College Game Is Dying/How do we save it [RIP NCAA Catchall Thread]

I used to be an all sports consumer back in the 80’s. By the mid-90’s I had dropped the nba completely. Late 90’s dropped MLB because of the strike. The one and done era put me off of NCAAMBB. The NFL is teetering because it’s marching down the NBA path. College football is following college BB.
I never played hockey or soccer as a kid, so only have passing interest there. Maybe I will look into one of those.

This is one of the more sane takes on the situation. It definitely started when schools began making millions of dollars. It was only a matter of time before coaches followed and subsequently the players.

Dave Chappelle said when he was young he learned from a 3 card monte con artist that you "never mess with a man's money." That is why this will unfortunately continue to self propagate.

The only recourse at this point is for the fans to wise up. Who knows if that will ever happen, but no person, throwing, hitting, kicking, or running any kind of ball is actually worth what they are getting paid right now in any sport in this or any other country. It's pretty much become a glorified circus and the players are the elephants, trapeze artists, and bearded ladies.

It took a long time but how popular is the circus these days? It will sort itself out, it always does.
Well put as was the post you referenced. It will only change when the money dries up and that starts with fans. As for the circus, when one thinks about the 11.7million that the clown got as a severance to leave a job that he was way over his head in, the circus was a great analogy.

Only one metric. More games on TV, more exposure, potentially less per game, potentially offset by fewer fans in the stadiums, etc.

Also, how are the ratings affected by dvr and the push to digital? That has to alter the way it's measured

Only one metric. More games on TV, more exposure, potentially less per game, potentially offset by fewer fans in the stadiums, etc.

Also, how are the ratings affected by dvr and the push to digital? That has to alter the way it's measured

Not sure if this answers your question, but I found this:

I got to believe that DVR and other methods have to be accounted for. I've got shows on DVR that I have no idea when it actually airs.

This has me spitting out my coffee. So, a guy who has benefited more than just about any coach with an uneven playing field and uneven enforcement of the rules is now trying to be a voice a reason? Hey Nick, where are your Natty’s from Michigan State?

Now that NIL and the portal have opened the doors to every school poaching players and paying them, the protected class is now screaming that the system must change. What a joke. I hope SMU buys every 5 star they can in a few years and shows guys like Saban that it ain’t that hard to win when the system takes care of you - Saban knows this which is why he’s whining now instead of 20 years ago.

This has me spitting out my coffee. So, a guy who has benefited more than just about any coach with an uneven playing field and uneven enforcement of the rules is now trying to be a voice a reason? Hey Nick, where are your Natty’s from Michigan State?

Now that NIL and the portal have opened the doors to every school poaching players and paying them, the protected class is now screaming that the system must change. What a joke. I hope SMU buys every 5 star they can in a few years and shows guys like Saban that it ain’t that hard to win when the system takes care of you - Saban knows this which is why he’s whining now instead of 20 years ago.

He might indeed be hypocritical but it doesn't mean that he's wrong.

Yesterday's hypocrisy on Capitol Hill was disgusting. Oh, we cannot possibly survive if we treat football and basketball players as employees!?!? Why not? You employ students to work in the library, to be TA's in lab sciences, to be RA's in dorms, to drive old folks to parking lots to football stadiums on game days but want to insist playing a revenue sport is an extracurricular activity as opposed to being a job. You just want to keep the money for bloated athletic departments, huge salaries for AD's and coaches, and for stronger control over the players.

Yesterday's hypocrisy on Capitol Hill was disgusting. Oh, we cannot possibly survive if we treat football and basketball players as employees!?!? Why not? You employ students to work in the library, to be TA's in lab sciences, to be RA's in dorms, to drive old folks to parking lots to football stadiums on game days but want to insist playing a revenue sport is an extracurricular activity as opposed to being a job. You just want to keep the money for bloated athletic departments, huge salaries for AD's and coaches, and for stronger control over the players.

Southern teams have enjoyed two decades of dominance thanks to paying some players under the table and not having to pay all players which came at a relatively low cost. The legalization of paying the players have driven the costs up because now Northern teams with higher purchasing power can come outbid them for those top players. So now Southern teams are saying how am I gonna run my business paying all these players. It’s basically civil war.

Southern teams have enjoyed two decades of dominance thanks to paying some players under the table and not having to pay all players which came at a relatively low cost. The legalization of paying the players have driven the costs up because now Northern teams with higher purchasing power can come outbid them for those top players. So now Southern teams are saying how am I gonna run my business paying all these players. It’s basically civil war.
Yep. And now all of a sudden the system is broken. It’s been broken for decades and honest schools lost billions by actually following the rules and trying to educate players. I can’t wait until some rich guys get together at a school off the radar and uses the system just like Bama did for decades knowing the NCAA would never step on campus. Look what they did in the 80’s when SMU got all “uppity”.

Pay kids however you want. The NCAA can't stop that. Ohio State wants to give some 19 year old $500k, let 'em.

The NCAA _can_ limit who plays in an NCAA-sanctioned event. So, just require schools to tag a kid as part of their team until their expected graduation. If that kid leaves to go somewhere else, don't open up the headcount. In my ideal world, the only things that can open up a headcount back to the school is:

• Graduation
  • Medical waiver
  • Headcount is +1 day past the original expected graduation date of the student athlete
I'd also bring back mandatory red-shirting.

This should work for all sports, by the way. I'm not in love with the idea of student athlete unions, but only because I think it will gut Olympic/Womens/Non-revenue team sports. But the solution shouldn't be öööö student unions, it should be fix ööööing football.

I wonder if Title IX would allow a distinction for "revenue sports?" From a legal perspective, why would a football player be an employee but not a women's field hockey player?

I wonder if Title IX would allow a distinction for "revenue sports?" From a legal perspective, why would a football player be an employee but not a women's field hockey player?

Probably all scholarship recipients in any sport would be treated as an employee for compliance, especially to Title IX. But, aren’t they treated that way already? If you receive a scholarship you are told when to report. Practices and workouts are mandatory. You are expected to show up. If you really debated this would the treatment of a scholarship athlete be more akin to the treatment of an employee or the treatment of an extracurricular activity participant?

As a scholarship recipient the Navy treated me more as an employee than volunteer. Believe me, Naval Science classes, drill, and summer cruise were not optional. I was paid my scholarship. books, and a monthly stipend. I was expected to earn my pay. It was different when I played intramural sports for the Navy. I did not get paid for that and my participation was truly optional. The same was true regarding my activities in student government, Glee Club and BSU. There was no pay involved and you could tell quite a difference between participation in an extra curricular activity and being a scholarship recipient.

Probably all scholarship recipients in any sport would be treated as an employee for compliance, especially to Title IX. But, aren’t they treated that way already? If you receive a scholarship you are told when to report. Practices and workouts are mandatory. You are expected to show up. If you really debated this would the treatment of a scholarship athlete be more akin to the treatment of an employee or the treatment of an extracurricular activity participant?

As a scholarship recipient the Navy treated me more as an employee than volunteer. Believe me, Naval Science classes, drill, and summer cruise were not optional. I was paid my scholarship. books, and a monthly stipend. I was expected to earn my pay. It was different when I played intramural sports for the Navy. I did not get paid for that and my participation was truly optional. The same was true regarding my activities in student government, Glee Club and BSU. There was no pay involved and you could tell quite a difference between participation in an extra curricular activity and being a scholarship recipient.
Yeah, all that makes sense. I'm just saying the potential salary pool is probably a lot bigger than just the revenue sports. I might also question whether the scholarship/non-scholarship dichotomy would hold up. Walk-ons have to do all the same stuff as the scholarship players, right?

Then there's the question of the legality of potentially huge differentials of pay between athletes. Maybe all athletes get the same base salary and the school is able to initiate separate NIL deals with the elite, revenue-producing athletes? Would Title IX allow that? It's a can of worms.

Why would he try to tear down the system while he was in the system?

Back