Candidates For New Head Coach

One more thing: Anyone saying we need a new DC is retarted. No head coach is gonna let an assistant mess up the one thing he knows. GC says he’s a defense guy. Our defense is his.

If we’re gonna keep the same staff, don’t fire Thacker. Promote him to HC and demote GC to DC.

Did you figure all that out over a nice bowl of grits at the Waffle House?

At least half of GT's freshman class every year is from the state of Georgia.

Overall enrollment at Tech is 40000. Undergraduate is between 16 and 17 thousand. Nearly twice as many as Notre Dame (!), Stanford, Wake Forest, Boston College and Northwestern. More than the University of Miami, TCU, Baylor, Ole Miss, Louisville, Duke, Vanderbilt, Syracuse . . . . About the same as Oregon (!) and UVA. Only a couple or so thousand less than Clemson, USC (west), UNC, Kansas, Pittsburgh, Oklahoma State . . . .

So that is all bullshit.

There are more than six MILLION people in the Atlanta metro area. All we really need to do is appeal to the youth in Atlanta. öööö the rest of the state. It's not rocket surgery.

BTW, the University of Houston is 9-1. Despite being like the eighth most popular college football program in Texas behind UT, A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, etc. And they would absolutely kick Tech's ass on the field.
UH also has a billionaire who treats UH athletics as his own little toy. He’s bankrolled a new stadium and a refurbished basketball arena along with getting top notch coaches from power 5 schools. We don’t have anyone like that willing to write a blank check

One more thing: Anyone saying we need a new DC is retarted. No head coach is gonna let an assistant mess up the one thing he knows. GC says he’s a defense guy. Our defense is his.

If we’re gonna keep the same staff, don’t fire Thacker. Promote him to HC and demote GC to DC.
You need to stick to law because you don’t know a thing about football.

Not true. CPJ operated this way, but not many others do. Most head coaches tell their assistants what they want, but it’s up to the assistants to decide how to do it. You think Dabo micromanages Brent Venables? Dabo is successful largely because he found good assistants, gave them great players, and got the öööö out of their way when it comes to Xs and Os. If we’re ever gonna make it work under CGC, that’s the model.

Not true. CPJ operated this way, but not many others do. Most head coaches tell their assistants what they want, but it’s up to the assistants to decide how to do it. You think Dabo micromanages Brent Venables? Dabo is successful largely because he found good assistants, gave them great players, and got the öööö out of their way when it comes to Xs and Os. If we’re ever gonna make it work under CGC, that’s the model.

Dabo was a wr coach and is the poster child of a hands odd coach. A sample size of 1, and it doesn't disprove his point anyway.

So GC knows more than our current DC but does nothing? I’m not buying it.

You said you see no improvement. I thought it was clear when U said that others see differently that I thought other see improvement.
I'm sure they see differently. I'm genuinely curious as to why what they see means OPTIMISM after 3 yrs of this. Because the record hasn't ... talent has....and regardless of overhaul. At this point....more than a glimmer of hope is what's expected. Collins isn't getting it done. And our AD needs his ass kicked for hiring a not even "up and comer" for a power 5 gig

Ancient history, but that was Dodd's model as well. He had a unique talent for assembling and managing a staff.

I remember cpj made a comment a while back that recruiting at tech was like recruiting for the academies. I'm not saying we need a coach from one of them, but I do suspect that a coach with a background at schools with a similar culture would help. Rigors of education, hard work, etc.

I'm inclined to think bronco would be a good fit with the right OC. He's a defensive minded coach and had a consistent record at BYU.

I think GP could be a good fit as well, as I think he brings an unorthodox style that can become an identity for us. We're a team that's been without identity since we lost Johnson. Even if it's not the option, I think finding a unique selling point will benefit us.

Back