.

Personally, I believe Godsey could become a brilliant head coach.

The next year, it was obvious BOB did not know how to develop quarterbacks.

GTFish, I don't think BOB will ever see the Tech sidelines again. I also don't think Tenuta will ever be the head coach at GT.

I do believe Tenuta will eventually get a defensive coordinators position in the pros. At that time, I look for Spencer to take over as DC.

wink.gif

To get things strait BOB never at any point last year had complete free reign over the offenese. Lets go ahead and stop saying that. AT NO POINT, guys, NO POINT.

ahso, BOB may not ever come back nor Tenuta ever be a head coach at GT, but I promise it would be a crime for Tenuta not to be a college coach somewhere. I think if we had the chance and passed it up then we would be losing out greatly.

GTFish, find me some quotes by Gailey, BOB, or any of the coaching staff that will back up your statement. If you can't, it is only your opinion. There are just as many or more opinions that says O'Brien was over his head in the Peach Bowl.

Let's either state opinions or give facts. Statements without facts are nothing more than opinions.

wink.gif

BOB probably wasnt exactly ready for the Peach Bowl, ok. My information comes strait from the individuals from who I speak of, thats all. Its hard for me to form my opinion after the things I have heard. Believe me or not. Im just trying to help clear some of the things on this board.

Ok. So the Gailey answer to the anemic offense is 1) Pull some guy off the fishing boat who hasnt coached in college in years 2) Have Nix the QB coach be in charge of the game day running game??? 3) Have the new guy (Geiss) coach our 4 wide receivers and be in charge of game day passing game??? 4) Have the head coach call all the plays yet getting input from the other 2 (one in one ear and one in the other)???. And the one thing that Bradley said that has ever made me laugh and not in jest is, what is Gailey going to do on 3rd and 3, let the other 2 arm wrestle to figure out run or pass???? I guess I am in the Pessimist camp until this thing proves that Gailey and Braine (although he has already had his chances) are not the right ones for either job, and then I guess at that time I officially become a Realist I guess.

CG's job in the NFL was calling NFL plays. He had a job when he left and has a job waiting for him when/if he leaves Tech.

He has had success in all his places of work. Why would we not use him to call plays?

Law Bee- I dont know how many Dolphins games you saw but their offense was pathetic- I mean pathetic. 2nd- The Fridge recommended BOB for the job (of course he would) and yes he may have been a bit wet behind the ears- but the wide open offense we had in the 2nd half of the MD game and the NC St. was our offense not Gailey's. I dont think he ever gave BOB full reign. My opinion. But I do believe the move is best for BOB and us. I just think that Gailey is trying to run this thing like an NFL program (because they do have running game coordinators as QB coaches, etc.) and it's not. He is a good guy just not right for this job. I'll support him on the field and the team no matter what but that doesnt mean I think he is the best we can do at this stage.

The next year, it was obvious BOB did not know how to develop quarterbacks.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Facts ahso??? Sounds like just another opinion to me.

CG should have had a QB coach - that is not up to BOB to sign staff.

While we all point to the Peach Bowl you all seem to forget the Seattle Bowl.

Back