Chan rumor

texstinger

Dodd-Like
At a dinner tonite I was highly interested when 2 gentlemen in attendance were discussing GT fb. I have known one of the fellows about 23 years and know of his unquestioned loyalty and his connections. He has a private box in the West stands so he has indeed been a big $ giver. He said he was told that when the academic dismissals hit the fan CG told clough, braine & everyone with any power that he now had total control of the program or they could take the job right then and put it where the sun would never have any chance of shining. Hope what he heard is correct. Anyone heard anything of this?

If this is true, that would be music to my ears!!

If it's not true, then at least it sounds good.
smile.gif

Which would lead some to then believe, if this is accurate, (me included)that Braine has been shoving his program down Chan's throat.

I am hoping this is true. If it is, my simple brain can then rationalize the debacle of '02 and then see this as a significant event that turns the tide.

No facts, just my opinion.

This little third-hand story is not complimentary to gailey in any way... If anything it makes him sound like a limp wrist... why wasn't he in control of the program before? Someone make a pot of coffee for that guy !!

Originally posted by BeeBad:
This little third-hand story is not complimentary to gailey in any way... If anything it makes him sound like a limp wrist... why wasn't he in control of the program before? Someone make a pot of coffee for that guy !!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I disagree. Braine is coming from VT where they have had success. CG is coming from NFL. If Braine tells CG we are going to handle the "student" side of the job and let you just rely on coaching.

Where CG screwed up is the "believe but VERIFY." Even if CG wanted to be involved in the middle it was probably too late and he had to wait for the "stuff" to hit the fan.

To me all this is irrelevant. Either we will win games or not. If we don't I think we should move on.

What was Chan supposed to say when he woke up one morning with sooo much egg on his face? He is the man in charge, after all. It's about time he starts acting the part of a Div. 1 head coach.
BOO

My problem with Chan - has anyone ever heard him say he was wrong in any of this mess??? If he has, I never seen him say it or read it anywhere! Everybody makes mistakes but I have never heard him say he has and we know he did in coaching.

This is a grown man who's been around the horn - too many excuses being made for him - the fallout of everything lies at everyone's feet - him more the most - he runs this program. No coach in Div. 1 is out of the spotlight when it comes to running their program - when things are good, they get the accolades, when things are bad - they don't.

when I saw the O'Leary show that Sunday - he said he made a mistake.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">MsTech

I remember when GOL said that. I also remember that was the last mistake he ever admitted. The last year in particular it was the kids , the fans, but never his fault.

In Chan's defense (I can't even believe I am saying that), he probably feels he should not admit he was wrong when he wasn't. He obviously is a man of principle who realizes that his biggest mistake was trusting Dave Braine. He really can't come out and say that he screwed up by trusting his boss. He trusted Braine and kept O'Brien on staff. Big mistake. He trusted Braine to handle the academics of the team. Again, big mistake. I go back to the report in the AJC about Chan at the alumni club meeting and he stated that with a reporter there he could not state his true feelings on the matter. Now I may be reading too much into that, but I think Chan has wised up and told Braine where he can stick it with regards to whose football program this is. Chan is the one who gets the heat for 51-7 blowouts, so I believe he has grabbed the bull by the horns so to speak and decided to sink or swim on his own. In a public battle between Braine and Gailey, I take Coach Chan and tell Braine to get lost.

Originally posted by DaveTech:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif"> when I saw the O'Leary show that Sunday - he said he made a mistake.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">MsTech

I remember when GOL said that. I also remember that was the last mistake he ever admitted. The last year in particular it was the kids , the fans, but never his fault.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Dave: On the talk shows that year - O'Leary did take the heat on both our station 790 and 680 The fan. I myself did not hear him deflecting.

I think the last mistake O'Leary admitted was lying on his resume
smile.gif
O'Leary was a pompous arse, but he was a likable pompous arse. I think what MSTech is missing is knowing that the football program at Tech is under the full control of a man with a plan and who is taking responsibilty for it. Say what you want about O'Leary, but there was no mistaking who was running the football team. I think Chan is getting there now. I would like to hear Chan come out now and say, "Look, I learned alot last year. I was not as prepared as I should have been for college ball at this level. However, I have made the necessary adjustments and this is now my football program. You are either with us or against us. To Hell with Georgia"

MsTechAnalysis,
I feel ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaveTech,
I've been reading all your posts and I'm still trying to figure you out.

Originally posted by Patriot:
DaveTech,
I've been reading all your posts and I'm still trying to figure you out.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Patriot,
I've been reading all your posts and I have a "feeling" regarding where you stand, whatever that means.

MsTA, it was standard procedure for O'Leary to blame the players or anybody that stood within ten feet of him. Your statement about him accepting responsibility is one of the most bizarre statements I have seen on the board.

I have never criticized him for that, but it was a daily point on both boards about O'Leary blaming everyone else for the team's shortcomings.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by Patriot:
MsTechAnalysis,

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hey! This is a family board!

Originally posted by bellyseries:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Patriot:
MsTechAnalysis,

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hey! This is a family board!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yeah.. the Adams family...

Hey! This is a family board!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted by b-bad
Yeah.. the Adams family...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">no, that would be ugag

posted by ms

Dave: On the talk shows that year - O'Leary did take the heat on both our station 790 and 680 The fan. I myself did not hear him deflecting.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Neither has Coach Gailey been heard "deflecting."

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
MsTA, it was standard procedure for O'Leary to blame the players or anybody that stood within ten feet of him. Your statement about him accepting responsibility is one of the most bizarre statements I have seen on the board.

I have never criticized him for that, but it was a daily point on both boards about O'Leary blaming everyone else for the team's shortcomings.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not when I heard him - he talked about what he needed to do as the head coach. Remember I didn't talk about boards - I talked abour talk radio and even his coaches show. I heard many discussions on 790 and 680 with him as their guest. He took responsibility as the HC, now whether or not that meant changing assistants or making players changes - that's what he did. He ran the show - it falls on you, he knew that.

And the only season in his career here that he was questioned was 2001. I never heard a lot before then. Now, take it or leave it but that what I heard.

Originally posted by spellingbee:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hey! This is a family board!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted by b-bad
Yeah.. the Adams family...

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">no, that would be ugag

posted by ms

Dave: On the talk shows that year - O'Leary did take the heat on both our station 790 and 680 The fan. I myself did not hear him deflecting.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Neither has Coach Gailey been heard "deflecting."
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No, he chooses to say nothing! Even Bill Curry and Bill Lewis had answers to their whys. You may have not liked them but they did speak!

Back