Chan rumor

sorry bleedgold. I cannot support Gailey until he gives me a reason to. I support the team and hope they do well, but Gailey has shown he is not the coach we hoped for at GT. Call it bad karma, call it the worst coaching and game ever against our main rival, call it losing to a Fresno State team who had just lost 6 or 8 starters, call it a medicroe recruiting class...call it I think he stinks so far. He'll have a mediocroe record this, pull in another medicroe class, and will be be medicroe in the ACC...seems that is just peachy to many tech fans, but I'm not one of them.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
MsTA, O'Leary was out coached a lot when he did not have the Fridge around to bail him out. I believe his record was 18-20 without the Fridge, 0-4 against UGA, and 0-1 in bowls without the Fridge.

He may not have been outcoached, but he sure was inept without the Fridge.

rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It is a ridiculous to bring the Fridge up and say what O'Leary was with him and without him. What was his record with Joe Hamilton at QB? Or does he not get credit for recruiting him. He hired him, which means he did what a good head coach does, saw a weakness and fixed it. It's called running a program. Hopefully Gailey has done the samething with his staff. It is also just as crazy to say O'Leary's staff was never outcoached. They were.

Wrecked, it is only rediculous to say those things about O'Leary when Gailey is not compared to O'Leary.

When a Gailey or any other coach is compared to O'Leary's record without giving Gailey a chance to make a record, then, no, it is not rediculous to make the statements I make. It is proper.

By the way, was the Fridge here when Joe was recruited to Tech? Do you think the presence of Ralph and his offense had anything to do with Joe choosing Tech?

I really don't know, was Joe already here before Ralph, or did he come here after Ralph was hired? I do know there were a lot of players wanting to play on Ralph's offense.

wink.gif

Tommie,

I agree 1000% with you. I think GeeTee and Ms TA are w-a-a-a-y off base. They say that they can't support our coach until he "earns it." If so, I submit that they don't really understand "support." Any old Joe Schmuk out there can support you when you're winning. Look at all the wannabee Bulls fans when Jordan was there. Pathetic.

Chan is our coach. He gets my support until he's not our coach. And I hope that's when he retires after a long and successful career.

I haven't read all the posts on this topic, but Chan Gailey does take at least partial blame for some of the occurences last year. The following quote was after the Georgia game.

"It was a very poorly played game in all phases by our football team," said Tech's first-year coach, Chan Gailey. "Obviously, I didn't get these guys ready to play."

Wrecked, it is only rediculous to say those things about O'Leary when Gailey is not compared to O'Leary.

When a Gailey or any other coach is compared to O'Leary's record without giving Gailey a chance to make a record, then, no, it is not rediculous to make the statements I make. It is proper.

By the way, was the Fridge here when Joe was recruited to Tech? Do you think the presence of Ralph and his offense had anything to do with Joe choosing Tech?

I really don't know, was Joe already here before Ralph, or did he come here after Ralph was hired? I do know there were a lot of players wanting to play on Ralph's offense.

wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Joe was already here when Ralph arrived. Although noone will argue that Ralph helped Joe immensely.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
My problem with Chan - has anyone ever heard him say he was wrong in any of this mess??? If he has, I never seen him say it or read it anywhere!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">My problem with your problem, MsTA - you fail to recognize that he hasn't said that it wasn't his fault either.

i haven't seen him say or read anywhere that it wasn't his fault, that he is not to blame either.

Look, coaches get the credit and the blame. Gailey deserves some of both for last year as does O'Leary for the year before and his entire career at Tech. I support Chan because he's our coach. My attitude is that our coaches and players deserve my support until they prove unworthy of it, not that they have to earn it to start with. Just a different opinion than some have. I was not happy overall with last year, but saw some extenuating circumstances. This year will likely be tough due to the schedule and player losses but I still have expectations of any Tech team in terms of how they play and compete. We'll see what my feelings are after the season.

It's funny - I like hearing from our HC. In 2000 when Tech lost to NC State in OT there - when I saw the O'Leary show that Sunday - he said he made a mistake. That our team wore out in the 4th qtr and OT because we didn't play enough people - his fault! He said he told Friedgen and Roof that more people were going to play on both sides of the ball. He admitted his downfall, I respect that.

He said he was going to change that going forward because he knew we had enough good players (young) to back up and go in there and play and wear down the opposition - he said something about not redshirting some guys that he knew would make a difference now - he had to re-think his mistake and go forward.

That's what I'm talking about - connect with us coach! Nobody wrote and made excuses for him - he took the heat, commented and whether right or wrong about what he was going to do - he stood up and said his piece.

Oh Mommy! I really just wanted to know if anyone had heard something similar to what my acquaintance had said he was told about CG's reaction! From all the responses I have read I tend to agree with Mr or Ms Law Bee the most. It does not matter what was said, but what happens this Septmber. My only addition to the "discussion" would bee that coaching really does matter. I doubt UMd had very good recruiting years before Ralph got there and look at their record the last 2 years. Can not but help to remember we had Spurrier and hired Curry (he was a Tech man u know!) and we had Ralph and hired Lewis. Mercy please.

Originally posted by getwrecked:
Tommie,

I agree 1000% with you. I think GeeTee and Ms TA are w-a-a-a-y off base. They say that they can't support our coach until he "earns it." If so, I submit that they don't really understand "support." Any old Joe Schmuk out there can support you when you're winning. Look at all the wannabee Bulls fans when Jordan was there. Pathetic.

Chan is our coach. He gets my support until he's not our coach. And I hope that's when he retires after a long and successful career.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm glad you choose to support him - I don't, not until he shows me he can run this program, recruit, win games without mistakes/blunders, be on top of the well being of his players and get the program to where at least Coach O'Leary had it!! I never thought I'd be saying that statement - how sad this is!

I'll support him when he does all the things (I Think) he needs to do, you support which ever way YOU want - that's called freedom of choice in this country. Again, let me state - I did not come to this program because of the 'who the coach was', I came because of the school and its academics, then gravitated to the sports programs and never asked first "who are the coaches"?

From MsTA: "I will support Chan when he does something good for this program and wins on a consistent basis."

Is this the definition of a fair weathered fan or what?

Originally posted by GTechsta:
From MsTA: "I will support Chan when he does something good for this program and wins on a consistent basis."

Is this the definition of a fair weathered fan or what?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">In my 29 years of being a season tix holder and fan - fair weather is not going - I've missed 4 home games in all these years and all because of giving birth or sickness - fair weather is not caring and only being there when the going is good - I'm afraid I was one of about 20,000 in the stands for many a year. Are you a fair weather fan, is that why you asked?

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
I've missed 4 home games in all these years and all because of giving birth ...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Pretty lame, MsTech. You could have stretched out in the aisle...

Originally posted by bellyseries:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
I've missed 4 home games in all these years and all because of giving birth ...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Pretty lame, MsTech. You could have stretched out in the aisle...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're right but unfortunately it would have not pretty site and I was forced to stay home - I was not happy!

MsTA, Gailey has the program exactly where O'Leary left it, and only in one year.

O'Leary left it 7-5 and Gailey has it at 7-6 in only his first year. If Gailey has an 8-4 or 8-5 year, his prgram will be above the mark that O'Leary left the program.

So, again your statements are contradictory.

rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">AHHHHH - THE O'LEARY DAYS, Thanks for bring him up once again - I SMILED TODAY AND YOU DID IT!

Well, I think I'll side with the money people on this one - they didn't see that same scenario you conjur up - they wanted him gone during the year and after the season! Those rose colored glass are only good when there's something good too look at. I'm afraid your 8 win dream is just that.

I use to dream those dreams during the Lewis era as well! As I've gotten older - more realism comes into play!

I have to agree with NCJacket, and for the most part Aho on this one. O'leary did indeed throw some blame off on others.

His attributes took us a long way - discipline and can-do attitude. His shortcomings also hurt us - the early years a fundamentally weak defense, save for the year Edsall was here, as well as some boneheads like the kicking out of bounds vs. UGA. All in all, an even mix.

Gailey is our coach and we should support him. I do think he has been completely overwhelmed with the learning curve of the college game. As facts have come out in a variety of areas I believe the root of the problem is Braine. Gailey is not saddled with O'Brien anymore, and has apparently gotten pissed off enough to take full control, which is all I can ask for at this point.

I think all the comparison with O'leary will be going on for some time since he was our last coach - but it is time to move on.

MsTA, I am just disappointed to hear you say you will only support Coach Gailey "when he starts winning consistantly." I would think a Tech fan would support the program win or lose. I would think Coach Gailey would want your support NOW! As for me, I am not a fair weather fan. To throw out statistics, I have missed 2 home games in 23 years. But I support the team, the coach, the players win or lose.

Back