Bill O'Brien..

Re: Bill O\'Brien..

The one thing I can say about the offensive coaching setup we have is that everything can work with the right people in place. Not to say it will work here, but there is no such thing as a setup that can't work. That's like saying there's only one way to organize a company, pretty much anything can work in some situations. And any scheme you can think of will fail in other situations.

Can't say I saw too many Dolphin games but the Steelers and Broncos weren't too boring when I watched them. It's partly about schemes and strategy but it's also a lot about players. The Dolphins have been struggling on offense because of the material they had to work with. Fiedler is finally starting to figure out what he's supposed to do. When Gailey was there he was still learning.

Gee, Gnome, you mean CG got to the play-offs with pathetic players?

No. Their Defense was light years ahead of their Offense. Their offense was around #20 or #21 in Total Offense, Scoring was in top 15, but their defense got a ton of turnovers to set up many easy scoring opportunities. Their Offense looked just like ours from the Duke game last year- a replica. And again, that was in the Pros- this aint the pros.

Bottom line is without the fridge neither BOB or GOL added up to much.
drinking.gif
pat.gif

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Someone explain this to me...

With Coach George O'Leary, Mr. Bill O'Brien coached our Offense to an average of 31.5 points/game...

With gailey looking over his shoulder, Mr. Bill O'Brien coached our Offensive to an average of 21.8 points/game...

O'Brien was the common denominator... Yet a 10 point difference is production...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BB: Glad you brought this up because it is significant info for those who feel O'Brien did not succeed. That year alone with George - HE did all the play calling and the offense moved! If I'm not mistaken 2001 we ranked in the Top 10 in pts scored in the country.

That Peach Bowl was a bandaid situation for a guy who had never been an OC until that game and probably didn't know it was coming his way that soon. I find it interesting that the guru of offense - Ralph Friedgen raved about his protege and said so in a lengthy discussion on our 790 The Zone after it was announced.

Ralph obviously hired some good assistants at Maryland - looking at the success in only 2 seasons - I think he just added another one.

someone please explain to me why a great OC like Bill O'Brien cannot find another Co-ordinator position in one of the 117 div 1 schools in college football?

why does he have to go back to the fridge to become a inside linebacker coach. i mean the guy moves from being an offensive co-ordinator to a inside linebacker coach .. not even linebacker coach but inside linebacker coach.

who's ship is sinking? Tech's or O'Briens? maybe O'Brien realized that he wasn't up to par and went back for more lessons?

Bill O'Brien wasn't ready to be an OC, and Ted Roof was not ready to be a DC. The common denominator in both cases was O'Leary's inability to hire anyone outside of his ever shrinking circle of coaching contacts. He hired these guys when they were not ready for the promotion because he feared hiring someone he did not know. He was a control freak and needed assurance that his assist. coaches would ask "how high?" when he hollered JUMP!
O'Leary was lost without Friedgen, and his record without him proved it.
BOO

Dave Tech, I will change my statement to "it appeared to me, O'Brien did not know how to develop quarterbacks. Okay, that one is changed to a personal opinion, because I don't have any facts to back it up.

I can use circumstantial evidence to support my case. The prior year, the offense was high octane, and we had an experienced quarterback trained under Friegden. The next year, the quarterback struggled profusely and never seemed to get better during the year.

So, my opinion is Godsey was the reason for the good offensive production in 2001.

There are many times the Offensive Coordinator is also the quarterback coach. Maybe O'Brien had requested to be the quarterback coach. I don't know if he did or didn't, do you?

My guess is Chan had rather have Nix as the QB coach, but O'Brien wanted that job.

Mark up one for you on the Seattle Bowl. Both O'Brien and Roof performed well in that game.

smile.gif

bsmeter.gif

Originally posted by GTFish:
To get things strait BOB never at any point last year had complete free reign over the offenese. Lets go ahead and stop saying that. AT NO POINT, guys, NO POINT.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
wtf.gif

What in God's name are you talking about Fish??? OBrien had MORE freedom to do what he wanted to do with the offense last year than under O'Leary and he even admitted it 5 games into the season. You have serious selective memory.

OBrien WAS part of the problem. I never felt that OBrien mimicked Fridges offense. The only time it was Fridge like was under McWhorter and he had 11 experienced players by that point and the second best QB to play at Tech ever.

Originally posted by ylojk8:
[QB]someone please explain to me why a great OC like Bill O'Brien cannot find another Co-ordinator position in one of the 117 div 1 schools in college football?[QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
blue.gif
Can someone say, "BINGO"!!!!

ylojk8 - Not get in the middle of a good "Was BOB worth a damn or not" argument, just wanted to make a correction that Billy is now the RB coach at Maryland.

He did leave Ma Tech and initially took the LB coaches job, as that is all that was available on the staff after Fridgen let his ex-LB coach hang for the paying-of-recruits ignominity.

However, once at Maryland, the then RB coach (who was also the recruiting coordinator and one of, if not the only, holdover from the Vanderlinden era), left to take the RB coaches job at Florida.

Basically, the RB coach saw the writing on the wall - that BOB had been annointed by Fridgen as the OC successor to current OC Charlie Taffe, and the RB coach felt betrayed - that he had "earned" that next slot for OC. He did not leave on good terms with Fridgen.

So clearly our fromer OC left to ake a position coach at UM - initially a *defensive* position coach, but since moved to the offensive side. And from the manner of the departure of the ex-UM-RB coach, it would appear the Ralph has BOB lined up to be their next OC.

I don't know that this sheds any light into the argument - Billy still went "back home" so to speak for Fridgen, and took if nothing else a temporary demotion and significant pay cut along the way.

hmmm .. thanks for the info TIAR,B.

time will tell if BOB is a good coach when he again takes hold of the offense of some team. maybe it will be maryland.

I have no clue who was calling the plays and who had control over the play calling last year, but I do know that while sitting in the tropical storm with rain blowing sideways in Clemson last year, even my 12 year old questioned why we opened the game with 4 wide receivers and went 3 and out for the first couple of series.

That was the worst no-adjustment to game conditions I have ever seen and whoever was responsible for the play calling that day lost that game in the first quarter.

Gnome,..I'll tell you exactly what is going to happen with all of this tricked-up coaching staff......a major train wreck. The only positive is this,....even the CG Choir won't be able to defend him cause this tragedy that is about to unfold is squarely on him. You made some excellent points about his lack of success as the OC at Miami and the Duke game last year,....in a word, it was pathetic. He might teach a mean Sunday School class, but as a head football coach at a Southern school,.....he hasn't a clue. Can't wait to see how these folks are running for cover when were 0-4. Gailey is killing our program and the sooner he's gone the better.

GATA JACKETS.

Originally posted by Patriot:
I think that BO sensed a ship that was sinking. Not that his opinion is taken as a fact, but.. looking back at that situation, BO wanted out and out quick! What do ya'll think?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think he sensed wrong our ship is not sinking.

Originally posted by Driver8:
Gnome,..I'll tell you exactly what is going to happen with all of this tricked-up coaching staff......a major train wreck. The only positive is this,....even the CG Choir won't be able to defend him cause this tragedy that is about to unfold is squarely on him. You made some excellent points about his lack of success as the OC at Miami and the Duke game last year,....in a word, it was pathetic. He might teach a mean Sunday School class, but as a head football coach at a Southern school,.....he hasn't a clue. Can't wait to see how these folks are running for cover when were 0-4. Gailey is killing our program and the sooner he's gone the better.

GATA JACKETS.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">i can't wait either when CG show all of you anti -chan fans that this team is heading in the right direction!!!!!! LETS WAIT AND WE WILL SEE!!!!!!!!

Driver, you cannot tell anyone exactly what is happening because you don't have the key to the future and you can only guess like anyone else.

You don't know that a tragedy is about to unfold. You are just blowing smoke. Prove it.

You say he doesn't have a clue as a head coach at a Southern football school. You don't know that either. Again, you are only guessing. How can you prove it? By the record? I have already proven his record last year (7-6) was the same as O'Leary's last 13 games (7-6).

If O'Leary had the same record in his last 13 games with a top ten team as Gailey did in his first 13 games, it would appear that O'Leary does not have a clue either about a Southern football team.

The downturn actually came in O'Leary's last year, not Gailey's first year. Let's see some facts instead of blowing smoke.

If you want to claim this as your opinion, fine, but why state it as fact?

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by Driver8:

GATA JACKETS.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Driver8, I'm glad we got guys like you who know your football. Knee Jerker.
pat.gif

If guys like you ran the program, no one would want to come here and we'd be in a 20 year losing streak with everyone having given up on the program. You cannot judge a coach after one year. Stop being a damn idiot and making knee jerk statements.

With expansion coming and the current coaching conditions - the 'going in the tank' lingo won't take long to be heard!

Back