College Game Is Dying/How do we save it [RIP NCAA Catchall Thread]

"a greater quality of life in Seattle" LOL, well I know that's BS.
Maybe it’s BS to you, but that doesn’t mean it is to everybody else. If you took a poll and the average person not from Alabama was offered a good paying job in Seattle vs. a good paying job in Tuscaloosa, you might be surprised at the results.

Maybe it’s BS to you, but that doesn’t mean it is to everybody else. If you took a poll and the average person not from Alabama was offered a good paying job in Seattle vs. a good paying job in Tuscaloosa, you might be surprised at the results.

Especially because "Seattle" here likely means rich suburbs with close access to a ton of outdoorsy activities, not living in downtown Seattle with whatever euphemism/criticism you want to use for the problems it has.

You are completely ignoring the main culprit in all this. The garbage organization known as the NCAA. This all could have had guardrails in place as NIL and the Portal evolved. Instead, they relied on the Supreme Court to back them, which they rightfully didn't, and instead gave the NCAA the middle finger.

Agreed. The NCAA picked the wrong battles to fight. They always have. As for this advisory committee (between the BIG and SEC), that's even more corruption. A further push to make the divide even bigger between the 'haves' vs. the 'have nots'. They'll always argue that the Champion from their 'super league' will always be the undisputed Champion regardless of the remaining D1 teams. I also feel they'll try and influence schedule so this 'super league' will only look to schedule teams amongst themselves for strength of schedule. That'll further erode TV revenue to smaller D1 schools and less, that live and die by the money made from the P5 type money to play their games. I could be wrong about that. Bottomline, the NCAA mucked this up from the beginning, lost control and are now powerless in this whole affair.

If the NCAA had ever actually tried to govern athletics with any measure of integrity and non-duplicity, this might have been prevented. The NCAA ööööed themselves. And now all true believers in college AMATEUR football are being ööööed too.
The NCAA didn’t öööö anyone. America’s obsession with sports and being willing to throw billions of dollars at boys playing a game did.

TItle IX and running multiple divisions and levels of NCAA athletes makes The issue of pay extremely complicated for a non-profit body that organizes tournaments essentially.

NCAA should enforce NIL easily enough.
1. No coach or athletic department employee can talk with a recruit, player, potential transfer or their family members regarding any promise of pay/compensation/endorsements. The only offer they can make is a scholarship and any stipends approved by the NCAA.
2. The presentation of any evidence that this rule has been broken by E-mails, texts, letters, recorded messages or witness corroborated conversations results in a suspension of the coach/employee, probation and post season ban for the school, and suspension for the player if the player or their family or agents engaged in negotiation with the school.
3. The same penalties can be enforced if evidence is presented that boosters, businesses or collectives engaged in conversation with a school’s coaches or employees arranging NIL deals for any player. Their contact must be with the player and remain arms length from the school and it’s athletic department.

This is simple and enforceable. NIL deals are 100% between the athlete and the payer. Schools must stay out of it. Proven otherwise, the NCAA should come down hard.

Tennessee has argued that these conversations about what can be offered are going on everywhere now. Why crack down on them? But, you can make this manageable and enforce fairness that avoids pay for play. The schools don’t like this simple idea because they lose control over donors and money and controlling the athlete. Tough. There will be some crazy deals made. But, eventually the market would trend toward reason and value.
This is wildly delusional. These kids are essentially workers now. The NCAA does not allow them to collectively bargain. Okay, I guess it's up to me to get what's coming to me. But they can't talk money with potential schools? Tell me, how many job offers have you accepted in your life and not been allowed to inquire about pay until after the fact? I'm gonna guess none. Of course there is money being discussed. Caleb Downs skipped Georgia for OSU because he got offered more money, same as you would take a job that offered more money, benefits, professional development, etc.

The Big Ten and the SEC have filed joint charges against the NCAA for "lack of institutional control." The punishment, as determined by a neutral judge (the SMU school President): The Death Penalty.

Especially because "Seattle" here likely means rich suburbs with close access to a ton of outdoorsy activities, not living in downtown Seattle with whatever euphemism/criticism you want to use for the problems it has.
I heard a stat when I graduated that half of GT computer science majors went to Seattle / Redmond

Sometimes more pay doesn't always equate to better quality of life, hence my quotes from the source.

NCAA should enforce NIL easily enough.
1. No coach or athletic department employee can talk with a recruit, player, potential transfer or their family members regarding any promise of pay/compensation/endorsements. The only offer they can make is a scholarship and any stipends approved by the NCAA.
2. The presentation of any evidence that this rule has been broken by E-mails, texts, letters, recorded messages or witness corroborated conversations results in a suspension of the coach/employee, probation and post season ban for the school, and suspension for the player if the player or their family or agents engaged in negotiation with the school.
3. The same penalties can be enforced if evidence is presented that boosters, businesses or collectives engaged in conversation with a school’s coaches or employees arranging NIL deals for any player. Their contact must be with the player and remain arms length from the school and it’s athletic department.

This is simple and enforceable. NIL deals are 100% between the athlete and the payer. Schools must stay out of it. Proven otherwise, the NCAA should come down hard.

Tennessee has argued that these conversations about what can be offered are going on everywhere now. Why crack down on them? But, you can make this manageable and enforce fairness that avoids pay for play. The schools don’t like this simple idea because they lose control over donors and money and controlling the athlete. Tough. There will be some crazy deals made. But, eventually the market would trend toward reason and value.
The NCAA cannot enforce anything. Tennessee is about to hand them another loss, just like FSU, UNC did. If the NCAA tries to hand out any penalties, schools will take them to court for another embarrassing loss.

Mark Emmert was making $3 million per year running a billion dollar organization off of D1A CFB and the NCAAT. All the NCAA had to do 5-6 years ago was implement a collective bargaining with the SA’s and the state of CFB and CBB wouldn’t be in the mess it’s in.

The sooner the NCAA is out of P4 football, and a governing body is in place establishing collective caps, fixing the Portal, etc is when CFB will normalize. Will it be NFL lite? Yes. But it has been trending in that direction for 20+ years. The Allston case was just the last domino.

Mike Farrell hit the nail on the head this week. The only thing saving CFB are the multiple generations of diehard fans who have always loved CFB. But the cracks are there, and like with coaches, once the fans get truly sick of the nonsense is when attendance and TV numbers will decline forcing change. It’s obvious the B1G / sec see this, which is why they are in agreement to try and fix the current unsustainable chaos. It’s unfortunate the ACC, B12 aren’t a part of the solution going forward.

This is wildly delusional. These kids are essentially workers now. The NCAA does not allow them to collectively bargain. Okay, I guess it's up to me to get what's coming to me. But they can't talk money with potential schools? Tell me, how many job offers have you accepted in your life and not been allowed to inquire about pay until after the fact? I'm gonna guess none. Of course there is money being discussed. Caleb Downs skipped Georgia for OSU because he got offered more money, same as you would take a job that offered more money, benefits, professional development, etc.

I completely disagree with you. The courts have never ruled, and never will, that the schools have to pay players to play college football. The athletes do not have to become employees of the university unless the schools make that choice. The issue is that they cannot deny players to profit from their name, image and likeness. Greedy schools could have avoided this with a good faith effort to share football and video game revenues with the players all the way back to the O'Bannon trial.

Yes, I take a job with pay as an important factor. With NIL now wide open the NCAA could keep the schools out of the negotiations, but they don't want that loss of control. They want Georgia Tech controlling the revenue shared with players, not Delta, Coca-Cola or The Varsity. This lets you know they still stubbornly refuse to let players negotiate their market worth based on their name, image and likeness because they know how large that might be. They still do not comprehend or wish to comply with the legal issue here - the right of a college athlete to market themselves to those willing to pay.

The schools do not want to leave it up to their friends, local businesses, alums and boosters to determine who will pay the most to a five star. They want the control.

I completely disagree with you. The courts have never ruled, and never will, that the schools have to pay players to play college football. The athletes do not have to become employees of the university unless the schools make that choice. The issue is that they cannot deny players to profit from their name, image and likeness. Greedy schools could have avoided this with a good faith effort to share football and video game revenues with the players all the way back to the O'Bannon trial.

Yes, I take a job with pay as an important factor. With NIL now wide open the NCAA could keep the schools out of the negotiations, but they don't want that loss of control. They want Georgia Tech controlling the revenue shared with players, not Delta, Coca-Cola or The Varsity. This lets you know they still stubbornly refuse to let players negotiate their market worth based on their name, image and likeness because they know how large that might be. They still do not comprehend or wish to comply with the legal issue here - the right of a college athlete to market themselves to those willing to pay.

The schools do not want to leave it up to their friends, local businesses, alums and boosters to determine who will pay the most to a five star. They want the control.
In a perfect world, yes. Sounds awesome. Is NIL any different than the bag men that dominated these schools and programs for decades? No, it isn't. It's the schools pissing on the NCAA's back and calling it rain. But to sit there and act like money is not being discussed with these blue chippers, come on man. You're being intellectually dishonest. These kids don't play for schools anymore. Get that out of your head. Some of them play for coaches, and the rest of them play for the bag. The school is simply a medium. They don't have to stay, they owe no loyalty to stay. Schools can dump them as quickly as they can dump us. I'm sure they all find a way around the technicalities, but make no mistake.... That's all they are. Technicalities.

Of course the coaches are talking about the money with the recruits. That is why they preferred collectives to individuals and companies directly negotiating with the recruits. But, it could be different. They could, as I suggest, adopt and enforce rules that if you get caught offering pay for play you are severely punished, coach and school face suspensions, post season bans, scholarship forfeitures and heavy fines. If the athlete gets caught in the negotiating directly with the schools they lose eligibility. I am sure coaches would find a way to communicate with their bag men. But, they did that in the days when all of this was illegal. Now, with NIL there can be clear and above board negotiating deals with an athlete and anyone not directly a part of the program - coaches, AD's and athletic department/university reps are the only ones excluded. My belief is that the way NIL is being handled is driven by the superpowers, super conferences and NCAA who were scared to death it could disturb the status quo and that the Georgias, Alabamas and Ohio States might lose a bit of their competitive advantage.

Of course the coaches are talking about the money with the recruits. That is why they preferred collectives to individuals and companies directly negotiating with the recruits. But, it could be different. They could, as I suggest, adopt and enforce rules that if you get caught offering pay for play you are severely punished, coach and school face suspensions, post season bans, scholarship forfeitures and heavy fines. If the athlete gets caught in the negotiating directly with the schools they lose eligibility. I am sure coaches would find a way to communicate with their bag men. But, they did that in the days when all of this was illegal. Now, with NIL there can be clear and above board negotiating deals with an athlete and anyone not directly a part of the program - coaches, AD's and athletic department/university reps are the only ones excluded. My belief is that the way NIL is being handled is driven by the superpowers, super conferences and NCAA who were scared to death it could disturb the status quo and that the Georgias, Alabamas and Ohio States might lose a bit of their competitive advantage.
This is it exactly. Thank you for posting it. The only reason the SEC/BIG are getting together is because they realize their competitive advantage of buying players under the table and stacking depth is over. The portal has ripped their depth apart and now any school can buy a player. They can’t have pesky ole SMU crashing their party like they did in the 80’s. I love all this. The hyprocrisy being shown by the power schools is just hilarious to me. The corruption of the past 100 years of this sport is being exposed and fans are FINALLY waking up to the fact that it’s been nothing but professional wrestling run by the NCAA and Bowl Committees while the bagmen employed non-student athletes to play the games. And then we are suppose to applaud when the dude finally gets his degree 20 years later. It’s all a scam. I still root for my schools 11 jerseys on the field because I like the game, but I am under no false pretense that any player gives a rip about my school and wouldn’t walk away the minute an extra dollar is offered. It’s all just business.

The schools don't have to pay the players. But what they are likely not going to be allowed to continue to do is agree among themselves to have rules *against* paying players, so individual schools will be allowed to do so if they choose. And with all the money in college football and the history of players being paid under the table, often with the schools' "wink-wink" endorsements, it's pretty clear that schools will do so.

That hasn't been ruled on yet but it was strongly implied in the O'bannon case ruling:

Brett Kavanaugh said:
Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different.

The NCAA is not above the law.

Unless Congress passes a bill specifically exempting college sports from antitrust laws, schools will eventually be paying players directly. I believe Congress may do that, but it's likely to come with some sort of revenue sharing agreement (like every other pro sport with an antitrust exemption) so players will be getting paid anyway.

Great, maybe whichever Dakota school that was the Fighting Souix can get their ööööing mascot back and schedule a game with the God damn FIGHTING ILLINI.

This all beginning to sound like a giant prostitution ring. Easy to spy the pimps and streetwalkers, but no one really knows where the high end talent is working and how much they are getting paid. RICO should come into play at some point.

Back