College Game Is Dying/How do we save it [RIP NCAA Catchall Thread]

An old joke the two happiest days of your life is the day you buy a boat and the day you sell it. I feel the same way about an inground swimming pool.
A vendor of mine has his in ground pool removed once his grandkids got into their early 20's. Said he hated the damn thing and hasn't even been in it in about a decade.

Pure sport?

Dear Nick and Kirby,
You can put money in Burger King bags and get all the 5 and 4 stars you want and then even if you lose a game we’ll make sure you get invited, and if anyone becomes a threat to you we’ll be sure to put them on probation.
Signed,
The NCAA

Dear Georgia Tech,
You have screwed up our little party by fielding a competitive team and somehow being the lone undefeated team. But I regret to inform you that instead of having a matchup with you and the chosen Colorado Buffalos, we have already entered into an agreement with Notre Dame because everyone in the Midwest and Northeast likes to visit relatives in Miami and they have the rocket while you have no one anyone has heard of even though you beat the #1 team in the country.
Signed,
The Orange Bowl, with permission from your own conference leadership
I don’t understand the NCAAs love for Bama and UGA. Why not Florida and Tennessee?

Yes, by staying the öööö out of Seattke
Easily done. Seahawk training camp is in Renton. Given the location, the coaches & players are most likely living in Bellevue, Mercer Island, or around Lake Sammamish in places such as Redmond or Issaquah.

For that matter UW is easily reached from these same communities.

QOL in these places is quite high if you can afford it. No reason to go into the “emerald city” except on home game days.

can anyone confirm he's right in that espn can end contract next year?
crazy that everyone is just letting tv networks dictate conference realignments.
of course this guy lumps us in with conference bottom feeders cuse, BC, wake smu and standford
I can't confirm anything but my understanding is that the GOR is with the ACC and not ESPN so ESPN deciding to voluntarily end the contract would not end the GOR. I doubt anyone can confirm anything definitely as the contract has not been made public.

I can't confirm anything but my understanding is that the GOR is with the ACC and not ESPN so ESPN deciding to voluntarily end the contract would not end the GOR. I doubt anyone can confirm anything definitely as the contract has not been made public.
Wouldn’t losing the tv contract essentially end the ACC though?

Wouldn’t losing the tv contract essentially end the ACC though?
Only if ESPN decided not to do a new one and we couldn't get something negotiated with Fox fast enough. More likely ESPN would try to negotiate an even worse contract instead, or one that has conditionals on certain teams still being in the conference.

can anyone confirm he's right in that espn can end contract next year?
crazy that everyone is just letting tv networks dictate conference realignments.
of course this guy lumps us in with conference bottom feeders cuse, BC, wake smu and standford
Ball is 100% in ESPN’s court after 2027. ACC GOR (schools regardless of TV) is through 2036.

Ball is 100% in ESPN’s court after 2027. ACC GOR (schools regardless of TV) is through 2036.

I've found a couple of sites that show a copy of the GOR. It very definitely is tied to the ESPN contract, but in each case, the term ends on June 30, 2027, not in 2036.

I've found a couple of sites that show a copy of the GOR. It very definitely is tied to the ESPN contract, but in each case, the term ends on June 30, 2027, not in 2036.
Which is technically the 2026 football and 2026-winter 2027 hoops seasons.

Maybe you are talking about a long time ago. But when I was at GT in late 80’s the athletes were in no way part of the student experience. I lived in Woodruff with many of the athletes and they were in their own bubble. They weren’t at the student bowling with the commoners or working out at the SAC. Kenny and Dennis were more pro than any athlete we’ve had on campus in the past 20 years (maybe Parada).
Dennis was hanging at the Tech bars when he was there and was always friendly to everyone.

Draft 40 random able-bodied men from the student body of a college. They are the football team. 20 new random men each year.

The football teams would then reflect the students of a school instead of just being ringers–solving a problem that has existed for decades. The caliber of football would decrease but I'd argue would be more entertaining. The teams would have more personality. Military academies would dominate like the days of old, increasing their esteem within our society. An engineering school might have less brawn but more ingenuity. Universities couldn't game the system because they'd have to admit only athletes and thereby seriously diminish their academics in order to rig the draft–checks and balances.

Universities would become incented to increase physical fitness of their students–something that is lacking in modern university education–in order to increase the odds of good men being selected in the draft.

This Is like asking Bear Bryant not to use wrestling scholarships for football.

This Is like asking Bear Bryant not to use wrestling scholarships for football.
It's still a random draft. You'd have to have the entire student body there on football-adjacent athletic scholarships to rig it. That's possible but it'd harm the academics of the school.

Back