Charles Kelly to FSU as Linebackers Coach

While I think we should have given Kelly the DC position because he has familiarity with the players and coaches and seemed to bring improvement, BOR is smoking crack. How the hell is success at lower level schools and a few good games "a proven commodity"? BYU, UNC, and UGA beat the crap out of his defense. I know he didn't have much of a chance at that point, but still it would have been a gamble to hire him. Maybe a good one.

2 of those 3 teams also beat the crap out of our offense. But...Paul didn't fire the OC...odd.

While I think we should have given Kelly the DC position because he has familiarity with the players and coaches and seemed to bring improvement, BOR is smoking crack. How the hell is success at lower level schools and a few good games "a proven commodity"? BYU, UNC, and UGA beat the crap out of his defense. I know he didn't have much of a chance at that point, but still it would have been a gamble to hire him. Maybe a good one.

BOR is replying to GT1992 constant slight of everything CCK did. Saban couldn't even turn that öööö of a D into sugar in a week

He's a proven commodity because he has been at GT for seven years and first did absolute wonders with previously crap special teams, was our best recruiter over that period spanning two coaches, actually will have recruited and coached GTs only defensive backfield talent to make an NFL squad in over ten years, and took over a dumpster fire and righted it relatively quickly. Then you look at him having similar great successes of building squads at lower level teams, and you realize because he's been at Tech and he knows GT so well, he's obviously a proven commodity. Sometimes proven commodities come from the lower ranks. They just don't have the same title elsewhere at similar schools.

You guys are like the mid management types that don't understand how some younger guy laps you on the office hierarchy chart.

Do you have some inside information to share? or is this just a gut feeling?

Know it for a fact. Coach Kelly was told we were going outside the program for the DC job. He had this offer from FSU and told CPJ he was leaving.

Lots of rumblings of disharmony on this coaching staff as well. When I read Coach Groh's comments this past week, I wrote them off as just an unhappy camper. But I was told today by someone who absolutely would know these exact words "CPJ has lost this coaching staff".

Going to be interesting to see how things work out this next year with CPJ.

Well, I do agree it would have been a gamble, but less of one than bringing in an assistant from another school that doesn't have the difficulties in recruiting we do. So, I think it was the lesser gamble, but yes, any DC hire will be a gamble, at least any DC hire we can afford.....that is just the way it is guys.

And that's why we're looking at guys like Lance Thompson. While you may agree with BOR, Kelly certainly isn't a proven commodity, which is his assertion and if you disagree with him, you're stupid ööööing jackass because he's seen a game and a half.

It sounds like to me CCK may not have accepted even if offered.

Who really knows though.

Best wishes for him either way.

This. Not slot of DC candidates that want to work for an offensive coordinator..go figure.

Know it for a fact. Coach Kelly was told we were going outside the program for the DC job. He had this offer from FSU and told CPJ he was leaving.

Lots of rumblings of disharmony on this coaching staff as well. When I read Coach Groh's comments this past week, I wrote them off as just an unhappy camper. But I was told today by someone who absolutely would know these exact words "CPJ has lost this coaching staff".

This is not good to hear. It will be very difficult to keep all of our recruits if there is even a modicum of truth to this, and there is probably much more truth to it than that.

He's a proven commodity because he has been at GT for seven years and first did absolute wonders with previously crap special teams, was our best recruiter over that period spanning two coaches, actually will have recruited and coached GTs only defensive backfield talent to make an NFL squad in over ten years, and took over a dumpster fire and righted it relatively quickly. Then you look at him having similar great successes of building squads at lower level teams, and you realize because he's been at Tech and he knows GT so well, he's obviously a proven commodity. Sometimes proven commodities come from the lower ranks. They just don't have the same title elsewhere at similar schools.

You guys are like the mid management types that don't understand how some younger guy laps you on the office hierarchy chart.

Soooooo hes proven in a bunch of things other than defensive coordinator at a BCS level program?

What a dumbass post. To be proven, you have to do it at the same level. Proven commodities aren't potential, they have succeeded at that level. Go buy a dictionary because your understanding of the English language is lacking. If you tried to argue that he had potential, I might even agree with you, but to argue that he was proven is just plain stupid.

That's horseshit. Your second sentence isn't what is being reported from people who spoke behind the scenes with Kelly and Johnson themselves. Coaches don't lose coaching staffs and then smoke a bowlgame like that and show more heart during a loss against FSU than any win all season. And losing this staff isn't a bad thing. Lots of them need to GTFO. But I would agree that it is disheartening to see a defection like CCK.

This is not good to hear. It will be very difficult to keep all of our recruits if there is even a modicum of truth to this, and there is probably much more truth to it than that.

To make my post more clear, I don't think the situation is as bad as Groh made it out to be. But from what I was told this afternoon, things are certainly not rosy.

And that's why we're looking at guys like Lance Thompson. While you may agree with BOR, Kelly certainly isn't a proven commodity, which is his assertion and if you disagree with him, you're stupid ööööing jackass because he's seen a game and a half.

Were not looking at Lance Thompson as being reported by PJ himself this afternoon. Source Quinlan. If your gonna post öööö, make ure you know what your talking about. Again, you don't.

That's horseshit. Your second sentence isn't what is being reported from people who spoke behind the scenes with Kelly and Johnson themselves. Coaches don't lose coaching staffs and then smoke a bowlgame like that and show more heart during a loss against FSU than any win all season. And losing this staff isn't a bad thing. Lots of them need to GTFO. But I would agree that it is disheartening to see a defection like CCK.

LOL...ok, you're right. But the people who spoke to "Kelly and Johnson behind the scenes" pulled off quite a öööö feat. Truth is, the person who spoke to me is the exact same person who spoke to Kelly Quinlan.

I've told you what I was told. You believe what you want to believe. I won't lose a moment's sleep giving a öööö what your dumb ass thinks.

This may be a blessing in disguise. This gives CPJ the perfect opportunity to hit the reset button on the defensive staff.

Soooooo hes proven in a bunch of things other than defensive coordinator at a BCS level program?

Again, enjoy that mid management job. I understand it has great benefits and if you're lucky, maybe one of the partners will award you a country club membership for tenure.

This may be a blessing in disguise. This gives CPJ the perfect opportunity to hit the reset button on the defensive staff.

As long as it doesn't run off any of the few recruits we have.......

I have got to believe we will lose at least 1 or 2, just because of CCK's departure. Hope I am wrong.

LOL...ok, you're right. But the people who spoke to "Kelly and Johnson behind the scenes" pulled off quite a öööö feat. Truth is, the person who spoke to me is the exact same person who spoke to Kelly Quinlan.

I've told you what I was told. You believe what you want to believe. I won't lose a moment's sleep giving a öööö what your dumb ass thinks.

I'm reading between the lines just like you, I'm just not adding a bunch of conjecture to the information that common sense would say is a bunch of horseshit.

Were not looking at Lance Thompson as being reported by PJ himself this afternoon. Source Quinlan. If your gonna post öööö, make ure you know what your talking about. Again, you don't.

We were looking at Lance Thompson and the exact comment is guys like Lance Thompson, which would mean ones with DC experience, an understanding of Tech, and a recruiting background. But just pick and choose the words you wish to read.

To make my post more clear, I don't think the situation is as bad as Groh made it out to be. But from what I was told this afternoon, things are certainly not rosy.
Given our disappointing seasons last 3 years, it's only expected things are not rosy among those responsible for those seasons.

Back