Bowl/conference tie-in's

18in32

Petard Hoister
Granted we probably don't need another bowl thread, but I thought it might be helpful to have a quick summary of the bowl tie-in's – because for me, playing a good-conference opponent is more important than location or whatever.

Camping World Bowl – ACC vs. Big 12

Belk Bowl – ACC v. SEC
Music City Bowl – ACC (or Big 10) v. SEC
Gator Bowl – ACC (or Big 10) v. SEC
Pinstripe Bowl – ACC vs. Big 10
Sun Bowl – ACC v. Pac 12

Military Bowl – ACC v. American
Independence Bowl – ACC v. SEC
Quick Lane Bowl – ACC v. Big 10
Gasparilla Bowl – ACC (or CUSA) v. American
Heart of Dallas Bowl – ACC (or CUSA) v. Big 10
Birmingham Bowl – ACC (or American) v. SEC

It's never as good or as bad as it seems with bowl threads.

My guess based on current ACC Records & Bowls in selection order...(still have two weeks left)

1. CFP/NY6
Clemson 11-0 (Last game vs South Carolina)

2. Camping World
Syracuse 8-3 (Last game vs BC) or NC State - 7-3 (two games left UNC & ECU)

4. (all equal selection)
a. Pinstripe - Pitt 7-4 (Coastal Champion, last game vs Miami)
b. Belk - NC State - 7-3 (two games left UNC & ECU) or Syracuse 8-3 (Last game vs BC)
c. Music City - Virginia - 7-4 (Last game vs VT)
d. Sun - Duke 7-4 (Last game vs Wake)

5. Military
Boston College 7-3 (Last game vs Cuse) 0r Georgia Tech 7-4 (Last game vs Georgia)

6. Independence
Georgia Tech 7-4 (Last game vs Georgia) or Boston College 7-3 (Last game vs Cuse)

7. Quick Lane
Miami 6-5 (Last game vs Pitt)

8. Gasparilla or First Responder Bowl
Currently Unfilled

Teams with 5 wins looking to fill last spots..
Wake Forest

Birmingham Bowl is a conditional... the ACC will not have enough teams to fill that slot

Also if Georgia Tech beats Georgia we could get a Music City Bowl or Tier 1 invite... We would bump Virginia... Duke Resume (Beat Northwestern who is ranked and Army who is ranked) will stay at Tier 1, Pitt being teh Coatal Champs will stay at Tier 1... NC State or Cuse with 8 wins alreay will get Camping World and the other gets Tier 1...

So Georgia Tech is in the fight for Indy & Military Bowls, with a win over Georgia we can bump UVA to Military/Indy and take a Tier 1 slot... a Loss to Georgia and we will get a Military or Indy or Quick Lane... here is the worry.... After the tier 1 slection, there is an order... It goes Military, Indy, Quick Lane, than the other.... So there is a scenerio where the Bowl reps do not like the Triple Option so they bypass us and we end up in Detroit... Lets hope not!

Last edited:
My guess based on current ACC Records & Bowls in selection order...(still have two weeks left)

1. CFP/NY6

2. Camping World

4. (all equal selection)
b. Belk - NC State - 7-3 (two games left UNC & ECU) or Syracuse 8-3 (Last game vs BC)

5. Military
Boston College 7-3 (Last game vs Cuse) 0r Georgia Tech 7-4 (Last game vs Georgia)

6. Independence
Georgia Tech 7-4 (Last game vs Georgia) or Boston College 7-3 (Last game vs Cuse)

7. Quick Lane

Currently Unfilled

Wake Forest

Birmingham Bowl is a conditional... the ACC will not have enough teams to fill that slot

Also if Georgia Tech beats Georgia we could get a Music City Bowl or Tier 1 invite... We would bump Virginia... Duke Resume (Beat Northwestern who is ranked and Army who is ranked) will stay at Tier 1, Pitt being teh Coatal Champs will stay at Tier 1... NC State or Cuse with 8 wins alreay will get Camping World and the other gets Tier 1...

So Georgia Tech is in the fight for Indy & Military Bowls, with a win over Georgia we can bump UVA to Military/Indy and take a Tier 1 slot... a Loss to Georgia and we will get a Military or Indy or Quick Lane... here is the worry.... After the tier 1 slection, there is an order... It goes Military, Indy, Quick Lane, than the other.... So there is a scenerio where the Bowl reps do not like the Triple Option so they bypass us and we end up in Detroit... Lets hope not!

Not convinced Duke and UVA will be considered more desirable for tier 1 than us. Are Duke fans really going to travel for a bowl game now that basketball season has started? It's the ACC though, so it's possible.

I presume you think the Gator picks a Big 10 team this time?

Stansbury should raise some hell if we are passed over for multiple teams we are ahead of in the conference standings.

Last edited:

1. CFP/NY6

2. Camping World

4. (all equal selection)

5. Military

6. Independence

7. Quick Lane

Currently Unfilled

Wake Forest

UVA and Duke do not jump Tech. Tech is firmly in the tier 1 bowls, probably Music City or Belk.

If Tech beats UGA and Syracuse loses, could a ranked Tech jump into the Camping World Bowl?

Crazy as it is, still theoretically possible to have 12 bowl eligible teams. Wake has to beat Duke. F$U has to beat UF. Virginia Tech has to beat UVA and Marshall.

Not convinced Duke and UVA will be considered more desirable for tier 1 than us. Are Duke fans really going to travel for a bowl game now that basketball season has started? It's the ACC though, so it's possible.

I presume you think the Gator picks a Big 10 team this time?

Stansbury should raise some hell if we are passed over for multiple teams we are ahead of in the conference standings.
If I am the Sun Bowl do I want a Duke 8-4 (presuming Duke Beats Wake) team that has beat multiple top 25 teams (Northwestern, Army) or an option team that lost to USF and is 2-2 OOC (if we lose to UGAg) Again if we beat Georgia We will be in one of the Teir 1 bowls....

If Virginia beats VT they ar 8-4... again same thing why would you pick a 7-5 team over a 8-4 team...

Could we sneak in aa tier one Bowl if UVA, DUKE, and BC all lose next week and we all finish 7-5....yes sir.... Do I think all tems will lose nope...
If we only had 37K show up to the Georgia Tech vs Virginia game than I am not so sure that your argument about us traveling to say El Paso is valid...

Also I agree we need AD TStan to nut up... But not in the tier 1 Bowls.... There is a real chance that Miami beats Pitt and finishes 7-5.... We will need AD TStan to point out our Second Place finish at 5-3 to keep the Bowl Reps from picking Miami over Georgia Tech say for teh military or Indy Bowls and pushing us to Detroit...

UVA and Duke do not jump Tech. Tech is firmly in the tier 1 bowls, probably Music City or Belk.

If Tech beats UGA and Syracuse loses, could a ranked Tech jump into the Camping World Bowl?
Nope... Becuase NC State has a real shot at being 9-3... So Cuse or NC State to the Camping Bowl... It is what it is....

If I am the Sun Bowl do I want a Duke 8-4 (presuming Duke Beats Wake) team that has beat multiple top 25 teams (Northwestern, Army) or an option team that lost to USF and is 2-2 OOC (if we lose to UGAg) Again if we beat Georgia We will be in one of the Teir 1 bowls....

If Virginia beats VT they ar 8-4... again same thing why would you pick a 7-5 team over a 8-4 team...

Could we sneak in aa tier one Bowl if UVA, DUKE, and BC all lose next week and we all finish 7-5....yes sir.... Do I think all tems will lose nope...
If we only had 37K show up to the Georgia Tech vs Virginia game than I am not so sure that your argument about us traveling to say El Paso is valid...

Also I agree we need AD TStan to nut up... But not in the tier 1 Bowls.... There is a real chance that Miami beats Pitt and finishes 7-5.... We will need AD TStan to point out our Second Place finish at 5-3 to keep the Bowl Reps from picking Miami over Georgia Tech say for teh military or Indy Bowls and pushing us to Detroit...

You are focusing way too much on overall record, rather than conference record. Duke will be at best 4-4 in conference and doesn't have to play Clemson. UVA will be 5-3 at best and same deal. I am not guaranteeing we make a tier one, only because the ACC loves to screw us, but we absolutely should.

uva's out of conference schedule is Richmond, Indiana, Ohio, and Liberty...and they lost to Indiana.

Crazy as it is, still theoretically possible to have 12 bowl eligible teams. Wake has to beat Duke. F$U has to beat UF. Virginia Tech has to beat UVA and Marshall.
Well honestly if Georgia Tech does not beat Georgia... and we finish 7-5 we need Wake to beat Duke, BC to lose to Cuse, UVA to lose to VT and Pitt to beat Miami....
That is our path to a Tier 1 Bowl since Pitt as the Coastal Champs already has one on lock and the loser of the Camping Bowl bid (Cuse/NC State) has the other....
So we have BC, Duke, UVA, GT and Miami all trying to sneak in for the final two slots..... and than Military selects, Indy, Quick Lane.... Call me crazy but AD TStan may just work a miracle keeping us out of the Quick Lane bowl...

Last edited:
You are focusing way too much on overall record, rather than conference record. Duke is 4-4 in conference and doesn't have to play Clemson. UVA is 4-3 and same deal. I am not guaranteeing we make a tier one, only because the ACC loves to screw us, but we absolutely should.
Duke played Clemson... What are you talking about..... Also OOC wins and losses also affect Bowl Reps opinion.... Duke's feather is beating Army and NW early on that are both top 25 teams while we may end up 2-2 OOC with an ugly road loss to an unranked G5 team... Everyone in the ACC has lost to Clemson... so Duke losing doesn't mean much.

Last edited:
Duke played Clemson... What are you talking about..... Also OOC wins and losses also affect Bowl Reps opinion.... Duke feather is Beating Army and NW early on... Everyone in the ACC has lost to Clemson

Oops. Correct. Still think we are ahead of them because 5-3 > 4-4.

For what it's worth, based on one third hand data point (my girlfriend's coworker's son is on the team but has only played a few mop-up snaps), the belief among the players was that if they beat UVA, they'd make one of the "tier 1" bowls. Now, as experienced fans, we know how these things tend to go - Belk wants a Carolinas team, Music City seems to want anybody but us, etc.

What'll probably happen is that we fall to like Detroit, are disappointed, and get boatraced by Fresno State or something.

JRjr

For what it's worth, based on one third hand data point (my girlfriend's coworker's son is on the team but has only played a few mop-up snaps), the belief among the players was that if they beat UVA, they'd make one of the "tier 1" bowls. Now, as experienced fans, we know how these things tend to go - Belk wants a Carolinas team, Music City seems to want anybody but us, etc.

What'll probably happen is that we fall to like Detroit, are disappointed, and get boatraced by Fresno State or something.

JRjr
Per Stan Awtry (White & Gold) on 16 Nov 18.... Georgia Tech's three bowl destentations were The New Era Pinstripe Bowl, The Walk-On's Independence Bowl and the The Quick Lane Bowl. So if the sources on the team are correct and not just trying to motivate the kids to beat UVA (I can see Tier 1 as a reason to motivate kids) then it appears that Pinstripe may actually want Georgia Tech!!!! That would be way better than the Quick Lane!!!! However telling kids that and actually being selected are two different things.

Link
http://thewhiteandgold.com/bowl-pictures-three-primary-destinations-for-yellow-jackets-p1961-165.htm

Last edited:
There is only one scenario where I see us dropping out of the Tier-1 bowls, and it requires all of the following happening:

1. Syracuse loses to BC, thereby missing out on the customary NY6 bid, and resulting in both teams finishing 5-3 in the conference (and 8-4 overall).
2. NCS beats UNC to finish 5-3 in the conference (and 8-4 overall).
3. UVA beats VT to finish 5-3 in the conference (and 8-4 overall).
4. GT loses to UGA to finish 5-3 in the conference (and 7-5 overall).

That scenario would produce 5 teams at 5-3, and Tech would have the worst overall record of the 5 teams, possibly dropping them from tier-1. It assumes that the ACC would fail to get the customary NY6 bid that comes with having a team in the playoff. Of course, Clemson and/or Notre Dame could lose Saturday, but would still end up in NY6 bowls, and then Syracuse would be out of the NY6 regardless. Anybody who thinks that Duke, Miami, or VT will bump us out doesn't understand the selection process.

Back