Bill O'Brien..

Re: Bill O\'Brien..

Kinda late to this one, but my $.02...

OB sucked. There was not an inventive play called in the last two years. You could count on one hand the number of times we caught the defense by surprise. I blame every 3-and-out and every wasted opportunity in the red zone on OB.

Ahso is right on this: "The downturn actually came in O'Leary's last year, not Gailey's first year." CG flattened the curve, now we shall see if there is any upwardness for this season.

Even the most staunch FOCer has to admit that Coach George O'Leary's last 2 recruiting years were very good... gailey had his kitchen cabinets stocked with goodies until he started squandering them with his foolishness...

If O'Leary had stocked his team with great players the last two years, why did he tank the team in his last 13 games (7-6) with a predicted top ten team?

Maybe O'Leary also knew a bunch of his players were going to fail like Burns. Maybe that is another reason he wanted to quit Tech.

Maybe he knew BOB could not pull him out of the fire like Friegden. It is possible, he had a lot of reason's for quitting Tech.

And how did Gailey squander them with his foolishness? Did he go to each one and tell them to fail on purpose. Even anyone who had the abilities to rise up to the rank of an idiot knows a coach would do every thing he could to keep players elligible if he had the opportunity.

Gee, the logic some of the posters use!

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
[QB]If O'Leary had stocked his team with great players the last two years, why did he tank the team in his last 13 games (7-6) with a predicted top ten team?[QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BINGO!!!!!
blue.gif

I just joined the board this week although I have lurked on occasion. I wanted to put my $.02 in about BOB. I agree with Patriot - I do think he sensed a sinking ship. Remember, he was brought through the ranks so to speak by GOL and RF so he couldn't have been too pleased with the lack of attention that Gailey paid to academics and the overall lack of discipline that we witnessed this season.

I don't understand how anyone can place full blame on BOB for our problems both in GOL's last season and this past year. There was no drop off offensively in the 2001 season - I think we led the league in passing and were second in scoring. What about the Clemson and Virginia games? The offense kept coming back and scored every time they needed to. Yes Godsey was a very intelligent quarterback but he wasn't calling the plays - BOB was.

I also don't know how anyone could think that the offense we saw this past season in any way resembled the offense we saw in 2001. We weren't as multiple and protections were different. Worst of all, we had a QB who wasn't even allowed to check off at the line of scrimmage for God's sake - this had to be CCG's doing. In BOB's offense Godsey checked off all the time!

I for one was sorry to see BOB go. He was an asset to GT as a recruiter and a coach. In my opinion, he could have been a great offensive coordinator at GT if he had been allowed to continue what he started in 2001. I wish him the best and hope the move turns out to be a good one for both him and GT. I also hope that we can stop focusing on former coaches and start looking ahead to the 2003 season! Go Jackets!!

Chuck51, You can't statistically put full blame on BOB. At the same time, you can't statistically put full blame on Gailey.

Since you have been lurking, I am sure you have read the gamut of all the pros and cons regarding BOB, Gailey, O'Leary, etal.

I imagine you have read the items suggesting it is possible Godsey was the main reason the offensive productivity remained rather high in 2001. Even at that, you would have to agree the offense struggled many times during the same 2001 season.

There was much concern in 2001 over the fact the offense tried to run Burns straight ahead for four consecutive carries close to the goal on many occasions.

I am sure you are aware Friegden was very versatile and generally ran just the opposite play of the one that was expected.

So, even though the scoring was high, there were many offensive problems in 2001. There was also the fact, Tech was rated as a top ten team and floundered badly in 2001.

I am sure you are aware Friegden often stated Godsey was one of the most savvy quarterbacks he had coached. He stated that Godsey almost always called the same plays he would have called.

Yes, the scoring remained relatively high in 2001, but its effectiveness did not produce the season that was expected. In fact, the 2001 team fell further short of expectations than the expectations of the 2002 team.

In BOB's two years without the Fridge, his record was 15-11. That was not bad, but it was not great either, especially when you consider we bombed in 2001 with one of the most talented teams ever at Tech.

Surely you agree, BOB did not seem to produce better quarterback play in 2002 after the experienced Godsey left. In fact, it appeared the quarterback play digressed as the 2002 year unfolded.

Since you stated your remarks as your opinion, I can appreciate them and consider your view. However, surely you can see the reasoning behind many of the opposite's view that just maybe, BOB was not ready and was partially responsible for last years offensive dilemmma and the ineptness of the quarterback play.

Since you are a long time lurker, surely you remember all the posts on Stingtalk during last season where a lot of posters predicted BOB would be replaced at the end of the season.

In fact there were many posters amazed at the fact he continued to be here up through the recruiting season. When it was announced immediately after the recruiting was completed that BOB had accepted a position at Maryland, it came as no big surprise to most of the fans.

My personal opinion is the majority of fans believe BOB and Gailey had already come to a mutual decision he would not be back next year. It is to BOB's credit he was willing to wait until the recruiting season was over to make the announcement.

I would not be surprised to find out that Friegden and BOB had an agreement much earlier. I would not be surprised to find out that Friegden, Gailey, and BOB all were in on the arrangement and timing of the move.

If BOB was a hot commodity, he would have received offers from other schools as an OC. He already was ready to go with O'Leary to Notre Dame. It tells me had no offers and probably put in a call to Ralph. He had already asked for an interview with Minnesota, most likely with the help of O'Leary.

Does Ralph really need an OC? If BOB ever attains that position, he will be back up in the coaches booth relaying information to Ralph, who will be calling the plays.

So, while we cannot call your's and Patriot's views wrong, we offer an alternate view which is just as valid since we have no proof either way.

Welcome to the board. Post often.

wink.gif

Last year, I had the impression that BOB did not want to be here, and it reflected in the way our team played. During a lot of our games, our coaches on the sidelines looked disjointed and out of synch whenever the offense was on the field. Bill O'Brien's head was elsewhere. He FULLY expected to be Notre Dame's OC, and was left hanging when O'Leary had to resign. I guess that he realized that his options were limited, and felt he had no choice but to stay at Tech. As soon as the opportunity presented itself, he bolted (and I'm sure that Chan was holding the door open to let him out.)

If I recall correctly, I don't think he recruited any players from 2003 class.

Ahsoisee, has made a remarkable reply here. Everything that went wrong was NOT all BOB's fault and neither was it CCG's fault. Whether or not BOB was coaching up to his potential, we'll never really know. My saying this is based on a lesson I got some years back when our sons were playing HS football. The oldest of the two played under 3 different head coaches during his time in HS. Odd as it is, believe me, it happened. Point being, different head coaches have tremendously different ideas as to how they want the game taught and coached. During the last of their head coaches reign, the defensive coordinator was probably one of the best ever to step on a field, even though he did play for UGA. Jack Shamblin was his name and he played there when Fran Tarkenton was there. Back to point: The last HC did not care for this man's way of coaching. Even though Coach Jack was one of the best, he still was not in sync with what the new HC wanted. Could that have been the situation with BOB? Dunno, but it is possible.

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Driver8:
Gnome,..I'll tell you exactly what is going to happen with all of this tricked-up coaching staff......a major train wreck. The only positive is this,....even the CG Choir won't be able to defend him cause this tragedy that is about to unfold is squarely on him. You made some excellent points about his lack of success as the OC at Miami and the Duke game last year,....in a word, it was pathetic. He might teach a mean Sunday School class, but as a head football coach at a Southern school,.....he hasn't a clue. Can't wait to see how these folks are running for cover when were 0-4. Gailey is killing our program and the sooner he's gone the better.

GATA JACKETS.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Driver8, I'm glad we got guys like you who know your football. Knee Jerker.
pat.gif

If guys like you ran the program, no one would want to come here and we'd be in a 20 year losing streak with everyone having given up on the program. You cannot judge a coach after one year. Stop being a damn idiot and making knee jerk statements.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Didn't realize anyone with differing views from your own weren't allowed to post here. I'll tell you this,....your opinions aren't worth two cents at our tailgate, but feel free to stop by the corner of the library lot and we can discuss it all you care to.

GATA JACKETS!!!!

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Driver, you cannot tell anyone exactly what is happening because you don't have the key to the future and you can only guess like anyone else.

You don't know that a tragedy is about to unfold. You are just blowing smoke. Prove it.

You say he doesn't have a clue as a head coach at a Southern football school. You don't know that either. Again, you are only guessing. How can you prove it? By the record? I have already proven his record last year (7-6) was the same as O'Leary's last 13 games (7-6).

If O'Leary had the same record in his last 13 games with a top ten team as Gailey did in his first 13 games, it would appear that O'Leary does not have a clue either about a Southern football team.

The downturn actually came in O'Leary's last year, not Gailey's first year. Let's see some facts instead of blowing smoke.

If you want to claim this as your opinion, fine, but why state it as fact?

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't have to prove anything to you. As for what is about to happen to our program,......just remember this topic. And for the record,.....we were much better off with Coach O'Leary than we will ever be with the Sunday School teacher at the helm. Can't wait to see you massage the numbers after we win 2-3 games this season and bet smoked by several of our rivals.

GATA JACKETS!!!

Is that all you've got driver? You are still enamored with GOL?

Who cast GT aside for another? Who lied on his resume? Who is not paying back the million? Who had Godsey at QB and could only do as well as CG's first season?
pat.gif

Originally posted by Driver8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Driver, you cannot tell anyone exactly what is happening because you don't have the key to the future and you can only guess like anyone else.

You don't know that a tragedy is about to unfold. You are just blowing smoke. Prove it.

You say he doesn't have a clue as a head coach at a Southern football school. You don't know that either. Again, you are only guessing. How can you prove it? By the record? I have already proven his record last year (7-6) was the same as O'Leary's last 13 games (7-6).

If O'Leary had the same record in his last 13 games with a top ten team as Gailey did in his first 13 games, it would appear that O'Leary does not have a clue either about a Southern football team.

The downturn actually came in O'Leary's last year, not Gailey's first year. Let's see some facts instead of blowing smoke.

If you want to claim this as your opinion, fine, but why state it as fact?

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't have to prove anything to you. As for what is about to happen to our program,......just remember this topic. And for the record,.....we were much better off with Coach O'Leary than we will ever be with the Sunday School teacher at the helm. Can't wait to see you massage the numbers after we win 2-3 games this season and bet smoked by several of our rivals.

GATA JACKETS!!!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THE SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHER PROVE ALL OF YOU NAY SAYER'S WRONG ABOUT THE DIRECTION THAT THIS TEAM IS HEADING IN.

To Driver

Gee, what an easy way out to say you don't have to prove anything to me. The fact is you can't prove it, and you know it.

As I have said many times, you are only guessing and you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right. If it happens the way you have guessed, it still means you did not know anything, you only guessed right.

On the other hand, if you miss, it proves you guessed wrong. So, you still have not proven you know anything.

And why would I want to massage the numbers if we only win two. You cannot find one post where I said we would win any particular number of games. I have not said we would be a winner this year nor a failure.

I have no need to massage the numbers. I have stated, I would wait until the season is finished to see if I think Gailey will succeed or fail at Tech.

All your post proves is you cannot read very well.

For those on the board who really want to know why there is a lynch mob and the real motivation behind the lynch mob, you have given the reason in your post just as BeeBad did in one of his posts.

There are also others in on the conspiracy beside you and BeeBad. I think in time, the reason will become perfectly clear to most fans on the board.

Let's see GOL was 11-14 in his first 2 1/3 years, no bowl games and 0-3 against UGA. It is fact, Gailey was 7-6 in his first year and went to a bowl. So, that proves the Sunday School Teacher was better in his debut than GOL.

O'Leary was 18-20 overall without Friegden and responsible for getting us into one bowl game. He quit before he coached that game. Without Friegden, O'Leary was 0-4 against UGA. So, O'Leary has been worse in 3 1/3 years without Friegden than Gailey has been in his first year.

O'Leary was 7-6 in his last 13 games with a team predicted to finish in the top ten in America. Gailey was 7-6 in his first 13 games with a team predicted to be 5th in the ACC conference.

It appears the Sunday School teacher did more with less than GOL.

Now what happens in the future, you nor I know for sure, but we do have the facts of the past, and they are not good for GOL.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

GTMoose, if you were at all familiar with coaching changes in college, or even pro ball, you'd realize that when a head coach takes another coaching job, he brings much of his staff with him.

BOB was an asset to Tech, and I couldn't agree more with Chuck51. Thanks for the great post, Chuck.......and, as always, GO TECH!

I love it. Driver8 comes on a Tech board, tells us all how we're going to suck next year, that our coach is a fool and we're going in the tank, then gets upset because Tech fans get pissed at him? Grow up buddy. Like I've said before...you have the right to post whatever you want, then you have the privilege of reading what others think of you.

Why is it if someone is positive and thinks we will be okay, that he/she is looking through gold colored glasses? But anyone who is down on the program is doing us all a service by calling the powers that be attention to the train wreck waiting to happen.

And BTW, the setup of our offensive coaches is not all that unusual. It will work with the right individuals and will fail if they don't work together. We'll see how it does. So in essence your comments aren't directed towards the setup, it's more of your anti-Chan drivel.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
I love it. Driver8 comes on a Tech board, tells us all how we're going to suck next year, that our coach is a fool and we're going in the tank, then gets upset because Tech fans get pissed at him? Grow up buddy. Like I've said before...you have the right to post whatever you want, then you have the privilege of reading what others think of you.

Why is it if someone is positive and thinks we will be okay, that he/she is looking through gold colored glasses? But anyone who is down on the program is doing us all a service by calling the powers that be attention to the train wreck waiting to happen.

And BTW, the setup of our offensive coaches is not all that unusual. It will work with the right individuals and will fail if they don't work together. We'll see how it does. So in essence your comments aren't directed towards the setup, it's more of your anti-Chan drivel.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Okay. Just in case there's any doubt,....your the type of Tech fan that I don't like. I'm pissed off at losing, at how our program is becoming a laughing-stock among our rivals, at how we are quickly becoming another Vandy or Duke.I'm not pissed off about what anyone on this board thinks about my comments. You're correct about one thing however,......I'm very anti-Chan, because I hold him personally responsible for killing our program.

I'll be there at BDS@HGF all season despite my hatred for GC. The program is bigger than he is and I will go to my grave supporting the 'Jackets!

GATA JACKETS!

Your prejudice will dictate a negative evaluation of CG even when we go bowling after a miracle season against the 4th toughest schedule in the nation, without 11 of our athletes, and boos from the stands.
pat.gif

Just out of curiosity, what is it about me you don't like? I don't like to lose, I break things around the house when we do (not as much as when I was younger, but still have my moments), I chase my family out of the house when Tech is playing on the tube, I HATE Ugag and I can't stand people who make stuff up to try to get a point across. I dont' like it when people take other's posts/words out of context and I can't stand people who make snap decisions and then won't look at anything else that might explain a situation besides their pet theory. I don't like people who can't even discuss things without either dismissing the other person and their views or just calls people names.

I have yet to see you actually carry on any kind of discussion on this board. If I've missed it I apologize, but calling for Chan's head in every post isn't a discussion and, no matter what you might think, he can't possibly be responsible for everything that's wrong at Tech. He may need to go, but my mind isn't made up yet.

And for the record, you tend to slip in that response that anyone who disagrees with you thinks you shouldn't post. That's what my comment was directed to. You come across just like the Hollywood elite on Iraq. You aren't immune from what others think of your posts, just as I'm not.

Thank you kingbee for enlightening me.
puke.gif

I am fully aware that in most cases, a head football coach takes most of his staff with him when he takes another head coaching job. (I believe that Roof, MacWhorter, & Kelly were headed to South Bend as well). My point was that I don't think that O'Brien expected to be here. He looked a lot less comfortable under the Gailey administration, and I think that it reflected in the play of our offense. O'Brien is used to his philosophy, Gailey is used to his. O'Brien was a lot more at ease under the O'Leary regime, and when the opportunity presented itself, he left.

O'Brien may have been good for Georgia Tech when O'Leary & Freidgen were here, but he clearly was not going to do us any good under Gailey. It just looked like a bad pairing to begin with.

Back