Chan rumor

Originally posted by FAN OF BOBBY DODD:
MTA I'm interested in what Chan said before he coached a game that ticked you off.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">He was not interested in going to a rebuilding program because he didn't want to fix anyone's mess. That will not get you my vote. As an HR Manager, I wouldn't want a perspective employee making that comment to me, it would be a big factor as to why you may not be hired and in my case, would probably the reason why I don't hire you.

This one really bothered me because it says a lot to me about working hard - making things happen in a bad or good situation. Anyone can take over an existing good program or job, what about the ones that need good people who can come in and make things happen under adverse circumstances. Does that mean when things are rough you can't handle it? Does it mean you can't do your best work under any circumstance?

What happens if your team goes in the tank during your tenure here - does that me you don't want to work hard to get it out of the tank? If you don't want to fix someone else's mess, what if you make one?????

He wanted to go to a Top 25 team. That said to me, let all the people before me do all the work and all I want to do is "try" to maintain and go from there. There's a work ethic question here for me and it bothered/bothers the heck out of me.

I am in the business of making decisions about people I hire for my company. There are so many things that go into finding the right people other then having the experience for a particular position and seeing a great resume or great references. When is someone going to write the name of reference that isn't good - never.

There's lots of intangibles outside of your work experience and references and you hope that when you put it all together that you, the hiring manager, did your job in identifying any weaknesses in who you may bring in. I found those statements showed me weaknesses that I would rather not deal with.

He then proceeded to get into the season. Here's the "work ethic" vibe I got before he coached a game. At the halftime of the Maryland game - the announcers were speaking of the interview they had with him before the game. He said things like he didn't realize all the work that was involved in coaching Div. 1 football away from the on field product. NCAA rules, academics, lunches on the road. Light bulb went off again ... accepting any job especially when you're making that kind of money and this job or any job, should have made you aware before you took it to do your homework about the job! You came from the NFL into a new environment, how smart were you not to cover the bases, maybe had you known these things you would not have taken it.

Maybe, this is not what you really wanted. Where's the administration and organization of your own life? If you don't have it for yourself, how do you have it to run GT's football program.

Then there's the season.

Back