College Game Is Dying/How do we save it [RIP NCAA Catchall Thread]

lot of money on the line in athens underground street racing circuit. no ones survived a race against the trackhawk yet

Buying a $300K car is so absurdly stupid. Instead of retiring before 30, he will be broke before 30.
6 years ago I told a 26 year old coworker that a 55 YO him would want to kick his 26 YO self in the ass for spending $65k on an inground pool - at a house he will probably move from within a few years.

Upon further review, he might as well live it up while he can. By the time he's in his late 50's he will be lucky if a USD has any value at all.

By the time he's in his late 50's he will be lucky if a USD has any value at all.
It is already worse than worthless. It is killing everything worth loving, and nobody even questions its necessity. We are ööööed, but before we vanish back into the void we are going to watch this abstract monster of ours devour the things we care about until there is nothing left on this planet but the ghost of the economy.

6 years ago I told a 26 year old coworker that a 55 YO him would want to kick his 26 YO self in the ass for spending $65k on an inground pool - at a house he will probably move from within a few years.

Upon further review, he might as well live it up while he can. By the time he's in his late 50's he will be lucky if a USD has any value at all.
An old joke the two happiest days of your life is the day you buy a boat and the day you sell it. I feel the same way about an inground swimming pool.

I get it. But you at least understand that’s a you issue. My son is at GT. I still remember the first time he texted me his freshmen year when he walked by Gibbs. It was the same feeling I had 35ish years ago walking by Todd Rampley and Shawn Jones, then Kenny and Dennis. He texted me the other day how he saw Haynes King and Jamaal Haynes on campus. And he sees Key all the time because he is always walking by Edge.. It’s all in our own personal view. My son is having a blast at GT and enjoyed this past season as much as I enjoyed seasons 35 years ago. He’s not bitter that Gibbs went to Bama for a year or that Leftwich is going to UNC. He’s rooting for the GT players of today, like I am. I enjoyed this past season and the playoffs although it would have been nice to see an ACC team in there especially one that went undefeated. For me the experience has not changed at all. When I drive to ATL to go to a home game, it‘s the exact same experience it was 20 years ago. And when I watch from home, my Blackstone works the same and I enjoy the full day of college football. That the players change teams more often and that payments are now known instead of unknown is just noise. I have known for every Saturday for the past 40 years that Bama, UGA, OU, Ohio St, Michigan are gonna win jus5 about every Saturday. I know GT is gonna be in a battle every Saturday whether we play FSU or Georgia State. None of that has changed one iota in 50 years so I just don’t get the sky is falling attitudes other than that the ACC is on borrowed time, but even then GT will still be playing someone and I’ll still watch.
That‘s great, thanks for sharing!

It is already worse than worthless. It is killing everything worth loving, and nobody even questions its necessity. We are ööööed, but before we vanish back into the void we are going to watch this abstract monster of ours devour the things we care about until there is nothing left on this planet but the ghost of the economy.
Dude, step back from the edge

What would NIL be like if we went back to a barter economy?

Or not-so-slow.
It seems likely to me that ESPN recognizes the necessity of perpetuating the illusion of a massive and level playing field; reduce March Madness to 16 teams and it's ESPNU material. As such, I don't think we will get a sudden surprise presser where the SEC and B1G announce their breakaway and ESPN unleashes a merciless "THIS IS WHAT YOU LOVE NOW" marketing campaign. There may only be a window of 2 or 3 years upon us right now wherein Tech and teams about/below our caliber still have a legitimate chance at competing for the national championship, but I don't think the news that this window has closed will be broken one unsuspecting Monday morning. It is a transition of a sport into a product and the remaking/"enhancement" of that product with a participatory component which may or may not ruin a given fan's life. Takes time.

It seems likely to me that ESPN recognizes the necessity of perpetuating the illusion of a massive and level playing field; reduce March Madness to 16 teams and it's ESPNU material. As such, I don't think we will get a sudden surprise presser where the SEC and B1G announce their breakaway and ESPN unleashes a merciless "THIS IS WHAT YOU LOVE NOW" marketing campaign. There may only be a window of 2 or 3 years upon us right now wherein Tech and teams about/below our caliber still have a legitimate chance at competing for the national championship, but I don't think the news that this window has closed will be broken one unsuspecting Monday morning. It is a transition of a sport into a product and the remaking/"enhancement" of that product with a participatory component which may or may not ruin a given fan's life. Takes time.
I mean, ESPN unleashed a merciless "FSU DOESNT BELONG IN THE PLAYOFFS" marketing campaign this year, so it's not a stretch

I mean, ESPN unleashed a merciless "FSU DOESNT BELONG IN THE PLAYOFFS" marketing campaign this year, so it's not a stretch
No, not at all. And it is coming sooner or later, but obviously more subtle and scaly than the one I mentioned. I don't think they're capable of being quite so forthright.

Back