CGC naysayers check in

We are on game 3 of year 2 of a complete rebuild. We've been in both losses in the 4th Q. People expecting 6+ wins this year are/were delusional

that's like saying closing the gap on the close losses from last year ... one of which was The Citadel.
we got outclassed by Syracuse, who f'ing sucks. the team we beat is getting its panties pulled down on national TV by Miami. The UCF team that beat us had a best recruiting class of No. 55 the last five years. (this is not a knock on our staff, for once, but I thought UCF was extraordinarily well coached on offense. the things they were able to do, without having to change personnel like it was a line change in hockey, was impressive)

It's looking more and more to me like FSU was just a really, really terrible team. Today was probably the worst QB play I've ever seen in my life at GT outside of maybe the Garner Webb game. I don't think even last year's team would play this bad, lol. And the play calling was apparently all about successfully running the ball to set up the interception rofl.

Our team is too big of a joke to keep from laughing at. CPJ in his very worst year would probably still be 2-1 at this point.

We have 12 turnovers in 3 games and so many blocked kicks I can't even count them. It's a clown show out there. We should dress in clown costumes, with big red shoes and rainbow wigs.

Actually, that's an idea. Instead of letting the D write hashtags or whatever when they get a TO, let's put any offense player who turns the ball over or launches a placekick literally into the ass of one of his own team mates in a tiny clown car, and then see how full the car gets by the end of the game. It'd be great TV.

Reggie against UGa in 2006 was the worst QB performance you’ve seen. I guarantee it.

We moved the ball pretty well in the first half this week. The D just ran out of gas trying to keep things close.

Damn y’all. This is football. You don’t have to choose between a coach who can coach or a coach who can recruit. We clearly have gone with the Dabo model. Collins is doing his part. Sims and Gibbs are great talents. We need a TE and a WR. We need the OL to grow. We need a DL. Let Collins bring in the talent.
If the coordinators can’t get the coaching done, find one who can. It is cheaper than replacing the HC.

And Collins has excelled at bringing in more alumni money. That is a critical part of the job as well. It may have been CPJ’s biggest weakness (which lead to the recruiting problems).

Damn y’all. This is football. You don’t have to choose between a coach who can coach or a coach who can recruit. We clearly have gone with the Dabo model. Collins is doing his part. Sims and Gibbs are great talents. We need a TE and a WR. We need the OL to grow. We need a DL. Let Collins bring in the talent.
If the coordinators can’t get the coaching done, find one who can. It is cheaper than replacing the HC.

And Collins has excelled at bringing in more alumni money. That is a critical part of the job as well. It may have been CPJ’s biggest weakness (which lead to the recruiting problems).
We also need a couple of speedy corners who can cover man to man. I had high expectations, and maybe Swilling is the answer, but we are a tad slow at DB. Real slow at LB. We need some Gary Guyton, Dewan Landry, Phillip Wheeler, Kenny Scott type players. Our DL needs a Michael Johnson, Derrick Morgan, Pat Swilling, Kevin Battle. We have got to upgrade in the next couple of recruiting classes. It is imperative. We have good skill players on offense and need OL

We also need a couple of speedy corners who can cover man to man. I had high expectations, and maybe Swilling is the answer, but we are a tad slow at DB. Real slow at LB. We need some Gary Guyton, Dewan Landry, Phillip Wheeler, Kenny Scott type players. Our DL needs a Michael Johnson, Derrick Morgan, Pat Swilling, Kevin Battle. We have got to upgrade in the next couple of recruiting classes. It is imperative. We have good skill players on offense and need OL

Our corners are slow for this defense. They weren’t getting blown up in Roof’s defense. We just got dinked and dunked to death. But Roof’s defense seemed to be predicated on turnovers, not on stops.

Reggie against UGa in 2006 was the worst QB performance you’ve seen. I guarantee it.

We moved the ball pretty well in the first half this week. The D just ran out of gas trying to keep things close.
Legit.

What I hated about the playcalling against cuse was late in the game, when it was obvious we were in a 4 down situation, our playcalls still looked like 3 down playcalls.

3rd and 5 and we try to pass for 5. Then 4th and 5. Why not try to get 2 or 3 on 3rd down? Then have more options on 4th.

The first 3 quarters the play calling looked ok to me. We just needed to stop punching ourselves in the dick.

What I hated about the playcalling against cuse was late in the game, when it was obvious we were in a 4 down situation, our playcalls still looked like 3 down playcalls.

3rd and 5 and we try to pass for 5. Then 4th and 5. Why not try to get 2 or 3 on 3rd down? Then have more options on 4th.

The first 3 quarters the play calling looked ok to me. We just needed to stop punching ourselves in the dick.
My only qualm with the play calling was it wasn't taking the chance of an interception into account. We were gashing them on the ground on safe plays, and then we'd drop back and throw the ball to them. If we ran the ball more, or scrambled more during pass plays, we probably have 2 fewer INTs and win.

In terms of specific play selection I actually didn't have that big of a problem. It seemed as if the offense in general pretty much worked.

Need to train the QB to tuck it and run when the throw is unwise. That should be easier than teaching him to run through 3 reads with a young OL.

One thing is for sure though. If Syracuse is going to run us out of the building, I don't see any more wins on our schedule unless we get tremendously lucky.

Look, I want us to win, regardless of who the coach is. Watching us win is a helluva lot more fun than watching us lose. And over the last 40-50 years, we've done too much of one and not nearly enough of the other.
But I have never had much confidence in CGC. Today did nothing to change that.

Welp, at least "Where Eagles Dare" is on....
Dude, he's hardly had a chance to really show if you should have confidence in him or not. Don't you realize that we had experts predict that the jackets would win 1 game last year. Say that out loud to yourself. One ööööing game. I listened to some pundit's opinions that stated turning a power 5 program back into a pro style offense from the TO would be one of the toughest projects ever taken in a rebuild. Some suggested that it would take at least three full years to see ANY results. Give the the guy a freaking second to get his bearings. Maybe lower your expectations for the second year in. Remember Vegas had us winning 2.5 games this year.

In year two we've seen glimpses of greatest to come. In year two we've seen bone headed mistakes by freshmen and some undisciplined football. We're only three games in. Let's wait a little longer until we roast CGC and if anything maybe even give him a tad of credit for bringing in some total studs the likes of Jahmyr Gibbs. The previous regime wouldn't get within a mile of a recruit like this. I remember on a local radio station's show, Chuck Oliver, hearing that we we're in the mix for the stud running back from Dalton that had Ohio State, and Florida nipping at his heels said, "Oh Tech's not getting him. They're not in the business of pulling players of his caliber." We'll guess what now we are bitch.

In terms of specific play selection I actually didn't have that big of a problem. It seemed as if the offense in general pretty much worked.
I'd like to quote myself and really drill down on this. Last year I thought Pataneude was a complete tool. This year I'm not convinced of that - I've rolled my opinion back to "generally skeptical." This thing he's trying to run does appear to sometimes work. Now we have to figure out how to quit throwing the ball to the other team, and how to quit launching kicks into the back thighs of our line. The offense does move the ball. We would probably be 3-0 if we didn't have any turnovers in game 2 or 3, maybe even if we were to lower it down to 1 turnover.

Which brings up an interesting point. If you had two identical teams, but one was a "can never get a first down ever" clownshow, and the other was a "gets first downs all day but is an interception/penalty/blocked-kick" clownshow, I think the second version of a clownshow would at least be more interesting to watch. So that's a silver lining.

Dude, he's hardly had a chance to really show if you should have confidence in him or not. Don't you realize that we had experts predict that the jackets would win 1 game last year. Say that out loud to yourself. One ööööing game. I listened to some pundit's opinions that stated turning a power 5 program back into a pro style offense from the TO would be one of the toughest projects ever taken in a rebuild. Some suggested that it would take at least three full years to see ANY results. Give the the guy a freaking second to get his bearings. Maybe lower your expectations for the second year in. Remember Vegas had us winning 2.5 games this year.

In year two we've seen glimpses of greatest to come. In year two we've seen bone headed mistakes by freshmen and some undisciplined football. We're only three games in. Let's wait a little longer until we roast CGC and if anything maybe even give him a tad of credit for bringing in some total studs the likes of Jahmyr Gibbs.

We were lucky to win the three we did last year. We were an eyelash from being 0-12. Maybe Vegas is right about this year at 2.5.
Undisciplined football is a direct result of coaching.
Collins is getting 3 and change million a year. He better have his bearings set straight already.
The most difficult aspect in changing from the triple to whatever this is is the linemen. CGC and crew need an entirely different body type and skill set along the line — even with Quinney being 6-6, DeFoor at 6-5, Charlie Clark at 6-4 and Mikey Minihan at 6-3. The skill pieces were there — Mason, Carter, Harris and Sanders all have looked good in new roles. CPJ left CGC two 4 star QBs (per rivals) in Yates and Graham, neither of whom ran the PJ offense in high school. They were shotgun and spread guys.
So other than the line, the transition is ... overblown. Besides, buried deep in a Ken Suguira story last year was something from the current coaches saying how pleasantly surprised they were at the skill level of players they inherited.
I understand a new coaching regime is going to take some time to get its imprint. But the turnovers and penalties and blown assignments reveal a lack of attention to detail somewhere. And that somewhere is happening from Sunday through Friday. And that's on Collins.
It's when we lose and look bad doing it that irritates me. Other than Virginia last year, we've looked bad doing it for the other 10 losses of Collins' short time as head coach at Tech. I still see the one guy who dictated getting any coverage whatsoever in the Georgia game last year running free down the field and even Jake Fromm being capable of finding him and hitting him for a TD. I still see a school record of punts that game. I still see Bud Foster squashing this offense in his last visit to The Flats. I still see The Citadel, a mediocre at best FCS team, celebrating wildly on Grant Field.
And I see 15 penalties and five turnovers against a really bad Syracuse team from just barely 48 hours ago.
We can have all the talent in the world, but if the coaching stinks, well, you're Florida State or Miami of the previous decade. I also could not care less what our players' pro prospects are. I invest my time and resources to see them win on Saturdays, and the occasional Thursday. Now Friday, too, thanks to Swofford.

I'd like to quote myself and really drill down on this. Last year I thought Pataneude was a complete tool. This year I'm not convinced of that - I've rolled my opinion back to "generally skeptical." This thing he's trying to run does appear to sometimes work. Now we have to figure out how to quit throwing the ball to the other team, and how to quit launching kicks into the back thighs of our line. The offense does move the ball. We would probably be 3-0 if we didn't have any turnovers in game 2 or 3, maybe even if we were to lower it down to 1 turnover.

Which brings up an interesting point. If you had two identical teams, but one was a "can never get a first down ever" clownshow, and the other was a "gets first downs all day but is an interception/penalty/blocked-kick" clownshow, I think the second version of a clownshow would at least be more interesting to watch. So that's a silver lining.

That is also how I view CDP. I have been pleasantly surprised at how we have been able to move the ball. We’ll see if it continues now that there is film.

We will also see if we can develop a QB. Or better yet, develop 2 or 3. That is really the sign of a great staff. Sure, you take a step back when the starter goes down, but it doesn’t have to be a complete reset.

We were lucky to win the three we did last year. We were an eyelash from being 0-12. Maybe Vegas is right about this year at 2.5.
Undisciplined football is a direct result of coaching.
Collins is getting 3 and change million a year. He better have his bearings set straight already.
The most difficult aspect in changing from the triple to whatever this is is the linemen. CGC and crew need an entirely different body type and skill set along the line — even with Quinney being 6-6, DeFoor at 6-5, Charlie Clark at 6-4 and Mikey Minihan at 6-3. The skill pieces were there — Mason, Carter, Harris and Sanders all have looked good in new roles. CPJ left CGC two 4 star QBs (per rivals) in Yates and Graham, neither of whom ran the PJ offense in high school. They were shotgun and spread guys.
So other than the line, the transition is ... overblown. Besides, buried deep in a Ken Suguira story last year was something from the current coaches saying how pleasantly surprised they were at the skill level of players they inherited.
I understand a new coaching regime is going to take some time to get its imprint. But the turnovers and penalties and blown assignments reveal a lack of attention to detail somewhere. And that somewhere is happening from Sunday through Friday. And that's on Collins.
It's when we lose and look bad doing it that irritates me. Other than Virginia last year, we've looked bad doing it for the other 10 losses of Collins' short time as head coach at Tech. I still see the one guy who dictated getting any coverage whatsoever in the Georgia game last year running free down the field and even Jake Fromm being capable of finding him and hitting him for a TD. I still see a school record of punts that game. I still see Bud Foster squashing this offense in his last visit to The Flats. I still see The Citadel, a mediocre at best FCS team, celebrating wildly on Grant Field.
And I see 15 penalties and five turnovers against a really bad Syracuse team from just barely 48 hours ago.
We can have all the talent in the world, but if the coaching stinks, well, you're Florida State or Miami of the previous decade. I also could not care less what our players' pro prospects are. I invest my time and resources to see them win on Saturdays, and the occasional Thursday. Now Friday, too, thanks to Swofford.

If you think our losses this year look as bad as our losses last year, you're being silly. The thing about the transition is that the basic building block of every offense is the linemen, they rest counts for little if the line is a problem. The part that seems to be getting underestimated is it isn't just that we have linemen who weren't recruited for this scheme in terms of their body types and skill sets, we have linemen who had to start over learning blocking schemes and reads and such starting spring 2019 and honestly probably had a lot to unlearn as well.

On pass
If you think our losses this year look as bad as our losses last year, you're being silly. The thing about the transition is that the basic building block of every offense is the linemen, they rest counts for little if the line is a problem. The part that seems to be getting underestimated is it isn't just that we have linemen who weren't recruited for this scheme in terms of their body types and skill sets, we have linemen who had to start over learning blocking schemes and reads and such starting spring 2019 and honestly probably had a lot to unlearn as well.
In terms of the linemen, I hope we can keep Ryan Johnson for another season since this one does not count against eligibility.

Ummmm....did you not watch the 2002 GT / UGAg game?

I did. Suggs’ longest pass equaled Ball’s entire pass yardage in 2006. Both had about -10 yards in sacks. Even Bilbo in 2002 had better numbers than Reggie in the 2002 game. 2006 was just an epically bad performance.

I'd like to quote myself and really drill down on this. Last year I thought Pataneude was a complete tool. This year I'm not convinced of that - I've rolled my opinion back to "generally skeptical."
I think he is still the complete tool. He looks different dressed in a new offensive line and QB but he still just Dave

Back