Brent Key midseason poll... are you happy?

Are you happy with Brent Key at the midpoint of his first season?

• Hell yeah he's the man

Votes: 48 18.7%
  • Hell no, he sucks

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • I'm waiting until the end of the year before I vote

Votes: 156 60.7%
  • I miss Paul Johnson

Votes: 38 14.8%
  • I miss Geoff Collins

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • I miss Vad Lee

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
The one turnover that everyone's talking about wasn't actually a turnover. So we certainly got lucky that the camera angles weren't very good. Glad we got the gift, but our coach going around celebrating after the fact isn't a good look when it was clearly a gift. Very clown like. @OlearyLookAlike
The fumble wasn't a gift because our D was in place and giving effort and at least made the refs make the call on a fumble. Even if you call that a gift, the O still had to go 70 yards in 26 seconds with no timeouts. All of that wouldn't have mattered if we hadn't kept up our effort and focus throughout the game in order to make the fumble mean something.
It was one of the most improbable endings in a CFB game in recent years, Miami was ranked and favored to win by 16 points.

He is obviously not a happy person. He goes on a Georgia Tech board with Bobby Bowden and an obscenity on his avatar and expects us to pay attention to what he says. He may be the reincarnation of 1982Jacket.
Awww did I hurt your fee fees?

I don’t think the fumble call was nearly as lucky as you suggest. It was a good play by a D that never quit leading to a borderline call that went our way. The O then took over and executed very well, putting the ball into the EZ for the W. The only part we agree on is Mario made a stupid call. Beyond that we took the opportunity and cashed in on. There’s lots to celebrate there if you want to be constructive.
1. The D never quit even though the game was lost.
2. The D made a great play to force a decisive TO.
3. The O never quit and came back in the field to salvage the game.
4. The O executed very well and won the game.
Those are all things that winners do, so it represents this team learning how to win. The next step is to do it again this Saturday.
It wasn't actually a fumble, though. His knee was down.

This is how I know you’re not happy we won.
This is like telling a man who is celebrating hitting 12 red that he's not happy because he said "I'm so lucky" as he was celebrating.

Meanwhile, you're over here telling me that we won on 12 red because we were prepared or some bullshit like that.

Either way, hitting a single number on roulette in a single play is a higher probability than the sequence of events that unfolded at the end of the last game. I want this program to have higher goals than being lucky.

It doesn't matter what actually happened, all that matters is what the refs call/review rules. That's how it always has been. The actual truth of what happens in the game doesn't matter, it's what the refs interpret that becomes the truth. Refs called a fumble watching real speed with their eyes, then reviewed it with every camera angle they had and found no conclusive evidence to reverse it. It was a fumble.

His knee or elbow?

The play was called a fumble and then reviewed. It was not overturned. The head of officiating for the ACC confirmed it was the correct call a day later. It was a fumble. The best you got is a stop action photo with his elbow down and his hand still around the ball. However, the very next split second the ball comes loose. He obviously did not have full control of the ball at the second his elbow hit the ground. That was how it appeared in real time and that is what determined under two reviews. Like it or not, it is what it is. Beyond that...

It was GA Tech players that caused that fumble, not contact with the ground.

Now. The fumble didn't lose them the game, it merely gave GT one last crack at a score from 75 yards away with 26 ticks on the clock and no timeouts.

It was GA Tech players that drove the ball into the EZ in 24 seconds for the W.

Dude, if you're truly a GA Tech fan, alumnus, whatever, you're not showing it in this interaction. I don't know you at all, but it sure doesn't appear so in this exchange.

This is like telling a man who is celebrating hitting 12 red that he's not happy because he said "I'm so lucky" as he was celebrating.

Meanwhile, you're over here telling me that we won on 12 red because we were prepared or some bullshit like that.

Either way, hitting a single number on roulette in a single play is a higher probability than the sequence of events that unfolded at the end of the last game. I want this program to have higher goals than being lucky.

Not exactly like hitting anything in roulette. This was a coach making a bad call. It happens all the time.

We put them in a position where they had to snap the ball to win. They chose to do something stupid. Then we executed on holding the runner up and stripping the ball when everyone knew that is what we were going to do. Then we went 70 yards in 25 seconds to take a 3 pt lead.

His knee or elbow?

The play was called a fumble and then reviewed. It was not overturned. The head of officiating for the ACC confirmed it was the correct call a day later. It was a fumble. The best you got is a stop action photo with his elbow down and his hand still around the ball. However, the very next split second the ball comes loose. He obviously did not have full control of the ball at the second his elbow hit the ground. That was how it appeared in real time and that is what determined under two reviews. Like it or not, it is what it is. Beyond that...

It was GA Tech players that caused that fumble, not contact with the ground.

Now. The fumble didn't lose them the game, it merely gave GT one last crack at a score from 75 yards away with 26 ticks on the clock and no timeouts.

It was GA Tech players that drove the ball into the EZ in 24 seconds for the W.

Dude, if you're truly a GA Tech fan, alumnus, whatever, you're not showing it in this interaction. I don't know you at all, but it sure doesn't appear so in this exchange.
So I'm not a GT fan in your eyes because I think we got lucky that the replay booth didn't have a definitive angle to overturn a call on the field that most likely was wrong and that we were certainly lucky that their coach didn't take the knee?

Honestly, it's interactions like this that really cross the line. Totally uncalled for accusation on your part.

The play was called a fumble and then reviewed. It was not overturned. The head of officiating for the ACC confirmed it was the correct call a day later. It was a fumble.
i don't believe ACC officials were confirming it was actually a fumble. they're just confirming that "play stands" was the right call based on evidence on hand. imo better camera angle reverses that call as player down. super lucky break for us, but just part of the game, not something we should point at as being sole reason for win or shoulda been loss.

The one turnover that everyone's talking about wasn't actually a turnover. So we certainly got lucky that the camera angles weren't very good. Glad we got the gift, but our coach going around celebrating after the fact isn't a good look when it was clearly a gift. Very clown like. @OlearyLookAlike
yes we got a lucky call, but who expected us to go toe to toe down to the wire with undefeated miami team. so +1 for CBK and team. loss to bowling green is -1, so even on the season so far. jury still out CBK and if this season a success yet or not.

So I'm not a GT fan in your eyes because I think we got lucky that the replay booth didn't have a definitive angle to overturn a call on the field that most likely was wrong and that we were certainly lucky that their coach didn't take the knee?

Honestly, it's interactions like this that really cross the line. Totally uncalled for accusation on your part.
No, I'm simply questioning why you cannot give credit to our team for an outstanding finish in the Miami game. It's your position that crosses the line, IMPO. I'd expect that of a UGAg fan who doesn't want to give credit to the Jackets for anything.

i don't believe ACC officials were confirming it was actually a fumble. they're just confirming that "play stands" was the right call based on evidence on hand. imo better camera angle reverses that call as player down. super lucky break for us, but just part of the game, not something we should point at as being sole reason for win or shoulda been loss.
They were confirming that the refs made the right call on the replay. Parse that however you might. I do not concede that it was a mistaken call to rule it a fumble. The player did not have control of the ball as he hit the ground. It was very close and debatably could have gone the other way. But it's also not certain either way. I guess that is what I want to hear folks say. We didn't get lucky. Our players made a great play that was called our way. If there was any luck, it was that ACC refs made the right call and stuck with it.

Not exactly like hitting anything in roulette. This was a coach making a bad call. It happens all the time.

We put them in a position where they had to snap the ball to win. They chose to do something stupid. Then we executed on holding the runner up and stripping the ball when everyone knew that is what we were going to do. Then we went 70 yards in 25 seconds to take a 3 pt lead.
Thank you! This is not rocket science.

No, I'm simply questioning why you cannot give credit to our team for an outstanding finish in the Miami game. It's your position that crosses the line, IMPO. I'd expect that of a UGAg fan who doesn't want to give credit to the Jackets for anything.
I don't think we played to our potential in that game. We had a horrible game offensively apart from a handful of good plays (scramble drill winner, JH truck TD). We gave up way too many yards on defense and only kept points off the board because we were able to force an unsustainable number of turnovers. This is not a recipe for a consistent winning program. We have to be a lot better and our HC needs to demand that level of performance. I did not appreciate his attitude immediately post game because it told me that he is OK with being a team that doesn't consistently win. He used the phrase that we "showed our potential"... well, if our potential is to need the opposing HC to make a stupid decision and we get lucky on replay angles in order to barely beat the #17 team in the nation, then he and I have very divergent views about the level of expectations we should have as a program.

If the clock were at 39 seconds with the opposing team having the ball and a 3 pt lead in every game for the rest of the year, would you consider that success and showing our potential?

I wouldn't. I'd consider that a loser mentality.

I don't think we played to our potential in that game. We had a horrible game offensively apart from a handful of good plays (scramble drill winner, JH truck TD). We gave up way too many yards on defense and only kept points off the board because we were able to force an unsustainable number of turnovers. This is not a recipe for a consistent winning program. We have to be a lot better and our HC needs to demand that level of performance. I did not appreciate his attitude immediately post game because it told me that he is OK with being a team that doesn't consistently win. He used the phrase that we "showed our potential"... well, if our potential is to need the opposing HC to make a stupid decision and we get lucky on replay angles in order to barely beat the #17 team in the nation, then he and I have very divergent views about the level of expectations we should have as a program.
Do you think the team finished well when the opportunity was provided to them?

Do you think the team finished well when the opportunity was provided to them?
Yes, of course. I ran around my house cheering.

What I'm pissed off about is that with 5 turnovers you should be beating the absolute brakes off a conference opponent. We should've demolished Wake Forest, not even close, but instead we let them hang around and then got big headed. öööö that.

If the clock were at 39 seconds with the opposing team having the ball and a 3 pt lead in every game for the rest of the year, would you consider that success and showing our potential?

I wouldn't. I'd consider that a loser mentality.

If we won everyone of those games then I would call that a success. We took a moral victory of hanging with a ranked team at their place and turned it into an actual victory.

I congratulate you on inventing the opposite of a moral victory. What shall we name it? Immoral loss?

Back