Boise State v/s VPI

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
ACC perception you jackass. God dammit our fans our ****ing morons sometimes.
How long have you been watching football? I'm sure you'll tell us "a long time", but I'm guessing not before 2006.

ACC blew in the 90's - didn't stop FSU

Big East blew in the early 2000's - Didn't stop Miami

2007 SEC was strong - Florida wasn't going to the MNC game until USC choked to UCLA, and UF got elevated by the voters to avoid a Mich/OSU rematch

2008 SEC was strong - LSU wasn't going to the MNC game until WVU choked to Pitt

We don't need VT to make our name for us. Win all our games, and GT perception will matter more than ACC perception. History shows it. Plus, getting into the MNC game is more about luck than anything else. Do your homework before calling the rest of the world idiots. I don't expect you to admit being a moron yourself, but I hope you take a moment to consider that a GT fan pulling for Beamer because of ACC perception is a fan without testicles.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
Stop posting... you're a ****ing idiot. It has nothing to do what our perception is of the ACC... it has to do with the media. And this doesn't help GT at all. It hurts GT. Do you understand that dumbass or do you still want to hammer home your idiocy?
Wait so you care about the media even though the AP vote isn't factored into the BCS and calling us idiots??? I'm confused??? Should we be yelling and screaming about all of NC State, Wake Forest, Duke and UVA's losses too this year???

Considering the coaches already put BSU as #5 before the game (its lowest ranking) it's pretty much guaranteed they are conference elitists like yourself, and we will not see BSU in the National Championship again.

Or is this really about the fact that Boise State has a chance to make it to the National Title game as opposed to every other year they've gone undefeated. That's all this game means/meant.

This is another fact from this game: VPI is not very good this year and thus this win will be made to look meaningless by season's end so that conference elitists can all rest easy. If BSU is so terrible why don't we play them in 2012?

i_like_money

Varsity Lurker
ACC perception you jackass. God dammit our fans our ****ing morons sometimes.

:rotfl: BOR is at it again. I'm glad that we have fans who don't buy into that conference pride BS. I'm not glad VT lost last night, but I really don't care either.

It really has nothing to do with us. Sure you'll hear the "ACC sucks!" trash talk from your SEC buddies. But who the hell cares. I love those debates because I get to prove to SEC fans how stupid they are. Everytime they brag about the strength of the SEC I say "Gee... I wonder how Miss St feels about the Alabama's championship win? You think they're happy?" or "Who cares if your conference is strong if you guys will never win a championship Mr. UGA fan?"

aeromech

Dodd-Like
How long have you been watching football? I'm sure you'll tell us "a long time", but I'm guessing not before 2006.

Who had built their own reputation outside of the ACC.

Who had built their own reputation outside the Big East.

I will concede you have a point here; but we can't build our own reputation outside of the conference by backing out of games against Alabama, ending our series with Auburn and Tennessee, and losing to UGA in our own stadium (and I don't even want to talk our last few bowl games).

aeromech

Dodd-Like
:rotfl: BOR is at it again. I'm glad that we have fans who don't buy into that conference pride BS. I'm not glad VT lost last night, but I really don't care either.
Yes, and these exact same fans will turn right around and talk about how the rest of Boise's WAC schedule is so weak. :rolleyes:

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
Who had built their own reputation outside of the ACC.

Who had built their own reputation outside the Big East.

I will concede you have a point here; but we can't build our own reputation outside of the conference by backing out of games against Alabama, ending our series with Auburn and Tennessee, and losing to UGA in our own stadium (and I don't even want to talk our last few bowl games).
There's no other place to build your reputation than outside of conference play (i.e., vs. rivals, bowl games, high profiled out of conference opponents, etc.)...making conference perception irrelevant which is the point.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
There's no other place to build your reputation than outside of conference play (i.e., vs. rivals, bowl games, high profiled out of conference opponents, etc.)...making conference perception irrelevant which is the point.
And this is where you are wrong. If you have recognized powerhouses in your conference you can build your reputation there. Beating a Tebow led UF for your conference championship means much more than beating Music City Bowl bound Clemson for instance.

We are at the point where we need to add Alabama to the schedule, not back out on them.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Again you are basing your entire argument on two games that haven't happened. Explain this genius. How is Boise State beating VT good for GT?

Your entire last paragraph is retarded. If we both go 10-1 from here on out and both lose to Miami, does that mean we both call a draw on our game? We still have to play one another genius. We get a leg up on VT by beating them.

But that win is reduced in stature to the voters because VT lost to Boise St.
Ask your wife to wop you upside the head. Then have her read you this post slowly so you can under-effing-stand.

1. VT implodes when they lose. As bad as anyone I've seen. they had a dude tweet WTTE that "He knows who to blame this on..." and a former player tweet WTTE that Stinespring sucks. Williams apparently said the season was a waste already. I don't know how long TT chewing out players on the field is gonna play well. We will see.

It's not the Titanic yet, but if the VT coaches don't plug the leaks, this team will implode and that has a direct impact on our ability to win in Blacksburg.

2. The fanbase is pissed. "Tired of supporting the team" posts abound. If the fans lose steam, Lane won't be worth five points as they say, more like the standard three points.

3. Recruits have to notice one and two, if they don't think it themselves. Hearing how Stinespring sucks from players and fans has to affect Offensive recruits. Without TT this is a 7-5 hokie squad. If they can't recruit the next TT, the Miami-GT game will be for the Coastal every year.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
And this is where you are wrong. If you have recognized powerhouses in your conference you can build your reputation there. Beating a Tebow led UF for your conference championship means much more than beating Music City Bowl bound Clemson for instance.

We are at the point where we need to add Alabama to the schedule, not back out on them.
Do you have an example of one of those in mind?

In thinking of recent history and today's game, I simply can't think of a program that has a reputation as a powerhouse by simply beating the big dogs in their conference without winning "the bigs ones" previously mentioned.

Hell, look at Georgia. They haven't been able to beat the big dogs in their conference on any sort of consistent basis, but they're considered up there with the "powerhouse" echelon because they have a couple of big name bowl wins and high profile out of conference wins.

aeromech

Dodd-Like

In thinking of recent history and today's game, I simply can't think of a program that has a reputation as a powerhouse by simply beating the big dogs in their conference without winning "the bigs ones" previously mentioned.

Ohio State maybe? I really can't think of a BCS conference that has lost as many big games as the ACC in past 7-8 years either though; which is why it would be beneficial to have VT beat Boise.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry

Hell, look at Georgia. They haven't been able to beat the big dogs in their conference on any sort of consistent basis, but they're considered up there with the "powerhouse" echelon because they have a couple of big name bowl wins and high profile out of conference wins.
Who? Oklahoma State and Hawaii? Are we Georgie's big OOC win?

Everybody has a couple big OOC wins and bowl wins. Hokies just beat Nebraska home and away.

Who did LSU play before their 2003? MNC? Their win over us in 2001 was best OOC win by far in 5 years before the MNC?

Did USC beat anyone before Carroll won the first one?

gtsmckdwn222

Flats Noob
This next week could be huge. The media WANTS Miami and F$U to return to prominence. If that happens, the ACC will start getting a lot more respect and GT will benefit when we knock off these two big dogs. Va Tech cannot and will not win the big one, so having them as the perennial ACC favorite only hurts the ACC. F$U, Miami, Va Tech and GT can be as powerful top 4 of the conference.

Ohio State maybe? I really can't think of a BCS conference that has lost as many big games as the ACC in past 7-8 years either though; which is why it would be beneficial to have VT beat Boise.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
This next week could be huge. The media WANTS Miami and F$U to return to prominence. If that happens, the ACC will start getting a lot more respect and GT will benefit when we knock off these two big dogs. Va Tech cannot and will not win the big one, so having them as the perennial ACC favorite only hurts the ACC. F$U, Miami, Va Tech and GT can be as powerful top 4 of the conference.
Both are underdogs by more than one touchdown.

Good luck with that.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
Who? Oklahoma State and Hawaii? Are we Georgie's big OOC win?

Everybody has a couple big OOC wins and bowl wins. Hokies just beat Nebraska home and away.

Who did LSU play before their 2003? MNC? Their win over us in 2001 was best OOC win by far in 5 years before the MNC?

Did USC beat anyone before Carroll won the first one?
I wouldn't classify Okie St. and Hawaii as elite programs, which is what this is about, right? People are making the claim the ACC has to be ZOMG-THE-GREEEEEATEST-CONFERENCE-EVAR!!!!!!!!1111111!!!! for GT to be considered elite.

UGA's big out of conference wins include going 2-1 in recent Sugar Bowls with a Cap One bowl thrown in there along the way.

And I'm not sure who LSU beat leading up to their MNC in '03. I know USC's coming out party was crushing a pair of Top 10 out of conference teams to finish the the year prior to their run.

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
Sorry, I meant we lose out the tiebreaker to Miami in the event of a 3 way tie. And the argument is still valid. If we tie Va Tech for 2nd in the Coastal behind Miami, whether or not we beat them won't necessarily matter when it comes time to pick BCS teams. In that case, a VT win over Boise gives them a huge advantage (possibly greater than us beating them) since Boise should be in the top 5. Head to head does not matter for an at large. However, an addional loss pretty much disqualifies them from any hope in the same scenario.

And also, what you are telling me if Va Tech wins it helps the ACC no matter what happens in the following weeks? And what I am saying is in comparison next weeks game are much bigger and more important, which is why I keep bringing them up. The rest of the season obviously matters too (Clemson SC, GT UGA, etc.)

We obviously aren't going to agree and we are pretty much arguing hypotheticals at this point anyways. 'If GT goes undefeated...' , 'If team X from the ACC wins their big OOC game', etc. We will just see how it plays out.

I don't believe VT's loss hurts us as badly as you, and enjoy watching Va Tech melt down. You think it is worse. I guess we will see, but we aren't going to convince each other one way or another.

However, just for future reference, it really isn't necessary to resort to blatant and immature name calling and it really hurts the validity of any argument you are trying to make

You are obviously new here. If I see someone say something blatantly ignorant, then I'm going to call you out for it. What you said was blatantly ignorant, and you still have yet to make a relevant point.

We play VT during the year. Their OOC results DIRECTLY EFFECT how we are ranked once we play them. If we win it hurts, if we lose it hurts.

Now you can choose not to recognize this, but it is a FACT that their OOC losses effects us negatively by the voters and the BCS formula.

Now if you think the BCS is just a lucky pipe dream that we should be lucky to be a part of and not bitch about how it could effect us now... fine. But we have a REAL competitive program now and we will be in the BCA conversation and VT or ANY other ACC team that is on our schedule losing to an OOC opponent hurts us. Period. End of argument.

So you either understand that, or you don't. And if you don't, you're not so smart about how college football works. That's not insulting... that's just a fact kind of like VT losing to Boise St. hurts GT.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
You are obviously new here. If I see someone say something blatantly ignorant, then I'm going to call you out for it. What you said was blatantly ignorant, and you still have yet to make a relevant point.

We play VT during the year. Their OOC results DIRECTLY EFFECT how we are ranked once we play them. If we win it hurts, if we lose it hurts.

Now you can choose not to recognize this, but it is a FACT that their OOC losses effects us negatively by the voters and the BCS formula.

Now if you think the BCS is just a lucky pipe dream that we should be lucky to be a part of and not bitch about how it could effect us now... fine. But we have a REAL competitive program now and we will be in the BCA conversation and VT or ANY other ACC team that is on our schedule losing to an OOC opponent hurts us. Period. End of argument.

So you either understand that, or you don't. And if you don't, you're not so smart about how college football works. That's not insulting... that's just a fact kind of like VT losing to Boise St. hurts GT.
Your logic says we have to cheer for UGA too, right?

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster

2007 SEC was strong - Florida wasn't going to the MNC game until USC choked to UCLA, and UF got elevated by the voters to avoid a Mich/OSU rematch

2008 SEC was strong - LSU wasn't going to the MNC game until WVU choked to Pitt

We don't need VT to make our name for us. Win all our games, and GT perception will matter more than ACC perception. History shows it. Plus, getting into the MNC game is more about luck than anything else. Do your homework before calling the rest of the world idiots. I don't expect you to admit being a moron yourself, but I hope you take a moment to consider that a GT fan pulling for Beamer because of ACC perception is a fan without testicles.
Well lets see.....
I've been an avid follower of GT football since I was 13 years old in 1986. I came to GT as a student in 1991, and have had season tickets to GT games for that long. Before that I was a massive Redskins fan starting before the Joe Gibbs era.

But I'll entertain your point you are trying to make.

Last night, Boise State beat the biggest opponent they have on the season. More than likely, they are going to go undefeated on their season.

Boise State is also ranked in front of GT. GT doesn't play Boise State but we do play VT, so if VT wins, they knock out Boise State and then we have a chance to knock them out.

We don't have the same luxury with Boise State. Boise State wins, and they are ranked over 10 spots in front of us. We may win all of our games, but there is a damn good chance that Boise State would still be ranked in front of us if they do the same and they have a much easier schedule to do it.

So Boise State winning, hurts GT. VT winning helps GT. All of this hatred for VT is fine, but use it when we play them. Sure I hate ****ing Beamer and the program. and yes, there is a small side of joy knowing that they blew it once again. But ultimately, that's my heart talking, not my head.

My head knows that Boise State winning last night is an early nail in our chances of having a truly special season, no matter how small that chance may be at this point.

It really doesn't matter what our chances are at this point, at this point, I pull for teams that help GT's goal of getting to a BCS bowlgame. There was early talk of two teams from the ACC actually getting into the BCS bowl system. The SEC is down, Pac Ten is down with USC out of the picture, this was the ACC's year to put two teams in.

Guess what, more than likely one of those BCS spots was just filled by Boise State.

Some of you really need to get a clue. You can't possibly be this ignorant.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
Your logic says we have to cheer for UGA too, right?
Technically, that's true, but I don't think BoR is saying that he's sad Boise won, just that it hurts us. Which it certainly does.

At the same time, the first person who states that we should be cheering for UGA to win every game they play is a retarded person, and we should shun them. And then burn their house down.