Boise State v/s VPI

Ask your wife to wop you upside the head. Then have her read you this post slowly so you can under-effing-stand.

1. VT implodes when they lose. As bad as anyone I've seen. they had a dude tweet WTTE that "He knows who to blame this on..." and a former player tweet WTTE that Stinespring sucks. Williams apparently said the season was a waste already. I don't know how long TT chewing out players on the field is gonna play well. We will see.

It's not the Titanic yet, but if the VT coaches don't plug the leaks, this team will implode and that has a direct impact on our ability to win in Blacksburg.

2. The fanbase is pissed. "Tired of supporting the team" posts abound. If the fans lose steam, Lane won't be worth five points as they say, more like the standard three points.

3. Recruits have to notice one and two, if they don't think it themselves. Hearing how Stinespring sucks from players and fans has to affect Offensive recruits. Without TT this is a 7-5 hokie squad. If they can't recruit the next TT, the Miami-GT game will be for the Coastal every year.

:bowdown:. Logical analysis of why it is not all bad when your rivals lose.

But what I am saying is Boise would take a BCS spot whether or not they won. All they had to do was go 11-1 after starting 3 preseason and they automatically qualify (unless TCU busts in). Now yes, I agree that if TCU now also goes undefeated then we may lose a BCS spot due to Boise's win over VT, however this also depends on how GT compares to other potential at large candidates.

And an undefeated Iowa was ahead of Boise in the BCS until they lost to Ohio State. In week 3 Boise was 7 and Iowa was 4. It is also worth noting that Boise was ahead of Iowa in both the Harris and Coaches poll at this point.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs/_/week/3

BSU would go to a BCS game regardless of last night's game? Either 12-0 or 11-1 with a loss to VT? I disagree. Pollsters would keep them out.

I just want to know what unfocused ass-clown started this nonfocusated thread of antifocusation.

After 600 focusless postings, is it even possible to refocusize? We may have caused permanent damage to our focusificationator with this extended defocusiciousness.

They only need to be top 12 to automatically qualify. A loss last night puts them around 10-15 and they will slowly move up as the season progresses and other teams lose. I think there is a good chance they end up top 12. Last year Va Tech was number 12 in the final BCS standings with 3 losses. A 1 loss Boise State team is definitely ahead of a good 3 loss team or decent 2 loss team, given their starting ranking of 3. JMHO

BSU would go to a BCS game regardless of last night's game? Either 12-0 or 11-1 with a loss to VT? I disagree. Pollsters would keep them out.

After 600 focusless postings, is it even possible to refocusize? We may have caused permanent damage to our focusificationator with this extended defocusiciousness.

No offense, but your response lacks focusivity. You really need to start focusing on the Kansas game. All we can do is suit up and play. PJ is not on this thread replying to my posts, is he?

Duhhh... retart points for me. But I'll use Iowa as an example. Iowa never jumped BSU.

Iowa was ranked #4 in the country when the lost to Northwestern on Nov 4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Iowa_Hawkeyes_football_team).
Iowa started the season ranked 21st in the country.

Boise was ranked #5 in the country on November 5th after starting the season 16th. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Boise_State_Broncos_football_team)

So Iowa did jump Boise, despite starting at a lower ranking, and would have stayed above them if they had not lost to Northwestern and Ohio State.

Care to try again, BoR?

They only need to be top 12 to automatically qualify. A loss last night puts them around 10-15 and they will slowly move up as the season progresses and other teams lose. I think there is a good chance they end up top 12. Last year Va Tech was number 12 in the final BCS standings with 3 losses. A 1 loss Boise State team is definitely ahead of a good 3 loss team or decent 2 loss team, given their starting ranking of 3. JMHO

Qualifying doesn't mean they will get an at large. A one loss Boise St team to the only top 25 opponent they will play all season assuming that Oregon State will eventually be out of the top 25, is not going to get them in a BCS game.

But what I am saying is Boise would take a BCS spot whether or not they won. All they had to do was go 11-1 after starting 3 preseason and they automatically qualify (unless TCU busts in).

QFT.

BSU, by virtue of their insanely high preseason poll, would not have dropped significantly even had they lost a close game last night to VPI. They may have dropped to the lower top 10, but no further. If they then win out 11 games, they are still ahead of us in week 12, assuming we lose only one along the way.

Last night doesn't affect us in the least, unless perhaps we both go undefeated, and only then there is the very small chance it affects us, because I still think an undefeated GA Tech would get to the theoretical MNC game ahead of an undefeated BSU.

2q8u5mo.png

Huh?

You both are assuming incorrectly that a hypothetical Boise team with one loss to VT is going to get a BCS at large berth, and I would disagree with that all day long. Just because they qualified, doesn't mean they would get accepted by the BCS as an at large.

An undefeated Boise sure. Not a one loss pansy schedule Boise.

AUTOMATICALLY qualifying does. Read the BCS rules

The highest-ranked champion of a non-BCS conference will receive an automatic berth if:
  • It is ranked in the top 12, or
  • Ranked in the top 16 and higher than at least one BCS conference champion.
meaning being in the top 12 DOES in fact guarantee Boise State a BCS spot. (Unless another non-BCS conference team is ranked higher than them)

Qualifying doesn't mean they will get an at large. A one loss Boise St team to the only top 25 opponent they will play all season assuming that Oregon State will eventually be out of the top 25, is not going to get them in a BCS game.

QFT.

BSU, by virtue of their insanely high preseason poll, would not have dropped significantly even had they lost a close game last night to VPI. They may have dropped to the lower top 10, but no further. If they then win out 11 games, they are still ahead of us in week 12, assuming we lose only one along the way.

Last night doesn't affect us in the least, unless perhaps we both go undefeated, and only then there is the very small chance it affects us, because I still think an undefeated GA Tech would get to the theoretical MNC game ahead of an undefeated BSU.
s78, I believe that if we have only 1 loss, and BSU has only 1 loss, that we would probably be ranked near or above them...but it really depends on who that one loss is.

The non-AQ automatic qualifying rule...so beautiful...FWIW I think it should be expanded to include more teams but that's just me

In any event, you are wrong in thinking Oregon State will be out of the top 25. They will probably win the Pac X this year.

And if that happens and VPI DOES win the ACC...would you really deny a team that defeated 2 conference champions and is its own conference champion a chance to play for the National Title??? Or even be upset about it?

Please note I did not read through the 16 pages of posts to see if you would think Boise State deserving of a BCS shot if OSU wins the Pac X. Also this is independent of your argument that this is bad for GT...sooo I guess I'm just asking a completely unrelated question :biggthumpup:

I digress. However, If Boise lost last night, the voters would keep them out of qualifying for a BCS berth. They'd get leap frogged all day as opposed to only a couple of instances by great performing teams.

If Boise State is number 12 in the BCS then it doesn't matter who is ahead of them, the BCS HAS to take them, they have no choice, it is in their contract. GT could be ranked number 5 in the BCS and Boise would get into the BCS before GT received an at large bid. The BCS is contractually obligated to give Boise a berth because they both won their conference and are in the top 12.

(assuming no other non-bcs team is in the top 12)

Since 2006, there has only been one year where a 3 loss team has not been in the top 12 of the bcs. That was in 2008 when Utah, TCU, and Boise State were in the top 12 and 13, 14, and 15 were all 3 loss teams.

I definitely doubt a 3 loss team would be ranked ahead of a 1 loss Boise State, especially since BSU started the season at 5 and 3!Therefore, Boise is essentially guaranteed a BCS berth regardless of last nights game. (again, as long as no other non-bcs team is ranked higher than them).

There are other factors as well. Like say Clemson would have beaten us in the ACCCG last year. They probably would have jumped to around 20 in the final BCS. The highest ranked non-BCS conference champion ranked higher than the lowest automatic qualifier from a BCS conference also automatically qualifies. So that 12 isn't even a solid number. If we take that example, if Boise State had been 19 and the highest ranked non-BCS conference champion, they would have automatically gotten a berth and stolen an at large.

I digress. However, If Boise lost last night, the voters would keep them out of qualifying for a BCS berth. They'd get leap frogged all day as opposed to only a couple of instances by great performing teams.

It still does not fix the fact that VT losing to Boise State last night hurts GT. There was not a good result for GT last night. Unless both VT and Boise lose more games and make it irrelevant.

Why was VT deserving of a top ten ranking?

By the way BOR is right losing to BS does the ACC no good.

s78, I believe that if we have only 1 loss, and BSU has only 1 loss, that we would probably be ranked near or above them...but it really depends on who that one loss is.

Depends on when it happens, too. A loss at the end of the season is devastating, unless it is a close loss to a top 5 team. Still, it would preclude us from an MNC in most cases. NB: Our last MNC was questioned even with just a tie, against other teams with a loss. That was 20 years ago. It's worse today.

It definitely affects the degree to which it hurts them and pushes it towards the negligible range. If GT goes undefeated we WILL be ranked ahead of Bouse in the BCS, regardless of the polls. Boise will not steal an at large BCS spot because it was going to take on eanyways anyways.

So the only scenarios where this hurts GT that I can see are:

If there are 2 non-BCS teams there and Boise State is taken ahead of GT as an at large when GT would have gotten an at large otherwise.

GT loses 1 game and finishes number 3 in the BCS behind an undefeated Boise (not very likely).

GT misses out on the MNC bases on SOS because of the Va Tech loss or potential bonus points from Va Tech being highly ranked.

GT goes undefeated and somehow the loss indirectly hurts the pollster's perception of the ACC enough that they vote GT lower than they would have otherwise had Va Tech won. If the other undefeated teams are from the Big 12, Big 10 or SEC it wouldn't matter. So one of the other undefeated teams would have to be from the Big East or the PAC 10

Any other ones?

Yes it potentially hurts, but in reality the specific scenarios where the Va Tech loss hurts are so unlikely and there is so much more football to be played that I still disagree.

However, scenarios where it helps:

GT is head to head with VT for an at large berth or GT, Miami, and VT are in a 3 way tie because GT beat Miami, Miami beat Va Tech, and Va tech beat GT. In this case the tiebreaker is the head to head of the two highest BCS ranked teams, which if these were Miami and GT and Miami was no more than 5 BCS spots ahead of GT, GT would go to the ACCCG and have a chance to automatically qualify.

It still does not fix the fact that VT losing to Boise State last night hurts GT. There was not a good result for GT last night. Unless both VT and Boise lose more games and make it irrelevant.

Back