College Game Is Dying/How do we save it [RIP NCAA Catchall Thread]

Techbert

Dodd-Like
It is a second pro league, but it is not structured like a pro league, which makes things difficult to run it.

There are maybe a dozen serious teams, and 2 or 3 dozen teams making an effort. And that is an appropriate number for a secondary pro league.

Anyway, the part I wanted to talk about is the coaches hate it because they want to coach rather than fundraise. BC HC is now an NFL OC. Kentucky OC is back in the pros. Saban and Harbaugh are out. Everyone wants to coach in the League due to QOL, rather than beg 17 year old high schoolers and alumni for a ticket to play.

It is a second pro league, but it is not structured like a pro league, which makes things difficult to run it.

There are maybe a dozen serious teams, and 2 or 3 dozen teams making an effort. And that is an appropriate number for a secondary pro league.

Anyway, the part I wanted to talk about is the coaches hate it because they want to coach rather than fundraise. BC HC is now an NFL OC. Kentucky OC is back in the pros. Saban and Harbaugh are out. Everyone wants to coach in the League due to QOL, rather than beg 17 year old high schoolers and alumni for a ticket to play.

Let's go back to the late 60s, early 70s.

USC, UCLA, TX, AR, OK, NE, MI, OSU, Bama, Auburn, PSU, UGA, UF, ND
Probably less than 2-3 dozen others making an effort.

Roll forward to the 80s, 90s.

Add Clemson, FSU, Miami, Tennessee. Drop UCLA, AR.

00s, 10s.

Add OR, UW, UT. Drop NE, Auburn.

I probably have a few decades wrong and missed a few, but it's always been the way you described.

Let's go back to the late 60s, early 70s.

USC, UCLA, TX, AR, OK, NE, MI, OSU, Bama, Auburn, PSU, UGA, UF, ND
Probably less than 2-3 dozen others making an effort.

Roll forward to the 80s, 90s.

Add Clemson, FSU, Miami, Tennessee. Drop UCLA, AR.

00s, 10s.

Add OR, UW, UT. Drop NE, Auburn.

I probably have a few decades wrong and missed a few, but it's always been the way you described.
Exactly. It’s always been this way. The coaches are the ones who allowed this to happen. They could have stopped the bagmen but they are a fraternity and rarely tell on each other. I find it hilarious that people feel sorry for coaches in any way. They knew exactly who was paying who because they had to outbid each other. They created this entire issue.

Exactly. It’s always been this way. The coaches are the ones who allowed this to happen. They could have stopped the bagmen but they are a fraternity and rarely tell on each other. I find it hilarious that people feel sorry for coaches in any way. They knew exactly who was paying who because they had to outbid each other. They created this entire issue.
You are completely ignoring the main culprit in all this. The garbage organization known as the NCAA. This all could have had guardrails in place as NIL and the Portal evolved. Instead, they relied on the Supreme Court to back them, which they rightfully didn't, and instead gave the NCAA the middle finger.

The commissioners both strongly rebuke any notion that the creation of this advisory board is a move toward a breakaway from the college sports’ governing body. The Big Ten and SEC remain prominent members of the NCAA, both in governance and national competition, they say. The joint board does not hold unilateral authority and they will have “no motivation to simply declare” anything, Sankey said.

I know a "vote of confidence" when I see one.

We all knew this was coming sooner rather than later. It's an arms race between those 2 conferences and neither cares much for the old way of doing things under the NCAA's control. They'll string it out a little bit and move the chess pieces around so they can pretend it's not really happening.

"wasn’t impressed with Tuscaloosa"
I am shocked, Shocked I say

Lol, yep.....That should come as no surprise to anyone who's been through or to that dump of a town.......The part I'm curious about is the lingering concern with "DeBoer's erratic decisions".......Assuming this isn't a troll account (I don't have twitter so not sure how it works) that's an interesting nugget. He did hire 2 FCS coaches among his staff hires......Bama fans seem mildly ok with the staff he's brought in thus far.

Yep, just another step towards the creation of the factory conference. I wonder if they will ever be able to make it work though? Parity is what makes the NFL so wildly successful. I don't think these factories will be able to drop their "win at all costs" ways.

Back