Chan rumor

MsTA.. I see you've got the Chan Gang all worked up into a lather..

"That's the sound of the man.. workin' on the Chan.. Gangggg"...

Isn't it predictable how a program on the decline can stir such in-fighting among loyal fans. Before Ahso or belly argue about the decline just why would Braine not read his e-mail if he was receiving so many compliments for being on the upswing.

Braine fishing for fans' support

Originally posted by BeeBad:
MsTA.. I see you've got the Chan Gang all worked up into a lather..

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yeah - but there are many more who don't come to this board that feel this way, if they only knew!

Originally posted by DaveTech:
Isn't it predictable how a program on the decline can stir such in-fighting among loyal fans. Before Ahso or belly argue about the decline just why would Braine not read his e-mail if he was receiving so many compliments for being on the upswing.

Well said!

Braine fishing for fans' support
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Very true, MsTA.. Very very true...

WhyLowH8... after gailey takes this storied program further down the tubes all you chanbangers will change your nics & reinvent yourselves... I figure the nic ylojk8 has a shelf life of 120 more days max...

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Very true, MsTA.. Very very true...

WhyLowH8... after gailey takes this storied program further down the tubes all you chanbangers will change your nics & reinvent yourselves... I figure the nic ylojk8 has a shelf life of 120 more days max...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Incredible! Totally wrong AGAIN!!

i feel really good about nick moore playing LB now. did you see the hit he lay on wannabee? MAN!

it was like ... KAAAA POW!

wannabee is still picking up parts of himself from the dirt. it's hard to distinguish the pieces from the natural surroundings though.

Nick Moore is my favorite player now...

grin.gif

BeeBad:

"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact."
- George Eliot (1819-1880)

Dave Tech, why don't you deal in facts instead of opinions. Opinions are useless because they are only for amusement and carry no more weight than any other opinion.

Fact, the program crashed and the wheels came off under O'Leary in his last year (7-5). By the way, that was the first year he was on his own without Ralph.

O'Leary was 11-14 in his first 2 1/3 years with an 0-3 record against UGA and no bowl games.

Gailey was 7-6, very close to the O'Leary's 7-5 crash in his last year. Gailey's 7-6 record and a bowl game in his first year is much better than O'Leary's first 2 1/2 years.

So, much for opinions, let the facts speak for themselves. Under Gailey's first year, one more loss than O'Leary's last year could hardly be called a decline. A better year in Gailey's first year, better than the first 2 1/2 years of O'Leary's 11-14 record, cannot be called a decline.

Facts, the decline started the year after Ralph left. It started with O'Leary's 7-5 record in 2001.

Now, lets talk facts instead of opinions.

By the way, the football decline in O'Leary's last year had nothing to do with Braine.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

GSU - You put other Tech fans into "fans like you" - in this day and time when we need to get all we can in the stands you're trying to turn me against the program because of what "you" think I should be and it concerns a coach who's only been here ONE YEAR?? I would NEVER TELL YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD BE and I have never dissed on a Chan supporter - so stop the madness because that's really turning some of the faithful off!

This is a "free" country to feel and to do as you please - now you're sounding communistic, because if you don't think like me, you're not one of us????? How sad is that? Keep that kind of thing coming and I'd question your loyalties! A real fan does not want to get rid of those who have supported the program for 29 years, we have family members who played for Tech, so I guess you're way off base here!

Do you want Tech fans to be in a little "niche" so that you can all BE ALIKE - no the world is not that way, and thank God for it! Are you going to feel that way about the big $$$ supporters to who wanted Chan out after the season ended - are they in your same category as well?

Perception is reality and mine is - Chan has to earn my support just like all the previous coaches that came before him!

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
GSU - You put other Tech fans into "fans like you" - in this day and time when we need to get all we can in the stands you're trying to turn me against the program because of what "you" think I should be and it concerns a coach who's only been here ONE YEAR?? I would NEVER TELL YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD BE and I have never dissed on a Chan supporter - so stop the madness because that's really turning some of the faithful off!

This is a "free" country to feel and to do as you please - now you're sounding communistic, because if you don't think like me, you're not one of us????? How sad is that? Keep that kind of thing coming and I'd question your loyalties! A real fan does not want to get rid of those who have supported the program for 29 years, we have family members who played for Tech, so I guess you're way off base here!

Do you want Tech fans to be in a little "niche" so that you can all BE ALIKE - no the world is not that way, and thank God for it! Are you going to feel that way about the big $$$ supporters to who wanted Chan out after the season ended - are they in your same category as well?

Perception is reality and mine is - Chan has to earn my support just like all the previous coaches that came before him!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">All I am saying is that you cannot claim to support something & withhold your support at the same time.!
That is like those idiots who say “I’m opposed to the war but I support our troops” What does that mean!
I’m not saying you have to think like me…that is not the definition of communism by the way… what economics class did you take?

So if you have big $$$ you’re a true tech fan? Chan is who we have like it or not. He will either succeed or he will fail. Right now it does not look to good. He may very well be out by the end of this year. If he can’t turn the ship around maybe he should be. However if we changed coaches today we would have a worse year this year than if we kept the coach for one more season. At what point to you stop withholding your support and start supporting Tech. 8 wins, 9, 10, 11 or is the MNC the only thing that will cause you to support Tech.

Not supporting Tech just because we are going through some hard times is the definition of a fare weather fan like it or not, and it does not matter how much money you have, or how many of your relatives played for Tech.

Credit given where credit is due.
Ms Tech has a valid argument as being a GT supporter but not a coach supporter. Agreed, the coach MUST earn the respect of the players and the fans, however I think we may need to give a bit of cushion in this case. I would like to see the GT fans support Coach Gailey as he gets HIS SYSTEM in place with HIS COACHING STAFF, that he works with and a FAIRLY HEALTHY TEAM of players. Given the conditions handed him last season, I'm not ready to throw him out. I still say we need to allow at least three years for any coach to show his stuff, unless we were to have a coach that had problems such as our next door neighbor ALA. We have a good man and a good coach in Chan Gailey, but I do agree with MS Tech, he will have to prove his salt to get the respect of all concerned. The best way to do it is to win ball games and unfortunately, I don't see that happening here right away but, I do see it coming in the near future though. So much for my crystal ball.
I replied to this string earlier with the question, "what was the coaches reply" in reference to the question fielded by the heavy contributor who stated that he heard that Chan Gailey made a rather uncharacteristic statement to the powers that be after the academic disaster. Either I have overlooked the reply or it hasn't been answered. Forgive if I have overlooked. BUT, does anyone know what his reply was? Thank you.

Romegajacket, I, too, think each person has the right to like or dislike a coach for any reason he so desires.

It should have nothing to do with being a Tech fan. I also agree on this statement. It appears, you and I are on the same wave length here.

My "only" concern about the lynch mob mentality, exhibited in the recent past by a small sector of the fan base, is its detriment to Tech football in particular.

Your statement, that Gailey or any other coach deserves the same chance as past coaches to prove or disprove his worth, is the sane approach.

Most fans realize we need this year, and the possibility of another year, to see the real truth regarding Gailey's abilities or potential at Tech.

It is extremely wrong for a certain group to attempt to run him off without a fair chance, because they do not like him for personal reasons. Now, I grant them the right to dislike him, but not to lynch him without a fair trial.

I have tried to analyze the situation and determine the main reason a small base of fans have been anti-Gailey from the day he was hired.

At first, I thought it was a backlash from those wanting Mac as head coach. I still think this is part of their reason, and it may involve Mac to a degree, I think the reason is deeper than Mac as a coach.

I think there is a personal, shared reason a small segment of the fan base has never accepted Gailey. I think it has nothing to do with his ability or lack of ability to coach.

I think it is a characteristic of the man that the group does not like. I think his traits conflict dramatically with the traits of the core group who dislike him.

Looking back over archived posts, most of these posters did not like him when he was hired.

One last caveat, there are always a certain amount of mislead followers who are swept along with any given movement. I feel sure that has happened in the "lynch Gailey" movement.

Those swept along with the tide normally return to sanity after they see real issues unfold.

Will I call for Gailey to be removed if it appears he cannot handle the job. Of that, there is no doubt.

My stated philosophy on the board has always been, "the most important ingredient of any sports team is the ability of the coach and not the talent".

Give me a great coach and average talent. You take the great talent and average coach, and I will consistently beat you.

So, if it appears Gailey can not get the job done, there is no doubt about my position as to his future at Tech.

Selah

drinking.gif

Folks let me say this about MSTA. She is a Tech supporter and a O'Liar supporter. I have talked with her personally at games when we tail gated together. I like her very much as a person. But to this day I do not understand how she can be an O'Liar supporter but do understand her assumptions that O'Liar is great. She is correct that O'Liar did bring us back from the brink of desctruction after the Bull Sh-- Lewis fiasco. I do find it hard to figure you can wish the team well and the coach to do poorly. We will never bring O'Liar back as he left of his own accord and still owes Tech big time bucks. So MSTA as much as I like you please wish CCG well for if he's does well then the team does well.

Ok, Chan got outcoached in both of the last two. But remember this, we led by 6 with just seconds remaining before the half in San Jose. Suggs throws a pass in no vicinity toward a white shirt, right into the arms of a red jersey DB. A coach cannot fathom that a college level QB would throe a pass like that. Sure, before the play, you tell the QB "A.J., if it's not there throw it 10 rows up in the stands".

Again, with injuries plaguing the entire season(countless #'s)and for a first year regime if you will under Chan, not bad all things considered. I still say that no matter who the coach is, whether it be Lewis, Gailey, or whomever, we must support him and hope that he can do what it takes to win. Take Lewis for instance. While he is still the coach, hope he can turn it around. Once he's gone, it's the best for the program. Take O'Leary. While he's there, support him. When he leaves for South Bend, forget him. He is not the coach of the program any longer. My concern is with the program, and at that time, I support the man at the helm. When that man is no longer in charge, pull for him to do well elsewhere, but get over him. O'Leary was a good coach, I don't think anyone can dispute that. Chan's record at Dallas was good. I know we are disputing opinion vs. fact on this board, but IMO, Chan did well enough in his first season not to be on the hotseat until he has a losing record. I know I criticise Chan alot, but that doesn't mean I want him to be fired. Although I don't agree with some of his calls and tactics, he is the head coach at GT, and I support Chan Gailey.

None of us have any call on personnel anyway. I know most of us disagree with alot of things Chan has done in his brief stint here, but those of you wanting him to be fired, do you want to have a losing season? One big reason I want Chan to be here a long time is if he stays put a long time, then he must be winning and we must be putting up good numbers and going to the postseason. Now also, I know alot of you have problems with Braine and Clough, and not Gailey. I think Braine has made some good hires(Chan, Paul Hewitt, Machelle Joseph). If it were up to me, which of course it is not, we should give Braine and CG the benefit of the doubt for this year and after this season, call for their heads if the wheels come off. IMO, we should just let it play itself out.

GTFan, as I recall the first game BL coached was against Western Carolina, Tech finally won after WC had given us a scare. I told my friend who had gone to the game with me that I would fire BL the moment the game was over. I wanted Tech to win but without BL. I honestly thought after seeing that game that a typical fan with just a little football knowledge could have prepared the team better. So I can understand dislikeing a coach but wanting the team to prosper.

OF: We can differ but we are all supporters of GT and look forward to getting together again! I just have a real problem with Chan. Chan has got to get me on his side and last season in no way shape or form did that happen. The x's and o's part of his game was not there for me. Again, there were statements made by Chan before he coached a down here that I did not like as well. But he's the guy we hired, now show me what you can do.

The leadership of this program was not there for me - all facets and I can't accept someone taking a job that pays $900k/yr and not having this - I don't care who the AD is and what the AD changed. You have to have a strong personality to work this job. His personality for this college game does not suit me. Bill Curry was a nice guy but didn't think he had it either and he's a Tech man! Still went to all his games and cheered for the team, I love football - it's that easy to do. I only stayed with Tech because this school represents my thinking academically. I enjoy cheering for a school that academics is held in such high regard, I came from that!

Time will tell here - and for this school's sake, not Chan, I truly hope he succeeds because if he does Tech does! And anyone who says 'there's a lynch mob here' is wrong. Coaches are in the limelight at this level and they are going to get applauded by the fans/media or chastised if what they see is not good. That is sports period.

Back