College Game Is Dying/How do we save it [RIP NCAA Catchall Thread]

Yep, just another step towards the creation of the factory conference. I wonder if they will ever be able to make it work though? Parity is what makes the NFL so wildly successful. I don't think these factories will be able to drop their "win at all costs" ways.
I don't think they want a "factory" conference. I think that the end of the day much of the ACC, Big XII and others will be included in the next phase of college athletics and the NCAA will be relegated to a similar status as NAIA.

I think that what they have done for years is hypocritical. Georgia Tech has a player get some swag from their cousin. NCAA calls them a booster and takes away a championship. IS the booster hurt? No. Is the player hurt? No they go on to the NFL. The only people hurt are the fans. Can you imagine anything similar happening in pro sports? They talked about taking away the WS with the Astros but didn't because fact is you can't change history.

And the punishment MLB gave the Astros was to punish those who actually broke the rules, not punish the fan base as the NCAA does. I think if you can get a smaller number of schools that are much more athletic-focused and they can manage themselves, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

NCAA should enforce NIL easily enough.
1. No coach or athletic department employee can talk with a recruit, player, potential transfer or their family members regarding any promise of pay/compensation/endorsements. The only offer they can make is a scholarship and any stipends approved by the NCAA.
2. The presentation of any evidence that this rule has been broken by E-mails, texts, letters, recorded messages or witness corroborated conversations results in a suspension of the coach/employee, probation and post season ban for the school, and suspension for the player if the player or their family or agents engaged in negotiation with the school.
3. The same penalties can be enforced if evidence is presented that boosters, businesses or collectives engaged in conversation with a school’s coaches or employees arranging NIL deals for any player. Their contact must be with the player and remain arms length from the school and it’s athletic department.

This is simple and enforceable. NIL deals are 100% between the athlete and the payer. Schools must stay out of it. Proven otherwise, the NCAA should come down hard.

Tennessee has argued that these conversations about what can be offered are going on everywhere now. Why crack down on them? But, you can make this manageable and enforce fairness that avoids pay for play. The schools don’t like this simple idea because they lose control over donors and money and controlling the athlete. Tough. There will be some crazy deals made. But, eventually the market would trend toward reason and value.

Crazy… disfunction in Tuscaloosa is not good for fending off the dwags.
Yeah, we don’t need them to do our dirty work anymore. Key gonna start an in-state win streak next year.

I actually like this. These two are running the show anyway. But, they have not revealed any endgame strategy because they prefer to pick and choose at their own pace. But, maybe things are getting crazy enough they now see value in revealing their ultimate intentions and we can move to a new, more stable iteration of college football and sports than the craziness now.

You are completely ignoring the main culprit in all this. The garbage organization known as the NCAA. This all could have had guardrails in place as NIL and the Portal evolved. Instead, they relied on the Supreme Court to back them, which they rightfully didn't, and instead gave the NCAA the middle finger.
If you have read my posts for more than 2 days you know I’m the most anti-NCAA guy here. They should all be arrested and shot for their unequal enforcement of the rules for decades that put schools like GT at a huge disadvantage to every school that surrounds us in the south. That’s why I will have no issue with any conference or group leaving and forming their own system. But the coaches are the ones who started bidding on 16 year olds years ago and never stopped themselves. Now, do I feel bad for many of today’s coaches, like Key, who are having to deal with those repurcusssions? Sure it sucks for them. But they knew the sleazy career they were entering, especially Key. He’s a former player and assistant at high level schools so he knows exactly what goes on. Why hasn’t he led the charge to redeem this system? It’s called many zeros and commas.

If you have read my posts for more than 2 days you know I’m the most anti-NCAA guy here. They should all be arrested and shot for their unequal enforcement of the rules for decades that put schools like GT at a huge disadvantage to every school that surrounds us in the south. That’s why I will have no issue with any conference or group leaving and forming their own system. But the coaches are the ones who started bidding on 16 year olds years ago and never stopped themselves. Now, do I feel bad for many of today’s coaches, like Key, who are having to deal with those repurcusssions? Sure it sucks for them. But they knew the sleazy career they were entering, especially Key. He’s a former player and assistant at high level schools so he knows exactly what goes on. Why hasn’t he led the charge to redeem this system? It’s called many zeros and commas.

This is one of the more sane takes on the situation. It definitely started when schools began making millions of dollars. It was only a matter of time before coaches followed and subsequently the players.

Dave Chappelle said when he was young he learned from a 3 card monte con artist that you "never mess with a man's money." That is why this will unfortunately continue to self propagate.

The only recourse at this point is for the fans to wise up. Who knows if that will ever happen, but no person, throwing, hitting, kicking, or running any kind of ball is actually worth what they are getting paid right now in any sport in this or any other country. It's pretty much become a glorified circus and the players are the elephants, trapeze artists, and bearded ladies.

It took a long time but how popular is the circus these days? It will sort itself out, it always does.

Maybe the “Culture “ will be different at some programs. Not all kids are alike. Even the ones pursuing a career in sports. I still hope there are good kids out there that understand the difference. Fewer these days I agree.

Bama OC is leaving after a month on the job to make a lateral move as OC with the Seahawks:

This is idiotic. They've been best friends for years. The OC at an NFL job vs the OC at Alabama is not a lateral move. Don't be silly. More money, and you don't have to recruit. Win win.

Maybe the “Culture “ will be different at some programs. Not all kids are alike. Even the ones pursuing a career in sports. I still hope there are good kids out there that understand the difference. Fewer these days I agree.
It’s not about good kids or bad kids. If my son were a 5 star and had an offer with a bunch of zeros you can be darn sure I would find the right balance of education and NIL. Look at Gibbs. A great kid who left GT and he’ll never regret that decision. And King coming to GT probably won’t regret coming. As for the other types (Brown) who left they don’t really know what they don’t know so they will never consider what they potentially lost by leaving GT.

It's almost like you can't accept Twitter as a news source
pogger.png

Back