Boise State v/s VPI

Your logic says we have to cheer for UGA too, right?

Unfortunately, but I don't. What I want, and what's best for GT, aren't always the same.

Bottom line is every week I want UGA to lose. But its best for GT to play an undefeated UGA team. So come the week of the game, I hope UGA is the best team possible. But I can't root for them to do that.

But to your point, its fine to recognize that what our hearts want,isn't always what is best to our head.

But when you try and make an argument that our in conference opponents losing OOC games doesn't hurt GT or even helps them.... well then... you're just not thinking clearly about how things work. And if you keep defending the point... you're going to come across as an idiot.

We don't have the same luxury with Boise State. Boise State wins, and they are ranked over 10 spots in front of us. We may win all of our games, but there is a damn good chance that Boise State would still be ranked in front of us if they do the same and they have a much easier schedule to do it.

Some of you really need to get a clue. You can't possibly be this ignorant.

Assumption is broken.

I will bet huge money that if a BCS team goes undefeated they will "leap" Boise.

Don't care where they start. Wisconsin, Michigan, FSU, Miami, Oklahoma, Nebraska, LSU, Auburn, USCe, all of them easily jump Boise if they go undefeated.

Technically, that's true, but I don't think BoR is saying that he's sad Boise won, just that it hurts us. Which it certainly does.

At the same time, the first person who states that we should be cheering for UGA to win every game they play is a retarded person, and we should shun them. And then burn their house down.

Exactly... but the UGA game has far different effects than what happened last night as far as conference (not GT) perceptions go. Boise's win creates a perspective that will haunt our conference all season.

UGA is at the end of the season. You could probably make an argument that a terrible UGA team is better for GT than a strong UGA team, solely because it weakens a competing conference. But that is based on the assumption that we win the game. Losing to a ****ty UGA team doesn't help anyone.

Assumption is broken.

I will bet huge money that if a BCS team goes undefeated they will "leap" Boise.

Don't care where they start. Wisconsin, Michigan, FSU, Miami, Oklahoma, Nebraska, LSU, Auburn, USCe, all of them easily jump Boise if they go undefeated.

The assumption isn't broken. You're basing that opinion on what we all think should happen. Well, last year the voters proved that theory incorrect. Whether we leap frog them or not, Boise State going undefeated puts them in a BCS bowlgame, so if we don't win the conference outright, our chances are that much slimmer at being an at large team, because they just filled the slot.

But lets pretend for a minute that we would go undefeated and BSU does the same. Are you saying that you would guarantee that GT preseason rank 16 would leap frog a Boise St. team preseason rank 5? I highly doubt it. With the media bias that GT has faced before, I can understand if an Iowa or an Auburn leap frogs BSU, but I can't see us doing so.

Unfortunately, but I don't. What I want, and what's best for GT, aren't always the same.

Bottom line is every week I want UGA to lose. But its best for GT to play an undefeated UGA team. So come the week of the game, I hope UGA is the best team possible. But I can't root for them to do that.

But to your point, its fine to recognize that what our hearts want,isn't always what is best to our head.

But when you try and make an argument that our in conference opponents losing OOC games doesn't hurt GT or even helps them.... well then... you're just not thinking clearly about how things work. And if you keep defending the point... you're going to come across as an idiot.

Look, I understand computer polls and how on pure math and transitive properties we want our opponents to beat teams not on our schedule. I got that. No doubt in a pure vacuum, the loss hurts us mathematically.

But there are legitimate points that are being made. If VT and Miami lose their starting QBs, that will very, very likely result in a negative impact to our SOS. But if it helps GT win the actual game with them, isn't that a legitimate point?

If VT implodes, is it not possible that could be the difference in a win or a loss vs them? Do you not think them imploding after we beat them helped UNC?

The assumption isn't broken. You're basing that opinion on what we all think should happen. Well, last year the voters proved that theory incorrect. Whether we leap frog them or not, Boise State going undefeated puts them in a BCS bowlgame, so if we don't win the conference outright, our chances are that much slimmer at being an at large team, because they just filled the slot.

But lets pretend for a minute that we would go undefeated and BSU does the same. Are you saying that you would guarantee that GT preseason rank 16 would leap frog a Boise St. team preseason rank 5? I highly doubt it. With the media bias that GT has faced before, I can understand if an Iowa or an Auburn leap frogs BSU, but I can't see us doing so.

Am I incorrect that the BCS is basically just a bunch of computers and the Coaches poll now? Does the media have a say? If they do you may have a point.

Am I incorrect that the BCS is basically just a bunch of computers and the Coaches poll now? Does the media have a say? If they do you may have a point.

Also, yes, I don't really factor in the at large BCS scenario.

Which I probably should.

Look, I understand computer polls and how on pure math and transitive properties we want our opponents to beat teams not on our schedule. I got that. No doubt in a pure vacuum, the loss hurts us mathematically.

But there are legitimate points that are being made. If VT and Miami lose their starting QBs, that will very, very likely result in a negative impact to our SOS. But if it helps GT win the actual game with them, isn't that a legitimate point?

If VT implodes, is it not possible that could be the difference in a win or a loss vs them? Do you not think them imploding after we beat them helped UNC?

Ok, lets take your point one step further... lets pretend that all of our competitors get beaten up and all have losing seasons, while we win out, destroying everyone of them. You think we are playing for an National Championship against 3 other teams who are also undefeated?

Ok, lets take your point one step further... lets pretend that all of our competitors get beaten up and all have losing seasons, while we win out, destroying everyone of them. You think we are playing for an National Championship against 3 other teams who are also undefeated?

Depends on the teams and who they play. I'm willing to discuss any hypotheticals. I say we would be behind undefeateds only from the Big12, Big 10 and SEC.

Georgie is gonna have a gaudy record and we play them last. That game by itself (VT being a shared opponent) is better than Boise's entire schedule to the media.

And yes, go undefeated and we would work our way up to one spot behind Boise by the Georgie game. That and the ACCCG would easily bypass Boise even if the Atlantic champ is a chump.

What if VPI gets curb stomped by GT, UNC, and Miami?

Will you change your mind then?

BoR, this is where we disagree. If we are undefeated, then we have won the conference and are going BCS -- and probably leap Boise. But if we do not win the conference, then we are not undefeated, and if Boise does run the table, then I can completely understand Boise getting a BCS bid over us. Are you saying that we as a 1 or 2 loss team (with no conference championship) should go to the BCS over an undefeated Boise? That is a different arguement than you have been making, and that one is a weaker argument, imo.

What if VPI gets curb stomped by GT, UNC, and Miami?

Will you change your mind then?

Yeah, and I already stated that in this thread if you go back. The only way that a Boise State win isn't that bad is if VT gets their asses beat by 3 or 4 teams in conference.

BoR, this is where we disagree. If we are undefeated, then we have won the conference and are going BCS -- and probably leap Boise. But if we do not win the conference, then we are not undefeated, and if Boise does run the table, then I can completely understand Boise getting a BCS bid over us. Are you saying that we as a 1 or 2 loss team (with no conference championship) should go to the BCS over an undefeated Boise? That is a different arguement than you have been making, and that one is a weaker argument, imo.

1.) I'm saying that if we both win out I don;t think we would leap frog Boise State. We didn't last year when we were both undefeated late in the season. They were preseason #5, we are preseason #16, the chances of us leap frogging them are slim to none.

2.) Other conferences are down, and IF the ACC ever had a chance to put two teams in the BCS then this year is as good as any. If we are that second team, then Boise winning last night doesn't help that situation at all because more than likely, they will now fill a slot if they win the rest of their games which is highly likely.

Don't see how you can argue against that.

Yeah, and I already stated that in this thread if you go back. The only way that a Boise State win isn't that bad is if VT gets their asses beat by 3 or 4 teams in conference.

OK didn't read through all of it to see that, so I apologize.

I disagree with the "magnitude of bad" since the AP vote doesn't count towards BCS anymore and the Harris and Coaches are already pretty biased towards BCS conferences...but I'll agree that it's not GREAT for the ACC to look like a good instead of AWESOME conference. But hell the SEC lost to Utah, the Big 12 lost to Boise, and the Big X hasn't had a top team play one of these type of teams...I believe...soooo conference perception isn't REALLY won or lost in these games in my opinion, and I disagree that it's that important anyway. BCS conference carries a lot of weight, and that is proven by the fact that Cincy would've been #2 had Texas lost, not TCU.

When were we undefeated late in the season? We lost in week 3 to Miami?

1.) I'm saying that if we both win out I don;t think we would leap frog Boise State. We didn't last year when we were both undefeated late in the season. They were preseason #5, we are preseason #16, the chances of us leap frogging them are slim to none.

2.) Other conferences are down, and IF the ACC ever had a chance to put two teams in the BCS then this year is as good as any. If we are that second team, then Boise winning last night doesn't help that situation at all because more than likely, they will now fill a slot if they win the rest of their games which is highly likely.

Don't see how you can argue against that.

I just want to know what unfocused ass-clown started this nonfocusated thread of antifocusation.

Do you think PJ posted a thread about the Boise St/VPI game? All we can do is suit up and play ball, guys. We must not have anymore lapses in focus. Focus, I tell you.

Well I just don't agree with your assumption that Boise is a lock in the MNC even if they go undefeated. This is what everyone assumed last year when they beat Oregon early. This year they started higher so they do have a more legitimate shot, but look at last years BCS rankings...even when Boise is ranked ahead of teams from a BCS conference (minus the Big East) by the Harris and coaches polls they are still lower in the BCS. Their SOS will always cause the computers to like them less. So if we do run the table, including palying a good team in the ACCCG we have a legitimate shot at jumping them.

If we don't run the table we likely don't have a shot at the MNC anyways. However, go back to 2008 and look at the Big 12 south. If that situation happens this year, Miami = Oklahoma, Va Tech = Oklahoma and GT = Texas Tech (based on starting position in the rankings and national media perception). Texas Tech missed out on the BCS despite being number 7. Now that Va Tech has lost, if that same sitionation presents itself GT gets to go instead of falling into the champs sport or something stupid, so in the almost infinite number of possiblities there are some in which VT losing helps us.

Also, whether Boise won or lost they were likely going to take a BCS spot. They started ranked so high they would have just bounced out of the top 10 with a loss and then moved into automatic qualifier position as teams ahead of them enter conference play and start to lose. The only thing that would have kept them out is another non-BCS team sneaking into the mix, TCU being the only legit possibility here.

Well I just don't agree with your assumption that Boise is a lock in the MNC even if they go undefeated.

Stop right there, not what I said.

BSU is a lock for a BCS game if they go undefeated which hurts our chances of possibly being an at large bid if we were to go 11-1 with one loss in conference to Miami who lets pretend wins out and wins the ACC.

But what I am saying is Boise would take a BCS spot whether or not they won. All they had to do was go 11-1 after starting 3 preseason and they automatically qualify (unless TCU busts in). Now yes, I agree that if TCU now also goes undefeated then we may lose a BCS spot due to Boise's win over VT, however this also depends on how GT compares to other potential at large candidates.

And an undefeated Iowa was ahead of Boise in the BCS until they lost to Ohio State. In week 3 Boise was 7 and Iowa was 4. It is also worth noting that Boise was ahead of Iowa in both the Harris and Coaches poll at this point.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs/_/week/3

Stop right there, not what I said.

BSU is a lock for a BCS game if they go undefeated which hurts our chances of possibly being an at large bid if we were to go 11-1 with one loss in conference to Miami who lets pretend wins out and wins the ACC.

Back