Coach O'Leary sighting

Re: Coach O\'Leary sighting

Driver8, that is an easy one. We still had O'Brien calling the plays and coaching the quarterbacks.

We also had a morale problem on the team. It was the players who quit in those last two games. You mean you watched those two games and could not detect that?

Father Time

I think I have figured Driver 8 out. Driver 8, for those of you that don't know, is an REM song. REM is the band that, for many years, called Athens, GA home. Et tu, Driver 8? Fond of Athens for any particular reason?

behead.gif

Originally posted by LLCoolJacket:
If you play Driver 8 backwards, it says can Braine!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm trying, but CD's don't seem to work like my old vinyl records.

OK, I'll put my 2 cents in. Fridge was/is a great coach. I'll put his X's and O's against anyone's! His preparation was second to none! With that being said, I liked GOL!! He had discipline and most importantly he hated UGA!! Did anyone here Goose talk about him on 790 this afternoon? Academic Gate (regardless of who was at fault) NEVER would have happened under GOL's watch. He would have jumped off a bridge before he would have let that happen!! He may have lost a few here and there but what was left was hard-nosed, ain't scared, get after your a$$, MEN!!
GO JACKETS!!!

GO'L was our coach, and when he was I was 100% loyal to him. He's gone now, and I wish him well, and the guy we've got has my loyalty. I think CG has an excellent chance of being our best coach since Bobby Dodd, better than Ross.

I'm certainly going to take that attitude until he unequivocally shows me to be wrong. I don't know how the hell else to be a fan.

I'm with you all the way bellyseries!
GO Gailey and GO Jackets!!

Patriot, I am not sure you meant what you said, but you, in essence said, under Gailey, the football players we have now are not hard nosed, they are scared, they won't get after anyone's a$$, and they are not men.

Personally, I believe these players are just as good as the players under GOL. In fact, I saw some of the players who played under GOL lay down and play as sissies in the UGA and Fresno State games. In other words, they were quitters.

Father Time

I just don't understand the berating of Coach O'Leary by some folks. He did more for Georgia Tech football than any man since Bobby Dodd. Sure he left for his dream job and many are angry over the feeling that he jilted us. But come on give the man his due. When you walk into BDS@HGF this fall. Take a look around and marvel at what the vision, determination and passion of one old Irishman brought to our storied football program.

I for one will always hold Coach O'Leary in a special place in my heart.

Go Jackets!

Originally posted by Jerry the Jacket:
I just don't understand the berating of Coach O'Leary by some folks. He did more for Georgia Tech football than any man since Bobby Dodd. Sure he left for his dream job and many are angry over the feeling that he jilted us. But come on give the man his due. When you walk into BDS@HGF this fall. Take a look around and marvel at what the vision, determination and passion of one old Irishman brought to our storied football program.

Go Jackets!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Jerry... couple years from now when gailey has either done us proud or crashed & burned GOL's legacy will be judged fairly.. Right now the pro-gailey crowd is tearing down GOL in an effort to elevate gailey... Its sad...

Originally posted by Driver8:
Takes one back to the good ol' days. Wish he had never left.......as we wouldn't find ourself in this mess were in now.

GATA JACKETS!!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Driver8! Me too, but when he did leave I NEVER EXPECTED GT to make the same mistake twice! I was really looking forward to someone special and was disappointed in what was got!

Originally posted by BeeBad:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Jerry the Jacket:

Go Jackets!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Jerry... couple years from now when gailey has either done us proud or crashed & burned GOL's legacy will be judged fairly.. Right now the pro-gailey crowd is tearing down GOL in an effort to elevate gailey... Its sad...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bee: You are right again! That's what I can't understand? GOL made things happen for the good of GT and Gailey (the one year wonder????) has not! Tearing apart the O'Leary and Ross years for a guy who has yet to do anything good for this program is sad!

Originally posted by nathogt:
Lay off O'Leary. He did a good job at Tech. Throwing out his record with and without The Fridge is not quite fair since three of the four years were on the front end when Georgia Tech had no talent. And while a pre-season top 10 team of his finished towards the back of the top 25, the same could be said of Bobby Ross' '91 team.

O'Leary took over a program that was 1-10 and went 6-5 the next year (with a winning ACC record). He took us to five straight bowl games and his worst ACC mark was 4-4 in 1996. Even his poorer teams always played Georgia tough.

O'Leary recruited well and the team always played tough football. I think he left the program in good shape.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Here, here! Good post and keep'em coming!
drinking.gif

Ms. T. Yes, George was damn good for Tech................................................................................................................................................................................ ....................................................................................... when he was here. He is gone now. I have facts to prove it if you do not believe it.

You may want to change your sig line to "A Yellow Jacket Yesterday".

Can't you please discuss the today and always about Georgia Tech football for the sake of the current minded people. We have a game in less than 4 weeks, and our home opener a week later.

Everyone knows your position. Get behind this TEAM, please. You'll feel better.

George did leave the program in good shape...except for DL and QB. Guess what killed us last year? Like I said I loved O'Leary while he was here, but he's gone now. I appreciate what he did for Tech, and he did a lot. But that's over and I'm over him. Just like I'm over Ross.

The GOL bandwagon should have left when the coach y'all speak so highly of ABANDONED GEORGIA TECH. I could care less what the drunk Irishman did when he was here. The last year he was here, I was constantly talking with my fellow Tech fans about the need to can him because he was wasting our talent. We were a resume filler for him. He's gone. Finished. A joke. Get over it. He will be lucky to get another Division I head coaching job ever again.

originally posted by jerrythejacket

He did more for Georgia Tech football than any man since Bobby Dodd.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I really like what Bobby Ross did for GT football in '90.

I agree with you concerning O'Leary's
vision, determination, and passion, but he had one really good season, one good season, four mediocre seasons, and one losing season. According to most on this board who like to use O'Leary in their Chan bashing, it's all about W's and L's. Ironically, his is not a sterling record.

I too loved him as GT's coach, but much of the O'Leary berating is in response to some who like to set up comparison's between our current coach and our former coach. The only valid comparison so far can be each man's first season as coach which puts them virtually on an equal platitude.

Many post as if O'Leary had us on the fast-track to championships, victories over ugag, and an equal level with conference top dawg (no intended implication here) f$u.

The bottom line is that as long as our current coach is bashed and presented as paling in comparison to O'Leary, then there are going to be those who, in a sense of fairness, point out how those comparisons are invalid and the "prophecies" of gloom and doom are ridiculously early.

Personally, I would love to see O'Leary's name never mentioned here again except in the context of historical references, or in memories of great Tech football experiences or a report that he has made good on his 1.5 million $ debt--certainly not in a fashion which derides the current program. **SIDENOTE: That desire is not to be interpretted as an attempt to trample somebody's free speech nor an attempt to play Sgt. at Arms or whatever the current military rank being thrown around is
wink.gif

Originally posted by spellingbee:
originally posted by jerrythejacket

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">He did more for Georgia Tech football than any man since Bobby Dodd.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I really like what Bobby Ross did for GT football in '90.

I agree with you concerning O'Leary's
vision, determination, and passion, but he had one really good season, one good season, four mediocre seasons, and one losing season. According to most on this board who like to use O'Leary in their Chan bashing, it's all about W's and L's. Ironically, his is not a sterling record.

I too loved him as GT's coach, but much of the O'Leary berating is in response to some who like to set up comparison's between our current coach and our former coach. The only valid comparison so far can be each man's first season as coach which puts them virtually on an equal platitude.

Many post as if O'Leary had us on the fast-track to championships, victories over ugag, and an equal level with conference top dawg (no intended implication here) f$u.

The bottom line is that as long as our current coach is bashed and presented as paling in comparison to O'Leary, then there are going to be those who, in a sense of fairness, point out how those comparisons are invalid and the "prophecies" of gloom and doom are ridiculously early.

Personally, I would love to see O'Leary's name never mentioned here again except in the context of historical references, or in memories of great Tech football experiences or a report that he has made good on his 1.5 million $ debt--certainly not in a fashion which derides the current program. **SIDENOTE: That desire is not to be interpretted as an attempt to trample somebody's free speech nor an attempt to play Sgt. at Arms or whatever the current military rank being thrown around is
wink.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Very well said!

Go Jackets!

BeeBad, you are showing your ignorance of the posts on the board. You are completely falsifying statements. To put it straight up, you are lying.

You cannot find one post of someone trying to down O'Leary to build up Gailey. I am the one who posts most of the remarks comparing the record of GOL and Gailey.

You find me one post where I have stated I was pro-Gailey. I have consistently presented the first 2 1/2 years of GOL's record as opposed to the first year record of Gailey to rebutt your's and other's comparisons between the two.

So your statement that we are trying to tear down GOL in an effort to elevate Gailey is a straight lie. I will call you a liar and it is not calling names. I am proving it. It is a fact.

It is just the opposite, you and others are trying to tear down Gailey, and, then deny the facts presented about O'Leary's record without Friegden.

I will restate those facts again. This is not tearing down GOL. This is undisputable facts: O'Leary was 18-20 without Friegden. He was 0-4 against UGA without Friegden. He was 11-14 in his first 2 1/2 years without Friegden.

He was responsible for only one bowl game without Friegden, and he did not coach that game. He was 7-6 in his last 13 games without Friegden, and that was with a team that rated in the preseason top ten.

Now, go find one post where I have stated I was pro-Gailey and where I have not posted facts. If you can do that, I will retract the statement that you are a liar. If not, the statement stands true on its own and proves you are a liar.

Father Time

Back