Coaching Search Update

29DA3378-1EC4-44E3-9596-E31DAD356F14.gif

0657FC25-D2CD-4A57-9ED9-0A5D60EA052C.gif
Woo! Back in the day when it was still real to me, damn it!

There is no rule that coaches have to wait to announce they are moving, prior to bowls. However, I think most wait, so they don't disturb the current team. I think if Key was the man, something would of been announced. Which leads me to believe we have an O'Brien or Chadwell toss up. Both have strengths. Between them, I think Chadwell. I respect a coach that gets a lot out of lesser talent. CPJ did that, in my opinion. I fear the O'Brien would struggle with not having a team full of 4 and 5 stars. Just outside, looking in, Chadwell seems a better fit.

I will say that during the AD search, the three names that were leaked ended up being bogus so there’s a decent chance it could end up being someone out of left field.

Hearing that the final three are:
Key
Chadwell
O'Brien
Highest floor candidates IMO. Not the highest ceiling, maybe. But we need highest floor right now.

I don’t love the Key choice at this point of his career, esp considering his connections to clown, fair or not. And he would be the least inspiring candidate from a revenue perspective. And retaining someone from the prior staff would be too big a career gamble for Batt, so I can’t imagine him getting the job unless he beats UGA which isn’t happening. I hope that is all handled well To keep the door open to Key as an alum and player and possible future coach.

Garrett Riley
I will emphatically say no to anyone who’s a hotshot coordinator that has no track record of talent development and program improvement. We are not a school that can hire those types right now. Those types of hires work at schools whose name recruits itself. Maybe when we have some consistent success and are recruiting pretty well.

I will emphatically say no to anyone who’s a hotshot coordinator that has no track record of talent development and program improvement. We are not a school that can hire those types right now. Those types of hires work at schools whose name recruits itself. Maybe when we have some consistent success and are recruiting pretty well.
That is the exact opposite of who can afford to hire a risky coach.

I thank Key for what he has done, but we are still getting blown out and look awful most of the time. I just wouldn’t feel that excited about it.

Key hasn't had much to work with, especially down to a third string QB. The only real problem I had was playing Gibson vs. UVA. I wouldn't give him the job, but I'd cut him some slack based on this season.

And why would we not even interview Deion?

That is the exact opposite of who can afford to hire a risky coach.
I disagree but also agree in that I accept the fact that some of the time these schools are looking to spend big on a huge name in coaching. But they can also afford the risk that hiring the next up and coming coordinator will turn into the next legendary coach. Usually G5 schools or lower tier P5 schools do that and then those guys are plucked by the next tier (where I put GT) who are looking for a more experienced candidate.

Examples would be Ryan Day, Lincoln Riley, Venables, Marcus Freeman, Kirby Smart. These are guys hired at schools whose name recruits itself. I don’t believe any of them had significant head coaching experience.

I don’t think it’s smart for GT to waste years on coaching candidates who are unproven head coaches.

...or some ööööing rehab candidate like Briles ...
Briles is no rehab candidate. He's a winner. Just won the (Italian) Super Bowl. He'd take us to national prominence and is literally the best chance we have to beat uGA. Second best option is Deion and hope he brings Top 10 recruits to Tech. After that, we have to hope for an astroid to hit Athens.

Yes. Same age as his brother was when Oklahoma named him head coach.
When they hired him to be the HC, Lincoln had 14 years college coaching experience at the time, including 7 years as an OC (with some AHC experience in there at ECU), and the last 2 of his OC years were at the school that promoted him to HC when Stoops retired. Garrett only has 9 years college coaching experience and only in his 3rd season as an OC. No way he is ready to jump to a P5 HC job.

Key hasn't had much to work with, especially down to a third string QB. The only real problem I had was playing Gibson vs. UVA. I wouldn't give him the job, but I'd cut him some slack based on this season.

And why would we not even interview Deion?

If you interview Deion you raise the price you have to pay for any of the other coaches.

I don't want find us in a huge contract that ties us down to a risky hire. It costs too much to fix, and we literally just did that. If we were in a different place, we could afford a risky hire like Deion. The hire we will make is probably going to be on the safer side than splashy. The only way we make a splashy hire if we hire a somebody who is not the flavor of the week.

Back