Chip Long Interview

Yeah, you don't like hearing it but the truth is the truth. Collins may not be winning worth a damn but he's recruiting well. Like I said, if/when he leaves GT, at least the next guy will inherit some talent. Collins didn't.

Sorry that hurts your feelings but to quote your guy, "It is what it is".
This recruiting class didn't end up being a good one with all the defections and no replacements. We should never sign less than 20.

Recruiting well for other schools to poach our best players. 4 stars don’t look good on 3 win teams and if you think they’ll stick around after Collins is gone then I don’t know what to tell you.

Wha GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Seriously. Go take a walk. Step away from the keyboard for a while.

None of us are happy with 3 win seasons. But the dude is our coach for at least the beginning of the season. Some of you whine more than little girls.

Wha GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Seriously. Go take a walk. Step away from the keyboard for a while.

None of us are happy with 3 win seasons. But the dude is our coach for at least the beginning of the season. Some of you whine more than little girls.
You’re the one spouting about “improved recruiting” when this class fell off dramatically at the end.

You’re the one spouting about “improved recruiting” when this class fell off dramatically at the end.
We signed TWO 4 star defensive tackles in the same class for the first time in the history of the school.
A 4-star QB (Rivals), a 4-star RB (247), a 4-star safety (247), a 4-star OL (Rivals).

Then in the transfer portal we picked up 2 4-star OL and a 4-star safety. The rest of our signees are all 3 stars with 1 exception (and a lot of them are very high 3 stars....like 5.6 and 5.7's...and for reference, a 5.8 is a 4-star).

Holy hell. To paraphrase one of your stupid comments, "if you cannot see that as improvement in recruiting, then I don't know what to tell you".

We signed TWO 4 star defensive tackles in the same class for the first time in the history of the school.
A 4-star QB (Rivals), a 4-star RB (247), a 4-star safety (247), a 4-star OL (Rivals).

Then in the transfer portal we picked up 2 4-star OL and a 4-star safety. The rest of our signees are all 3 stars with 1 exception (and a lot of them are very high 3 stars....like 5.6 and 5.7's...and for reference, a 5.8 is a 4-star).

Holy hell. To paraphrase one of your stupid comments, "if you cannot see that as improvement in recruiting, then I don't know what to tell you".
We’ve heard that same crap for over three years now, the talent is better but the coaching is light years worse. How many of the transfers have done anything on the field? Hall and Gibson have done some nice things but the rest are projects, very talented projects, but projects nonetheless. Contrast that to Ivey, arguably our best defensive player. and Gibbs by far our best offensive player, leaving. The whole “well recruiting is better” is a hollow argument when the most impactful players leave and the record is dramatically worse than what we’ve seen in the last 40 years.

We’ve heard that same crap for over three years now, the talent is better but the coaching is light years worse. How many of the transfers have done anything on the field? Hall and Gibson have done some nice things but the rest are projects, very talented projects, but projects nonetheless. Contrast that to Ivey, arguably our best defensive player. and Gibbs by far our best offensive player, leaving. The whole “well recruiting is better” is a hollow argument when the most impactful players leave and the record is dramatically worse than what we’ve seen in the last 40 years.
LOL. Move the goalposts much?
First you took issue with the statement we weren't recruiting better. Now when I showed you that you were wrong, you shifted to something else.

Dwags could probably use some more fans on their bandwagon. Go hang out with them so you can brag about how you scored 5 TDs in a high school football game once or some such other nonsense.

LOL. Move the goalposts much?
First you took issue with the statement we weren't recruiting better. Now when I showed you that you were wrong, you shifted to something else.

Dwags could probably use some more fans on their bandwagon. Go hang out with them so you can brag about how you scored 5 TDs in a high school football game once or some such other nonsense.
If you can ööööing read I said we have more talent than Johnson ever had outside of his first two years but no way of taking advantage of it because of coaching. The recruiting rankings have been trending downward and we lost our best recruiting coach and administrator. The problem is once we move on from Collins it’ll take a huge effort to fend off a mass exodus to the portal.

If you can ööööing read I said we have more talent than Johnson ever had outside of his first two years but no way of taking advantage of it because of coaching. The recruiting rankings have been trending downward and we lost our best recruiting coach and administrator. The problem is once we move on from Collins it’ll take a huge effort to fend off a mass exodus to the portal.
I've never once said that the coaching has been up to par. Merely that the recruiting is better.
As far as the recruiting trending downward, unless we stop using the transfer portal or the ranking services quit basing their rankings on a minimum class of 20, I doubt much is going to change for at least another year or two.

In a situation like Collins finds himself in now, he's pretty much an idiot if he doesn't go hard after transfers because they offer a higher possibility of immediate playing ability. And he knows he has to win next year or he's out the door.

FWIW, Kelly Quinlan has said the same thing and that the portal is affecting a lot of school's rankings similarly. He has even wondered if they (Rivals) will end up altering their rankings formulae accordingly.

Allow me to sum up your statements in 4 words/images or less.

:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:
Big criers love those stickers and are almost the only ones that use them. It’s quite ironic. But it’s your only response to the obvious truth that CGC is the worst coach in Tech history.

Big criers love those stickers and are almost the only ones that use them. It’s quite ironic. But it’s your only response to the obvious truth that CGC is the worst coach in Tech history.
LOL. You started drinking early for the weekend, did ya?

Find me one post where I defended Collins' coaching. ONE. Dude has produced TERRIBLE results. But I'm also not so blind as to realize that the guy is improving the talent level of the players we have on the flats. You can't see that because you've hated him since the day he was hired. I've heard you saying it with my own ears at StingTalk tailgates.

Regardless, one thing the guy has done is prove that it is possible to recruit higher level talent to GT AND keep them academically eligible, unlike what you, me and everyone else has said for decades. I was part of that too. I always made the excuse that "Tech is different; we can't recruit the same people and keep them eligible." Turns out...yeah, we can. We were just making frigging excuses.

Whether it was Collins or anyone else, we needed someone who can recruit so that we could get bigger, stronger, faster players on The Flats. We're getting em now and that's a good thing. Either Collins and his staff will produce with them and win...or they'll be shown the door. But I will reiterate once again that whoever is coaching GT Football in 2023 will have one hell of a lot more talent to start with than Geoff Collins inherited from Paul Johnson. If that makes you mad, so be it. But it's the truth.

LOL. You started drinking early for the weekend, did ya?

Find me one post where I defended Collins' coaching. ONE. Dude has produced TERRIBLE results. But I'm also not so blind as to realize that the guy is improving the talent level of the players we have on the flats. You can't see that because you've hated him since the day he was hired. I've heard you saying it with my own ears at StingTalk tailgates.

Regardless, one thing the guy has done is prove that it is possible to recruit higher level talent to GT AND keep them academically eligible, unlike what you, me and everyone else has said for decades. I was part of that too. I always made the excuse that "Tech is different; we can't recruit the same people and keep them eligible." Turns out...yeah, we can. We were just making frigging excuses.

Whether it was Collins or anyone else, we needed someone who can recruit so that we could get bigger, stronger, faster players on The Flats. We're getting em now and that's a good thing. Either Collins and his staff will produce with them and win...or they'll be shown the door. But I will reiterate once again that whoever is coaching GT Football in 2023 will have one hell of a lot more talent to start with than Geoff Collins inherited from Paul Johnson. If that makes you mad, so be it. But it's the truth.
Your assertion isn’t apparent in on field results. It’s obvious CGC can’t coach. It’s not obvious on the field that the talent is appreciably better right now. It’s possible, and possibly just not apparent because of such crap coaching. If so, all the more reason to fire him yesterday and get a damn coach in that can make actual use of that talent.

Your assertion isn’t apparent in on field results. It’s obvious CGC can’t coach. It’s not obvious on the field that the talent is appreciably better right now. It’s possible, and possibly just not apparent because of such crap coaching. If so, all the more reason to fire him yesterday and get a damn coach in that can make actual use of that talent.
Good Lord. So we have a $200 million albatross of stadium debt over our heads and we should just go ahead and add an additional $17 million of debt for the buyout of his contract? At least if they wait until after this year, the buyout becomes much more manageable.

Good Lord. So we have a $200 million albatross of stadium debt over our heads and we should just go ahead and add an additional $17 million of debt for the buyout of his contract? At least if they wait until after this year, the buyout becomes much more manageable.
I’m sorry you can’t recognize a little hyperbole or actually think we have a time machine to fire Collins yesterday. Yes I’d have fired him before the end of last year and eaten that money. That ship has sailed.

Going forward, start looking for his replacement now (only possible without idiot Tstan at the helm of this debacle). As soon as his replacement is identified and a change is viable go ahead and pull the trigger and get things moving. If Tstan had half a brain he would have utilized the search for an OC / DC in order to search for our next HC on the down low. But Tstan is dumb. Every delay just guarantees more losing seasons ahead.

I’m sorry you can’t recognize a little hyperbole or actually think we have a time machine to fire Collins yesterday. Yes I’d have fired him before the end of last year and eaten that money. That ship has sailed.

Going forward, start looking for his replacement now (only possible without idiot Tstan at the helm of this debacle). As soon as his replacement is identified and a change is viable go ahead and pull the trigger and get things moving. If Tstan had half a brain he would have utilized the search for an OC / DC in order to search for our next HC on the down low. But Tstan is dumb. Every delay just guarantees more losing seasons ahead.
What makes you think TStan isn't doing just what you are suggesting? Do you think you would know!?

What makes you think TStan isn't doing just what you are suggesting? Do you think you would know!?
Well, retaining the previous DC narrows those options from 2 to 1. How likely is it that we were truly looking at the offensive coordinator of Tulane as our next head coach?

In terms of Stansbury looking for a different replacement, indeed we don't have much way of knowing it.

Back