Coach O'Leary sighting

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
Coach O\'Leary sighting

Friend of mine was in the NE 3 weeks ago on business. Goes into a convenience store to pay for gas, and standing in front of him in line is Ol George. He was getting gas, two packs of chewing tabacco, and a 6 pack of beer. As he turned to leave, he actually recognized my friend from his Atlanta days and spoke to him. After they both paid for their things, they talked for about 10 minutes.
O'Leary was all for ACC expansion, but thought BC and the Cuse should have been in the final mix. My friend (a Tech grad)joked that alot of Tech folks wished he was back at GT and O'Leary used that to lead into a funny story...
He had spoken the night before at a local Sports Dinner and was being introduced to the crowd. O'Leary said that the MC spoke of his assist. coaching days at Syracuse, Maryland, and Tech, his days as an assist. pro coach, and his stint as GT's head coach. O'Leary stands, steps up to the mic, and jokingly states that he wonders why the MC failed to mention his 5 days as head coach of Notre Dame.
O'Leary had trimmed down, and was in good humor. Mentioned that his family still had the home on Lake Oconee (son now has it, I believe), and stated that he would like to get back into College coaching someday.
My friend did not ask him the 1.5 million dollar question, however (weenie).
BOO

Re: Coach O\'Leary sighting

Is it just me or does this story have a ring to it? "Then there was this one time, at band camp.."

GOL's mistake was not knowing what he had until it was gone, same mistake as Curry. He could have been at Tech an awfully long time and potentially been known as one of our best ever, if the longevity was there. As it is, he will be known in the same light as Carson, Fulcher, Rogers, Curry, and Ross instead of being thought of with Dodd, Heisman, and Alexander. Hopefully, Chan will build a winning legacy over many years at Tech and join the last three as Tech greats.

Takes one back to the good ol' days. Wish he had never left.......as we wouldn't find ourself in this mess were in now.

GATA JACKETS!!!

Originally posted by JJacket:
GOL's mistake was not knowing what he had until it was gone, same mistake as Curry. He could have been at Tech an awfully long time and potentially been known as one of our best ever, if the longevity was there. As it is, he will be known in the same light as Carson, Fulcher, Rogers, Curry, and Ross instead of being thought of with Dodd, Heisman, and Alexander. Hopefully, Chan will build a winning legacy over many years at Tech and join the last three as Tech greats.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Me thinks you've not lost your crack pipe if you think CG will ever lead our program to the level that Coach O'Leary did. My God,......He's doing just the opposite. I'll take that 6-pack of beer and chewing tobacco over the Sunday School teacher and bet the house on it.

GATA JACKETS!!!!

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
I'm sure you have many stories from band camp.
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good one! I think there's quite a few folks around here that have stories from band camp.

GATA JACKETS!!!

Originally posted by Driver8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by JJacket:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Me thinks you've not lost your crack pipe if you think CG will ever lead our program to the level that Coach O'Leary did. My God,......He's doing just the opposite. I'll take that 6-pack of beer and chewing tobacco over the Sunday School teacher and bet the house on it.

GATA JACKETS!!!!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">And what level is that jackass? As I recall as soon as Friedgen left we proceeded to turn in a 7-5 record with one of our most experienced teams to date.

Never been to band camp
tongue.gif
drinking.gif

I thought it was pretty easy to see that the fridge was the real driving force behind Oleary!
drinking.gif

Driver8, you have your coaches mixed up. It was Friegden who carried us to four bowl games in four years, a 33-14 record, and 3-1 against UGA.

O'Leary, without Friegden was 18-20, only responsible for one bowl and he did not get to coach in it, and he was O-4 against UGA. Had he coached the one bowl game of which he was responsible, he probably would have lost it.

O'Leary was 7-6 in his last 13 games and had run the wheels off a predicted top ten wagon. O'Leary was 11-14 in his first 2 1/3 years. He was only 18-19 in his first 3 1/3 years, and that included a 7-5 record in Friegden's first year.

If you want to continue to compare O'Leary and Gailey, I have some more data to bring up.

Father Time

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by JJacket:

GATA JACKETS!!!!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You need to stop telling your keyboard giddyup before your brain is hitched up. If you want 6 packs and chewbacca there's plenty directly east of Atlanta. I want a program that the man our stadium is named after could be proud.

These guys come around every year. Let's purge then now and move on. Yes?

All of you need to put it to rest. A new season is starting. Or maybe you your heads buried in the keyboards and don't know it. It is August and not Feburary or May. A new season has started. Deal with it.

GATA JACKETS!!!!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I disagree with you on that Driver.. sounds like you may need to leave that crack pipe alone for awhile too..

Lay off O'Leary. He did a good job at Tech. Throwing out his record with and without The Fridge is not quite fair since three of the four years were on the front end when Georgia Tech had no talent. And while a pre-season top 10 team of his finished towards the back of the top 25, the same could be said of Bobby Ross' '91 team.

O'Leary took over a program that was 1-10 and went 6-5 the next year (with a winning ACC record). He took us to five straight bowl games and his worst ACC mark was 4-4 in 1996. Even his poorer teams always played Georgia tough.

O'Leary recruited well and the team always played tough football. I think he left the program in good shape.

Originally posted by nathogt:
Lay off O'Leary. He did a good job at Tech. Throwing out his record with and without The Fridge is not quite fair since three of the four years were on the front end when Georgia Tech had no talent. And while a pre-season top 10 team of his finished towards the back of the top 25, the same could be said of Bobby Ross' '91 team.

O'Leary took over a program that was 1-10 and went 6-5 the next year (with a winning ACC record). He took us to five straight bowl games and his worst ACC mark was 4-4 in 1996. Even his poorer teams always played Georgia tough.

O'Leary recruited well and the team always played tough football. I think he left the program in good shape.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good post.

GATA JACKETS!

Nath, yes he did. I want to see Gailey prove himself this year just like every GT fan does.
Go Jackets.

Originally posted by JJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Driver8:

GATA JACKETS!!!!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You need to stop telling your keyboard giddyup before your brain is hitched up. If you want 6 packs and chewbacca there's plenty directly east of Atlanta. I want a program that the man our stadium is named after could be proud.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree......but it's about winning football games. Simply don't think the current regime is getting done.

GATA JACKETS!

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Driver8:

GATA JACKETS!!!!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">And what level is that jackass? As I recall as soon as Friedgen left we proceeded to turn in a 7-5 record with one of our most experienced teams to date.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You must be the toughest son-of-a-gun to come around, cause you sure seem to make a habit out of calling folks all kind of names.

Here's to you big fella,.........you the man.

Yeah right.

GATA JACKETS!!!!

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Driver8, you have your coaches mixed up. It was Friegden who carried us to four bowl games in four years, a 33-14 record, and 3-1 against UGA.

O'Leary, without Friegden was 18-20, only responsible for one bowl and he did not get to coach in it, and he was O-4 against UGA. Had he coached the one bowl game of which he was responsible, he probably would have lost it.

O'Leary was 7-6 in his last 13 games and had run the wheels off a predicted top ten wagon. O'Leary was 11-14 in his first 2 1/3 years. He was only 18-19 in his first 3 1/3 years, and that included a 7-5 record in Friegden's first year.

If you want to continue to compare O'Leary and Gailey, I have some more data to bring up.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Here's some data for you,.......51-7, the Fresno Fiasco, and a failure to pull the trigger on the QB that consistently cost us victories. Let's see you put the "holy" spin on that.

GATA JACKETS!!!!

Back