Chip Long Interview

True story: Chip Long wanted to play professional golf but couldn't stop hitting the ball past the hole.
oh-no-you-didnt-shenanah.gif

I have this theory that Tech does better with coaches who are pricks if not full assholes. O’Leary and Johnson fit this mold. Both were pricks on a regular day and an asshole if cornered. Tenuta was an asshole and did well here too. For some reason the football players we have tend to respond to this over rainbows and sunshine type coaching. So I’m good with this coordinator change at least based on this.

Also - Key’s natural disposition seems to fall on the prick/asshole spectrum so maybe this will be a positive change for him which allows him to be himself and reach his full coaching potential.

CGO and CBK are not assholes…they’re hard-asses that know their stuff and don’t play the ego stroking game but support their players who work hard for them. Good players appreciate this approach.

I didn’t listen and won’t. The only thing matters are results. No knock on Long as he may end up being the greatest hire of all time. But I’m way past words from anyone associated with the program. I hope we go undefeated and Collins is coach of the year, but I‘m not listening to anything until the post game presser at MBS.
Go öööö yourself.

Your comprehensive skills aren’t that good are they? All I said was I’m not listening to any more words from anyone on this staff. I don’t care if they are new staff or old staff. We’ve spent 3 years listening to words with ZERO results. I’m done with all of it except the final score. That’s the only measuring stick. We are in year 4 and yet you guys are still act like naive teenagers. And for posterity’s sake you can put me in any category you want because it doesn’t matter. This is a freaking message board but if you want to keep a checklist then so be it. Maybe tomorrow I’ll break down how we’ll be undefeated next season.
You’re a complete ööööing moron. Go find somewhere else to hang out.

CGO and CBK are not assholes…they’re hard-asses that know their stuff and don’t play the ego stroking game but support their players who work hard for them. Good players appreciate this approach.
O’Leary was a hard ass, but also an asshole. Between the Vaitekunas deal, the whole resume “puffing” and that UCF player that died, I’m not sure how you could think otherwise.

Key doesn’t strike me as either an asshole or a hard ass. Key might be great coaching a bushel full of 5 star OLs, but he doesn’t seem to be able to coach players that aren’t physically superior to the opposition. Hell, he’s not done much with his high profile transfers either. Between that and bashing GT when he wasn’t here & stuff like this below. My guess is he’s just a run of the mill prick that failed up.

O’Leary was a hard ass, but also an asshole. Between the Vaitekunas deal, the whole resume “puffing” and that UCF player that died, I’m not sure how you could think otherwise.

Key doesn’t strike me as either an asshole or a hard ass. Key might be great coaching a bushel full of 5 star OLs, but he doesn’t seem to be able to coach players that aren’t physically superior to the opposition. Hell, he’s not done much with his high profile transfers either. Between that and bashing GT when he wasn’t here & stuff like this below. My guess is he’s just a run of the mill prick that failed up.

Fair points, but my experience has been different and I stand by my post.

Fair points, but my experience has been different and I stand by my post.
If you have more direct experience than me which is probably very likely from what you are stating & considering nearly all my contact with coaches like these guys are in a fairly large group type setting, you are most likely right.

Popovich gone. Burton gone along with the guys who regressed on his watch, Thacker not coaching Linebackers, Collins now has a group he can totally trust to run the offense, so he can focus on the defense and be defacto DC with Thacker assisting him.

To be honest, I am most worried about special teams. We weren't great to start with, Weisehan is gone, no proven kickers.

If Collins didn't start off with "a group he (could) totally trust to run the offense," he should be fired for that. You don't take a job and hire a staff and fail for three years and then hire a group you can trust. That's a very bad sign.

If Collins didn't start off with "a group he (could) totally trust to run the offense," he should be fired for that. You don't take a job and hire a staff and fail for three years and then hire a group you can trust. That's a very bad sign.
I don't think he was given the budget to hire an all-star staff. Hate to say it but some of the guys we hired were placeholders. And they are now gone.

I don't think he was given the budget to hire an all-star staff. Hate to say it but some of the guys we hired were placeholders. And they are now gone.
Maybe not placeholders but a combination of shoestring budget and taking advantage of "love" for GT to flip the roster

so how much more are the new guys making over the old ones?

Maybe not placeholders but a combination of shoestring budget and taking advantage of "love" for GT to flip the roster
It would seem that spending more on assistant coaches would be a low cost/high return investment. I understand we cannot afford 20 "consultants" but surely we can pay for decent assistants. If not, our chances of success are slim and none.

9 and ...

oh screw it. It's a dead horse to beat but it's the only horse we have. Until it gets up and actually starts f'in winning something.

But the image of CGC, patting Juanyeh on his head after he caught a punt at the 1 and plainly telling him "it's not your fault," is burned into my head. I expected him to morph into Robin Williams and Juanyeh turn into Matt Damon.

9 and ...

oh screw it. It's a dead horse to beat but it's the only horse we have. Until it gets up and actually starts f'in winning something.

But the image of CGC, patting Juanyeh on his head after he caught a punt at the 1 and plainly telling him "it's not your fault," is burned into my head. I expected him to morph into Robin Williams and Juanyeh turn into Matt Damon.

I’m missing something….never mentioned CGC.

I’m missing something….never mentioned CGC.
i mis read CGO as CGC. my bad.
time for glasses. not getting them.

though last year I did see CBK gather the OL after a yet another lackluster set of downs and throw the marker at the white board.

Back