Bowl/conference tie-in's

Camping World Bowl is a lame company name bowl. I'd rather Tech go to the Independence Bowl or the Military Bowl or something else with a dignified name. This isn't NASCAR, öööö off

I don't like the sponsor name bowls either, but Camping World pays out about a million dollars more than Independence/Military. At least it's no longer the Russell Athletic Bowl.

I don't like the sponsor name bowls either, but Camping World pays out about a million dollars more than Independence/Military. At least it's no longer the Russell Athletic Bowl.
The kids get better gift bags (which is no small thing, seriously), and the school probably gets a little more to defray travel expenses. Otherwise all the money is pooled with our conference affiliates. So going to a bowl with a higher-payout really means very little to us.

The kids get better gift bags (which is no small thing, seriously), and the school probably gets a little more to defray travel expenses. Otherwise all the money is pooled with our conference affiliates. So going to a bowl with a higher-payout really means very little to us.

The swag bags are a big deal, to be sure. Here's an article about last years'

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/12/16740312/bowl-game-gifts-2017-players

Last year, the Camping World Bowl was a 400 dollar Best Buy gift card and a watch. For the Independence, it was a watch, skull cap and a football. The Military Bowl was socks, a beanie and a backpack.

Belk Bowl: Shopping trip to Belk department store, Fossil watch. Last year, an Arkansas player was suspended from the Belk Bowl after he was accused of shoplifting $260 worth of items on the Belk shopping trip,

Last edited:
Should upgrade to an Amazon or at least a Fry's gift card or something. Has anyone stepped into a Best Buy in the last ten years?

Surprisingly, Best Buy is still OK. I go in there occasionally when there's something I don't want to wait for. CDs and DVDs are slim pickings other than new releases, but they still have a good video game section. Lots of cell phone stuff, lots of home automation and fitness stuff. PC section has always sucked. It's not what it was, but it's OK. Probably holding up better than Fry's - the one at Gwinnett has been getting worse and worse for years.

JRjr

It looks like the ACC will have 11 bowl-eligible teams (if VT beats Marshall). Teams, current conference record (current overall record), and probable bids should be something like this:

Clemson 8-0 (11-0) Playoff

Syracuse 6-2 (9-3) Camping World

Pitt 6-2 (7-5) Tier One
NCS 5-3 (8-3) Tier One (plays ECU on 12/1)
GT 5-3 (7-5) Tier One

BC 4-4 (7-5) \
UVA 4-4 (7-5) } 1 to Tier One, 1 to Military Bowl, 1 to Independence Bowl
UM 4-4 (7-5) /

VT 4-4 (5-6) Quicklane (plays Marshall on 12/1)

Duke 3-5 (7-5) }Gasparilla/Heart of Dallas, Birmingham
WF 3-5 (6-6) /

Last edited:
It looks like the ACC will have 11 bowl-eligible teams (if VT beats Marshall). Teams, current conference record (current overall record), and probable bids should be something like this:

Clemson 8-0 (11-0) Playoff

Syracuse 6-2 (9-3) Camping World

Pitt 6-2 (7-5) Tier One
NCS 5-3 (8-3) Tier One (plays ECU on 12/1)
GT 5-3 (7-5) Tier One

BC 4-4 (7-5) \
UVA 4-4 (7-5) } 1 to Tier One, 1 to Military Bowl, 1 to Independence Bowl
UM 4-4 (7-5) /

VT 4-4 (5-6) Quicklane (plays Marshall on 12/1)

Duke 3-5 (7-5) }Gasparilla/Heart of Dallas, Birmingham
WF 3-5 (6-6) /

So the Duke loss was big because they could’ve jumped us being within one game in the standings, right? VT win hurts us because they could jump us now, right? How do you have them pegged for Qucklane, is that a done deal?

So the Duke loss was big because they could’ve jumped us being within one game in the standings, right? VT win hurts us because they could jump us now, right? How do you have them pegged for Qucklane, is that a done deal?
I can't see how it's that big. Do you really care where we play? After today's performance I'd almost prefer we play down the ladder to give us a better chance of a win. That's the bruise talking, but man there's nothing worse than finishing the season with consecutive losses, especially after building some good momentum.

PS. CPJ's finished with consecutive losses 5 times in 10 seasons (2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017). That's a pretty poor record, I think.

A tier one bowl should help recruiting. We will not see a team at the Clemson/UGA level. We can win the bowl game. I would prefer to play a team that has never seen the TO.

This feels like an “f-it and not show up and lose to Fresno State” kind of bowl year to me no matter who we play, after seeing that performance today.

JRjr

Never know with bowl games. We beat USCw in 2012 after getting blown out by uga. One of Chan's mediocre teams destroyed Tulsa. Just luck of the draw, I guess.

My updatec quess based on current ACC Records & Bowls in selection order...(VT beats Marshall, NC State beats ECU & Clemson beats Pitt)

1. CFP/NY6
Clemson 13-0

2. Camping World
Syracuse 9-3

4. (all equal selection)
a. Pinstripe - Georgia Tech - 7-5
b. Belk - NC State 9-3
c. Music City - Miami 7-5
d. Sun - Pitt 7-6 (Coastal Champion)

5. Military
Virginia 7-5

6. Independence
Boston College 7-5

7. Quick Lane
Duke 7-5

8. Gasparilla or First Responder Bowl
Wake Forest 6-6 or VT 6-6

9. Birmingham Bowl (conditional)

My updatec quess based on current ACC Records & Bowls in selection order...(VT beats Marshall, NC State beats ECU & Clemson beats Pitt)

1. CFP/NY6
Clemson 13-0

2. Camping World
Syracuse 9-3

4. (all equal selection)
a. Pinstripe - Georgia Tech - 7-5
b. Belk - NC State 9-3
c. Music City - Miami 7-5
d. Sun - Pitt 7-6 (Coastal Champion)

5. Military
Virginia 7-5

6. Independence
Boston College 7-5

7. Quick Lane
Duke 7-5

8. Gasparilla or First Responder Bowl

9. Birmingham Bowl (conditional)
I agree with all of this, except I’d have Pitt in Pinstripe, Miami in Sun, GT in Music City.

If NCSU jumps Syracuse, put Syracuse in Pinstripe, Pitt in Sun, GT in Belk, Miami in Music City.

Back