Catchall Deion Sanders Thread

Colorado will have a decent STARTING OL this year. The depth will probably be an issue, but hell, I've never heard of that before. Sanders needs a guy who can generate for himself at the RB position so that his Pops can use resources to protect himself. I think you'll be surprised.

Having said that, they'll still give up 35+ points per game
How many starting OL are returning from last season?

They will be the greatest 5-7 team in history. Just ask the fanboys, media come December.

Mark it down. This will be Prime’s last year at Colorado. Once the kids move on, so will Prime.

They will be the greatest 5-7 team in history. Just ask the fanboys, media come December.

Mark it down. This will be Prime’s last year at Colorado. Once the kids move on, so will Prime.

Buffs better hope he moves on willingly, of his own accord. If he mails in his performance and they have to fire him, they owe him 75% of his remaining contract.

Personally I think he'll jet just like he did from the HBCU. Can't promote his sons' careers from Boulder after they're gone. Might pull an Urban Meyer with his foot condition.

Colorado got what they needed. A lot of money quickly, a re-energized fanbase, excitement around the program, etc. He may or may not be able to field a highly competitive team, not sure it matters. He will be gone in no more than 3 more years, Colorado's AD will have money to deploy and he'll be able to attract a good coach and staff.

It had to be pretty easy to break them down on game tape, they had so many gaping holes last year. Reminded me of the clown show era here, except he tried to use the players he had.

Yeah there’s no way he’s walking away from that huge buyout, CU is gonna have to fire him…….unless lol an NFL team hires him away for his amazing coaching skillz

Yeah there’s no way he’s walking away from that huge buyout, CU is gonna have to fire him…….unless lol an NFL team hires him away for his amazing coaching skillz

It would be too much and too obvious if he bolted for the NFL and drafted his sons anyway. At this point he's probably eyeballing that 75% buyout from Colorado. He can spend his time calling NFL teams to promote his sons and let Colorado's program go TFG beneath him while he does it. Then he can retire back to XTwitter and preach about how important HBCU's are from his infinity pool, even though he used and abandoned Jax St.

It would be too much and too obvious if he bolted for the NFL and drafted his sons anyway. At this point he's probably eyeballing that 75% buyout from Colorado. He can spend his time calling NFL teams to promote his sons and let Colorado's program go TFG beneath him while he does it. Then he can retire back to XTwitter and preach about how important HBCU's are from his infinity pool, even though he used and abandoned Jax St.
He couldn’t get a job as a freaking clipboard holder in the NFL at this point, it’s a joke that people keep throwing that out there

No one is saying as a HC. “Rumor” is he will be their agent, moving into that new role.

Colorado got what they needed. A lot of money quickly, a re-energized fanbase, excitement around the program, etc. He may or may not be able to field a highly competitive team, not sure it matters. He will be gone in no more than 3 more years, Colorado's AD will have money to deploy and he'll be able to attract a good coach and staff.

It had to be pretty easy to break them down on game tape, they had so many gaping holes last year. Reminded me of the clown show era here, except he tried to use the players he had.

The biggest difference between Deion and the Clown is that Deion has alienated high school programs across the region and basically destroyed Colorado's traditional recruiting ability. That, and shambled roster Deion will leave could be a detractor for the AD looking for another coach.

Have they gotten a cash injection, though? They sold a bunch of tickets and merchandise, but spent a lot of money to do it. Everything I've seen has been "marketing value" which is a load of BS.

I was interested in it, but not adamant. Circling back to confirm I was an idiot for even being interested. I also bought into the other guy for a little while. Don’t call me about stock advice.
You get a lot of credit for circling back. It wasn't so much the folks who were intrigued by the possibility - the media attention and the obvious recruiting boost, etc. It was the folks who scoffed at Key and his unglamorous and methodical approach in favor of the 2023 football equivalent of Flava Flav.

Have they gotten a cash injection, though? They sold a bunch of tickets and merchandise, but spent a lot of money to do it. Everything I've seen has been "marketing value" which is a load of BS.

I previously did a post with 2021 to 2022 comparison of UC financial reported to NCAA. I just downloaded 2024 report so will do the same analysis.

It appeared from last comparison that a lot of the "we grew 90% year over year" was going from numbers like $10,000 to $19,000 marketing fluff, but 2022 to 2023 should be a more representative view of the "Deion Effect".

Dude, this info is not hard to find. Their sold out their tickets for the first time ever, merchandise sales are up 800% with huge margins, they raked in $90M in advertising revenue. By this time next year he will have paid for his entire contract, reinvigorated a moribund program. Let's say, 2/3 of that is all lies and it's only $30M. That's a lot of cash to add for what was probably a $50M/yr program..

We can argue his style, his lack of coaching ability, some don't like him because he's bucking the status quo, etc but the financial impact is unmistakable. Maybe that works at Colorado but does not work at GT because our fanbase will never rally around a program like that, but the Colorado AD hit the jackpot.

We took the safe, inexpensive so called low risk route. We may turn out way better and I think we will, but right now Colorado is kicking our ass. Key could have pulled in an extra $3-5M this past year, but he's gotta triple that just to get back to where we were in 2018. To have another program adding $90M/yr or even if it was $90M over 3 yrs, it's gonna take Key 10 yrs to catch up and another 10 to get us healthy. That's a very lng time.

I get the counter arguments that we hired a clown and couldn't have 2 clowns in a row. Clown #1 was a financial disaster, cost us 20-25% of our annual revenue. Keys helping recover about 5-10% per year at this point probably and that's a very long time to get back to "a previously not great" financial position. It's all about the money and in the end money is what's going to kill our program..

If Deion leaves and skips the 75% buyout, then they get the mass exodus instead, same as Jackson State. The new coach will be able to come in with a hopeful message about repairing high school relationships, but he's going to need to find 75+ players. Deion's players are only there because they idolize Deion and they don't give two $#%@'s about Colorado. And he doesn't give two &%+*'s about them.

Dude, this info is not hard to find. Their sold out their tickets for the first time ever, merchandise sales are up 800% with huge margins, they raked in $90M in advertising revenue. By this time next year he will have paid for his entire contract, reinvigorated a moribund program. Let's say, 2/3 of that is all lies and it's only $30M. That's a lot of cash to add for what was probably a $50M/yr program..

We can argue his style, his lack of coaching ability, some don't like him because he's bucking the status quo, etc but the financial impact is unmistakable. Maybe that works at Colorado but does not work at GT because our fanbase will never rally around a program like that, but the Colorado AD hit the jackpot.

We took the safe, inexpensive so called low risk route. We may turn out way better and I think we will, but right now Colorado is kicking our ass. Key could have pulled in an extra $3-5M this past year, but he's gotta triple that just to get back to where we were in 2018. To have another program adding $90M/yr or even if it was $90M over 3 yrs, it's gonna take Key 10 yrs to catch up and another 10 to get us healthy. That's a very lng time.

I get the counter arguments that we hired a clown and couldn't have 2 clowns in a row. Clown #1 was a financial disaster, cost us 20-25% of our annual revenue. Keys helping recover about 5-10% per year at this point probably and that's a very long time to get back to "a previously not great" financial position. It's all about the money and in the end money is what's going to kill our program..

So your article says "$90M revenue" then cites a study done by the university itself to determine "equivalent ad value" of the media coverage. This has 0 impact on university financials and frankly you should be embarrassed to suggest it does.

CU financial reports are online and debunk the claims made in media.

You can drill down all you want but here's the simple top line:
Football Revenue Expenses Profit
2021 $17.2M $17.5M ($0.3M)
2022 $49.1M $25.5M $23.6M
2023 $50.1M $35.0M $15.1M

Football ticket sales were down from $16.6M in 2022 to $13.0M in 2023
Expenses up due to $7M severance paid to the coaches fired to hire Deion

The $90M advertising number was an estimate by a third party firm of the value of extra mentions CU got on ESPN, etc. due to Deion. No actual revenue was received by CU for this. Royalties, Licensing, Advertising & Sponsorship revenue at the CU level (they do not break out by sport) has been $7.5M, $5.9M, $6.7M in 2021, 2022, 2023.

The Deion revenue bump is roughly $17M in ticket sales/concessions/parking and $6M in contributions from 2021 levels, partially offset by a $5M increase in coaching salaries. The bulk of the rest of the revenue increases came from conference TV rights and bowl game payouts.

Time will tell whether CU can hold on to the revenue gains post-Deion. If Deion leaves with a big severance package, that will burden the program going forward.

So your article says "$90M revenue" then cites a study done by the university itself to determine "equivalent ad value" of the media coverage. This has 0 impact on university financials and frankly you should be embarrassed to suggest it does.
The equivalent value guestimate was over $300M. I didn't mention that. The fact you can't understnd what's going on financially is frankly pretty shocking.

He turned a profit at their Spring Game. It started with that, a Spring Game. Imagine if GT could do that. Colorado generated an extra $12M in revenue in FY2022 solely due to his hire between Dec and June without even playing a game. All due to merchandise exploding in volume, increased ticket sales for the 2023 season, huge uptick in donations, etc.

If we sold out Bobby Dodd, we'd have over $1M/game in additional revenue. Then there's donations, concessions, merchandise, etc. They're could all be up, where's GT crowing about all of this due to the Key hire. I get the hatred of the man, he's a brash black man attacking the status quo. I get the we're GT and we're elite smart and decided to go a different route so that other way has to be wrong. Fact of the matter is, GT went the safe route. Maybe slow and steady wins the race, but everybody knows Deion is gone as soon as his son leaves/flames out. They'll be sitting on a huge pile of cash, extraordinarily improved financial position and can be able afford a real coach, better facilities, etc. Not the case before he got there and I can't think of many hires what would have pulled that off.

They're playing to packed houses, we're arguing over if there's 27k or 29k in the stands for Syracuse or BC or oh my the pinnacle of success 30k for a conference game. Nobody's talking about how empty Colorado's stadium is on game day.

I like what we're doing, but to suggest that Colorado made a mistake or this isn't working out fantastically for them is really delusional. They could fire him tomorrow, pay him the $15M or so they now owe him and laugh all the way to the bank, but nobody in Colorado wants him gone.

The equivalent value guestimate was over $300M. I didn't mention that. The fact you can't understnd what's going on financially is frankly pretty shocking.

He turned a profit at their Spring Game. It started with that, a Spring Game. Imagine if GT could do that. Colorado generated an extra $12M in revenue in FY2022 solely due to his hire between Dec and June without even playing a game. All due to merchandise exploding in volume, increased ticket sales for the 2023 season, huge uptick in donations, etc.

If we sold out Bobby Dodd, we'd have over $1M/game in additional revenue. Then there's donations, concessions, merchandise, etc. They're could all be up, where's GT crowing about all of this due to the Key hire. I get the hatred of the man, he's a brash black man attacking the status quo. I get the we're GT and we're elite smart and decided to go a different route so that other way has to be wrong. Fact of the matter is, GT went the safe route. Maybe slow and steady wins the race, but everybody knows Deion is gone as soon as his son leaves/flames out. They'll be sitting on a huge pile of cash, extraordinarily improved financial position and can be able afford a real coach, better facilities, etc. Not the case before he got there and I can't think of many hires what would have pulled that off.

They're playing to packed houses, we're arguing over if there's 27k or 29k in the stands for Syracuse or BC or oh my the pinnacle of success 30k for a conference game. Nobody's talking about how empty Colorado's stadium is on game day.

I like what we're doing, but to suggest that Colorado made a mistake or this isn't working out fantastically for them is really delusional. They could fire him tomorrow, pay him the $15M or so they now owe him and laugh all the way to the bank, but nobody in Colorado wants him gone.

I work with a current CO student. She says that the atmosphere around gameday has changed dramatically. It went from a couple of hours around game time, to a three day affair. Businesses packed. People tailgating before and after games. Student support. Alumni support.

At a minimum, Deion has shown a generation of CO fans what the game day experience can be b

And the results on the field show one program folding like a wet blanket finishing 1-8, 4-8 after that epic win over mighty TCU (5-7), while the other went to and won a bowl game with Vegas giving an O/U of 4.5 with that “safe” hire.

You can spin it however you want, but you cannot sustain success the way Deion is running things. Bringing in a whole new OL, only to blame the OL for the failures. Demoting a solid OC, to let your son make all the decisions worked out real well didn’t it? And to top it off, the 2 elite players he signed in 2023, both have left and didn’t have a lot of good things to say on the way out. Oh and let’s not forget, Colorado had the worst 2024 HS recruiting class in the new P4.

But by all means, continue acting like what he’s doing will translate into anything more than 5-7, 6-6 seasons max in the B12. And in all reality, this will be his last year in Boulder anyway.

Back