Candidates For New Head Coach

There’s the problem. The 3O fans act as if we would magically be bowl eligible each year if we only ran the 3O. First, the 3O is what broke our bowl streak. Second, the 3O is responsible for a bad roster that continues to resonate. The only thing magical that will happen if you switch to 3O is that these few great players you are depending on to run the 3O (looking at Gibbs) will leave. Third, blocking rules changed since the 3O was last magical.

Thats not to defend the current clown show because they clearly aren’t coaching players to potential. There are significant defects to the 3O though and I doubt we or anyone else will go back to it in a form as pure as CPJ. At most you will see a Friedgen type system.
I don’t necessarily disagree with this, but we didn’t have the money behind PJ that we have behind GC. We didn’t even have an AD that knew anything about football for part of PJ’s tenure. An argument can certainly be made that the 3O won’t get the recruits we need to win though, and I respect that.

Tech doesn't have the money to hire a big name or even fairly well regarded proven coach. Tech really should establish a permanent committee to seek out up and coming coaches. But who will run that committee? TStan? ugh
GT has to bankroll a big time coach who is going to get recruits if it wants to win. Start winning and the money will come.

GT has to bankroll a big time coach who is going to get recruits if it wants to win. Start winning and the money will come.
I used to think similarly but I honestly don't anymore. I see little proof any amount of success will bring in big time money. Should increase the flow a little but I think the well is fairly shallow. Maybe a UGA natty would increase desire to compete more? I think Tech has to outwork and outthink more than it will ever be able to equal the spending of other programs, much less outspend any other programs, in a meaningful way.

I used to think similarly but I honestly don't anymore. I see little proof any amount of success will bring in big time money. Should increase the flow a little but I think the well is fairly shallow. Maybe a UGA natty would increase desire to compete more? I think Tech has to outwork and outthink more than it will ever be able to equal the spending of other programs, much less outspend any other programs, in a meaningful way.
If we’re not able to legitimately compete for the same recruits that Clemson, UGa, Miami and Fsu compete for, then we have to go to a system that gives us an advantage with lesser ranked players. I believe that was the reasoning behind hiring PJ.

We have to think 30 years from now. It’s not going to change now, by their teens or earlier most have chosen their team.

Bill O'Brien as head coach. George Godsey as offensive coordinator and QB coach. Retain Choice. Retain Key for now.Make those moves and the current players will stay and the recruits will remain committed. No question about NFL credibility and he understands our school.

You mean Samford's head coach? That is Chris Hatcher. He was previously at Valdosta State and Ga Sou. Hal Mumme coaching tree.
Hatcher was a hot name on this board when Chan got canned and he was winning big at Valdosta State. I think he's been pretty mediocre since moving on from there.

We have to think 30 years from now. It’s not going to change now, by their teens or earlier most have chosen their team.

I'm not sure that it's fundamentally possible. Ignoring alumni, UGA is THE school that everyone from Georgia generically roots for if they have no other CFB allegiances. GT has a small number of students for a P5 school, a massive percentage of the students have no ties to Georgia and don't stay in the state after graduating. Our relationship is far more Vandy-Tennessee than it is Florida-Florida State. The ship on having general appeal to the state of Georgia sailed like 50 years ago.

I think the one real marketing avenue we have is to go after hipsters in the city and brand ourselves as an Atlanta United sort of thing. Bobby Dodd is a very authentic stadium in a convenient place in the city, I think there is something there. But GT will never in a million years have UGA-style popularity or revenue flowing in.

I'm not sure that it's fundamentally possible. Ignoring alumni, UGA is THE school that everyone from Georgia generically roots for if they have no other CFB allegiances. GT has a small number of students for a P5 school, a massive percentage of the students have no ties to Georgia and don't stay in the state after graduating. Our relationship is far more Vandy-Tennessee than it is Florida-Florida State. The ship on having general appeal to the state of Georgia sailed like 50 years ago.

I think the one real marketing avenue we have is to go after hipsters in the city and brand ourselves as an Atlanta United sort of thing. Bobby Dodd is a very authentic stadium in a convenient place in the city, I think there is something there. But GT will never in a million years have UGA-style popularity or revenue flowing in.
Well if we do that it may spare us from BDS getting torn down next time they riot.

Yeah, but then I have to sit around a bunch of Eurotrash Kickball idiots. I guess a small price to pay to get some more talent.

Bill O'Brien as head coach. George Godsey as offensive coordinator and QB coach. Retain Choice. Retain Key for now.Make those moves and the current players will stay and the recruits will remain committed. No question about NFL credibility and he understands our school.
That's our problem, everyone who ever drifted through the Flats is ok to hire but if you haven't your not a Tech man so get lost? How about we hire the best possible football coach and ditch the litmus test? At this point, I'd put all options on the table, including, yes, Georgia.

Did you figure all that out over a nice bowl of grits at the Waffle House?

At least half of GT's freshman class every year is from the state of Georgia.

Overall enrollment at Tech is 40000. Undergraduate is between 16 and 17 thousand. Nearly twice as many as Notre Dame (!), Stanford, Wake Forest, Boston College and Northwestern. More than the University of Miami, TCU, Baylor, Ole Miss, Louisville, Duke, Vanderbilt, Syracuse . . . . About the same as Oregon (!) and UVA. Only a couple or so thousand less than Clemson, USC (west), UNC, Kansas, Pittsburgh, Oklahoma State . . . .

So that is all bullshit.

There are more than six MILLION people in the Atlanta metro area. All we really need to do is appeal to the youth in Atlanta. öööö the rest of the state. It's not rocket surgery.

BTW, the University of Houston is 9-1. Despite being like the eighth most popular college football program in Texas behind UT, A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, etc. And they would absolutely kick Tech's ass on the field.

The overall frustration with the coach isn’t from a place of unreasonableness. Most fans appreciated that this was/is a process. It’s not unreasonable to expect a crappy bowl in year 3. But instead, we’ve got a loss to NIU and no more wins than we had year 1 and 2.

I don’t want any new coordinators. I want our coach to do his ööööing job and get us winning

Back