Coaching

Uhhh sure about that? Even throwing out 2007 as an outlier, recruiting is bad compared to the Gailey years.

This has been rehashed again and again and again. If you throw out the 2007 year, their recruiting performances are indistinguishable.

Calvin
Bebe
D Morgan
Michael Johnson
Dwyer
Ant (transfer)
Morgan Burnett
Wheeler
Landry
Choice
Key Fox

Aren't those all Gailey recruits? A few could be O'Leary holdovers.

Either way it's a better list than CPJ

That was a pretty awesome team you remember who lost 6-3 to Wake Forest in the ACC Championship Game. Man, that team will live in GT history as being one of the best of all time. They even almost beat Georgia.
Don't forget about that thrilling 15-12 loss to Uga. Nothing like having all that NFL talent and kicking 4 field goals!

Calvin
Bebe
D Morgan
Michael Johnson
Dwyer
Ant (transfer)
Morgan Burnett
Wheeler
Landry
Choice
Key Fox

I'd rather have a big time recruiter like Gailey back. Hell, let's bring back CPH while we're at it. He could recruit the öööö out of Atlanta.

Calvin
Bebe
D Morgan
Michael Johnson
Dwyer
Ant (transfer)
Morgan Burnett
Wheeler
Landry
Choice
Key Fox

CPJ got Allen to transfer over. Choice was a transfer for Gailey. Crazy thing is all that talent for Gailey and no top 25 finishes.

Calvin
Bebe
D Morgan
Michael Johnson
Dwyer
Ant (transfer)
Morgan Burnett
Wheeler
Landry
Choice
Key Fox

I guess, but not really. Laskey's production was as good as Dwyer's, if less showey. Shaq was as good or better than any o line player. Gotsis is a better D-lineman than all but Morgan.

We may never see athletes like Burnett and Calvin ever again, so that is a score for Gailey.

I'd give a left nut to have another Nesbitt, but remember that Gailey is the ööööass that burned a year of his eligibility to run some harebrained wildcat-style package. And JT is close.

The 2007 class was the best thing Gailey did. But it was the only really good year, all of the other years were about on par with CPJ's efforts. Recruiting certainly didn't "fall off a cliff".

With the prevalence of the spread today, CPJ's system isn't the only one that could work for us anymore. Coaching is a much bigger impact to the quality of a team than the recruited talent. (See: Georgia)

With all of the restrictions we have (that have been listed ad nauseam on this board) here are 3 quick examples of coaches that have had great success with recruiting rankings in the same ballpark as CPJ. How many among you would pass on looking at these options if CPJ left today?

Tom Herman at Houston: Houston is undefeated (5-0) against Top 25 under Tom Herman including wins over FSU & Oklahoma. Their recruiting rankings prior to his last signing class are miserable.

Chip Kelly and Scott Frost at Oregon: Look at their recruiting rankings prior to and in the first few years of Chip Kelly. They weren't great, yet Oregon went crazy while he was there. Now that Kelly, and his OC Scott Frost left, Oregon is sitting at the bottom of their division in the Pac-12.

Justin Fuente at TCU: He coached three years in the mountain west at TCU and mounted 3 mountain west championships, 3 losses (matching his championships to his losses), and a had win over Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. His team recruiting rankings by class were somewhere between 50-90 every year.

1. I'm old enough to remember that CPJ was the first coach on these lists as replacements for CCG. It was the same reasoning. He succeeded at a school with tough academics like GT. CPJ also purportedly had Georgia high school connections to boot.

2. For Herman and Fuente, you're citing mid-major success which again CPJ also had. I will admit I'm not sure how CPJ would do exactly at a non-academy mid-major (SMU was 2nd to GT in 2008 to hire CPJ). But again it was a similar argument.

3. These are the very, very top successes of any coaches at any school. Herman will get 7+ mil. from LSU or other schools should he want the pressure away from UH. These are the 99th percentile of coaches and, well, there is a 99% chance GT wouldn't get a coach in the 99th percentile. The actual coaches who GT considered in 2008 definitely weren't 99th percentile coaches (Edsall, Neuheisel, maybe Muschamp).

I guess, but not really. Laskey's production was as good as Dwyer's, if less showey. Shaq was as good or better than any o line player. Gotsis is a better D-lineman than all but Morgan.

We may never see athletes like Burnett and Calvin ever again, so that is a score for Gailey.

I'd give a left nut to have another Nesbitt, but remember that Gailey is the ööööass that burned a year of his eligibility to run some harebrained wildcat-style package. And JT is close.

The 2007 class was the best thing Gailey did. But it was the only really good year, all of the other years were about on par with CPJ's efforts. Recruiting certainly didn't "fall off a cliff".

The 2007 class also had no linemen (maybe one TE, I think) and a few kids who flunked out, transferred, or such. Threet had transferred to Michigan for a girl before the 2007 season (i.e. not because CCG was fired). So keeping CCG would have just lead to two things. Probably a much worse 2009 season. And two, dreadful 2010 and 2011 seasons as CCG's lack of linemen caught up to him.

The 2007 class also had no linemen (maybe one TE, I think) and a few kids who flunked out, transferred, or such. Threet had transferred to Michigan for a girl before the 2007 season (i.e. not because CCG was fired). So keeping CCG would have just lead to two things. Probably a much worse 2009 season. And two, dreadful 2010 and 2011 seasons as CCG's lack of linemen caught up to him.

Claytor, Yandell and Gilbert were all 2007.

In fairness, Calvin wasn't really a Gailey recruit. He was a Tech recruit. Gailey just managed to not chase him off.

Would the TO have chased off Calvin? Maybe, maybe not. It didn't chase off Waller, Hill, or Smelter.

CCG:
All games- 44-32 .579
ACC- 28-20 .583
One ACCCG, one 9 win season, 0-6 vs UGA

CPJ:
All games- 64-46 .582
ACC- 39-28 .582
Three ACCCG, one ACC title, two 10 win or better seasons, one 9 win season, two Orange Bowls, one OB win, a top 10 finish, 2-6 vs UGA.

While the total record and ACC record are similar, CPJ has been to more ACCCG, won an ACC title, won an Orange Bowl, finished in the top 10 once, and defeated UGA twice. CPJ also had a 3-9 season.

All considered, CPJ has had the better tenure at GT.

How many stupid penalties, disorganized timeouts, boneheaded plays, and turnovers does a team have to commit before PJ will realize that we're not a "football smart" team. How do you coach game IQ?
I can only remember one play call I hated....on a key drive in the second half we ran a slow-developing "twirl" counter on 2nd and short yardage, caught behind the line. I don't know what the hell we were countering because Miami, at that point in the game, was playing us pretty straight up. They weren't flying out of place on tail motion, and Mills has been money straight ahead for short yardage. In our offense we should be throwing play-action bombs on 2nd and 2, knowing that we can easily grind out the first down if we miss. We are really missing the game-changing type talent at WR. We are competent out there, at best.

Early in the game Miami were shifting and blitzing the A-gaps, and then we hit them in the mouth a few times, threw the ball over the top of them a few times, and they backed off.

just imagine if our offense had been clicking last year. Our defense is much improved.

CPJ can't seem to capitalize when one side of the ball has finally improved. When and if they get the offense going again, the defense will probably be back to normal by then. It's a sad frustrating cycle.

On the thread of coaching - would it kill CPJ and the rest of our staff to lighten up a little bit on the sideline? Not asking us to be a Dabo-esque cheerleader type program. But it'd refreshing to see the occasional "atta-boy!" when our guys come back to the sideline from making a big play, for example.

The one time that sticks out in my mind was CPJ giving JT5 a fist bump after the GW TD pass to Deon Hill vs GaSo 2 years ago.

Am I asking too much? I recognize that I can't ask a guy to change who he is. Just a little bit of positivity to encourage our guys.

On the thread of coaching - would it kill CPJ and the rest of our staff to lighten up a little bit on the sideline? Not asking us to be a Dabo-esque cheerleader type program. But it'd refreshing to see the occasional "atta-boy!" when our guys come back to the sideline from making a big play, for example.

The one time that sticks out in my mind was CPJ giving JT5 a fist bump after the GW TD pass to Deon Hill vs GaSo 2 years ago.

Am I asking too much? I recognize that I can't ask a guy to change who he is. Just a little bit of positivity to encourage our guys.
I see where you are coming from. I don't mind the intensity when something needs to be corrected, but both types of feedback can be useful.

"WHY THE HELL IS CPJ SMILING WE JUST GOT EVISCERATED AND EMBARRASSED ON NATIONAL TV TWICE IN A ROW"

Back