College Game Is Dying/How do we save it [RIP NCAA Catchall Thread]

IMG_2834.gif

University of Alabama, Bryant Denny campus would have a very small campus of 75 students with a large gym, 5 star hotel, butler services, etc. University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa campus would remain unchanged.

This kind of sounds like the Hunger Games.

Do the players have to play if they are selected?

One of the few times where the thread title isn't misleading or hyperbole.

No but they will be shamed for not serving their university if they don't. Women will spit at them and call them cowards.
So I would imagine that the revenue stream both from ticket sales and TV would plummet dramatically since no one would have much interest in watching a bunch of conscripted nobodies get thrown into the arena in a not-quite death match. Especially if some of the guys are playing against their will or have no interest in bettering the team. It’d be like watching a team full of Jeff Sims, and I think we’d all agree that that would be disastrous.

So I would imagine that the revenue stream both from ticket sales and TV would plummet dramatically since no one would have much interest in watching a bunch of conscripted nobodies get thrown into the arena in a not-quite death match. Especially if some of the guys are playing against their will or have no interest in bettering the team. It’d be like watching a team full of Jeff Sims, and I think we’d all agree that that would be disastrous.

People like college football for more than seeing the best of the best athletes. If that was solely what made it entertaining, they'd just watch NFL instead. It's the the drama, the stories, the characters, the strategy, the tribal affiliations that drive interest as much as the talent.

What I propose would admittedly reduce the talent level. But that's a good thing! College football is quickly becoming teams full of hired players which is redundant with the NFL. A healthy college football maximizes all the entertaining factors I mentioned, not just the talent at the expense of other factors.

The most popular TV in America that isn't sports is reality TV. There are plenty of successful reality TV shows that follow pretty ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances, demonstrating that you can have entertainment without extraordinary people. It would be pretty entertaining to follow a motley crop of conscripts as they prepare for their college football season.

You say it'd be dull if the players were being forced to play or uninterested. I'd agree if that were the case but I think many draftees would want to play. They will get fame, big NIL money, and honor. Carrots not sticks.

People like college football for more than seeing the best of the best athletes. If that was solely what made it entertaining, they'd just watch NFL instead. It's the the drama, the stories, the characters, the strategy, the tribal affiliations that drive interest as much as the talent.

What I propose would admittedly reduce the talent level. But that's a good thing! College football is quickly becoming teams full of hired players which is redundant with the NFL. A healthy college football maximizes all the entertaining factors I mentioned, not just the talent at the expense of other factors.

The most popular TV in America that isn't sports is reality TV. There are plenty of successful reality TV shows that follow pretty ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances, demonstrating that you can have entertainment without extraordinary people. It would be pretty entertaining to follow a motley crop of conscripts as they prepare for their college football season.

You say it'd be dull if the players were being forced to play or uninterested. I'd agree if that were the case but I think many draftees would want to play. They will get fame, big NIL money, and honor. Carrots not sticks.

Talent isn't solely why people watch, but it is a big part of it. Perhaps it's equal, like you say.

Reducing the talent level would not necessarily kill interest in the sport -- but what you are proposing would not just reduce the talent level, it would absolutely destroy it. The game would be almost unwatchable outside seeing the spectacle of just how bad football can get.

And seeing extremely talented people possible play the game at a high level is a big part of what makes college sports (or any sports with high viewership numbers) popular. Otherwise women's basketball would be much more popular. No doubt they have at least as much drama, as many stories, conflicts, etc., as the men.

No but they will be shamed for not serving their university if they don't. Women will spit at them and call them cowards.

Wait, you're saying the women would be excluded from the draft? What about equal rights, what about Title IX, what about people who identify as....

Radical idea: it doesn't need saving. It's still the best regular season in all of sports. A lot of people think the 12-team playoff is going to diminish that. I ask simply, "have you seen the schedules these teams are playing?" There's stuff I don't like about the modern era, of course. But it's not broken beyond repair by any stretch.

Talent isn't solely why people watch, but it is a big part of it. Perhaps it's equal, like you say.

Reducing the talent level would not necessarily kill interest in the sport -- but what you are proposing would not just reduce the talent level, it would absolutely destroy it. The game would be almost unwatchable outside seeing the spectacle of just how bad football can get.

And seeing extremely talented people possible play the game at a high level is a big part of what makes college sports (or any sports with high viewership numbers) popular. Otherwise women's basketball would be much more popular. No doubt they have at least as much drama, as many stories, conflicts, etc., as the men.
It's true AMATEUR athletics, like it's supposed to be. I think you underestimate how well a random group of men could play with training and coaching. It'd be the caliber of high school football I bet.

Re women's basketball, it has all the same ingredients as men's but historically the talent level has been less, so all other things being equal, people favored men's. I think now that men's basketball is losing ingredients that made it interesting, we'll see growing interest in women's basketball. Might already be happening.

Promotion / Relegation in CFB is eventually going to happen for football only. The B1G, sec could care less about teams like Vandy, IU, etc taking a full revenue share while not producing on the field. For the ACC that’s easily become UVA at this point. If you look at the current B12, they already went down the promotion part when they added Cincy, UCF, BYU, and Houston.

This concept will create more excitement and will actually stabilize a lot of movement by coaches. If you use 2024 for example with the following conference affiliations, it would have created the following Promotion / Relegation games.

ACC affiliated with the AAC:

ACC relegation game:
UVA vs Wake

AAC promotion game:
Tulane vs UTSA (*SMU already being a member of the ACC moves UTSA into this game)

B1G affiliated with the MAC:

B1G relegation game:
IU vs. Michigan State

MAC promotion game:
Miami (OH) vs Toledo

sec affiliated with the Sun Belt:

sec affiliated relegation game:
Vandy vs Arkansas

Sun Belt promotion game:
JMU vs Troy

B12 affiliated with CUSA:

New B12 relegation game:
Cincy vs Colorado

CUSA promotion game:
Liberty vs New Mexico State

The outlier is how the remnants of the P12 (Wazzou, Oregon State) and Mountain West will work.

Programs are moved up and down and the revenue is adjusted to those programs based on where they are. This will really determine what schools really care about their football programs vs the ones who don’t.

Per rumors, Petitti and Sankey have discussed promotion / relegation as another step in CFB as the new CFP era evolves and the NCAA is relegated to the governing body of FCS on down.

It's true AMATEUR athletics, like it's supposed to be. I think you underestimate how well a random group of men could play with training and coaching. It'd be the caliber of high school football I bet.

I would argue that this is the opposite of amateur athletics is supposed to be. Amateur athletics is supposed to be open to anyone, with the teams at the top being made up of those with the ideal combination of passion, dedication, and talent to deliver the best result. It is still about competition, after all.

It's not supposed to be about excluding everyone but a small subset of random, unskilled players, likely leaving out those most dedicated to and passionate about the sport.

What we have now is not what amateur athletics is supposed be. But neither is your proposal.

OP gets an A for creativity.but there would have to be a lot more meat on the rules to be workable. Couldn
t be selecting random students because you can't pick ones that don't want to play. What would students who want to play and get randomly selected get as compensation? Schollies, pay, NIL payments or all of the above. Seems like you would have to have an eligible pool that were prescreened for eligibility to draw from and someone in the pool could only be in 1 schools pool. It would be like tryouts ahead of time so that the deal was clear for each candidate but it could allow what are now walkons to be eligible to be lotteried. Result would be kinda like affirmative action for nonjocks.

I'd give it about 2 milliseconds for the lawsuits to begin after the first catastrophic injury, which would also occur in about 2 milliseconds when normal Joe gets shellacked by future NFL Joe. On the plus side every game would be a sellout, but only because the crowd would mostly consist of opportunistic ambulance chasers.

They play the games topless, obviously. But, tell me, what about bottoms? I'm a bottom.

Back